A really simple question regarding blu-ray players

Doublej

A really simple question regarding blu-ray players
« on: 17 Aug 2010, 11:58 am »
Do the mass market blu-ray players (Panny, Samsung, Sony, etc.) come with an HDMI cable in the box?

JohnR

Re: A really simple question regarding blu-ray players
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2010, 12:05 pm »
If not, they are a few $ on eBay.

mhconley

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2010, 12:12 pm »
Most do not.  Check Monoprice.com for great HDMI cables at cheap prices.

Martin

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2010, 11:25 pm »
Thanks.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:31 am »
There is a lot of talk on the net about cheap is as good as any HDMI especially in short runs, I had experience that showed that not to be true.  People spend hundreds and some times thousands on a display they owe it to themselves to at least try a higher quality HDMI to see if they notice a difference.  In this day where you can return within 30 days, and most good hi-fi shops have cables to lend, one really has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

jamesdb

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:21 am »
Here's one I have looked at recently, great materials, better than most you see at local retail stores - high-purity 4% silver plating over PCOCC (99.99999% pure) OHNO-cast copper conductors Pangea Audio - HD-24PC at a price comparable to mosthttp://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGHD24PC&variation=1 . I haven't used one, but I thought for sure I could tell a video difference when I upgraded the HDMI cable to my front projector.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:15 am »
Most do not.  Check Monoprice.com for great HDMI cables at cheap prices.

Martin

I'll second that.  I just ordered some stuff from Monoprice and made sure I order a few HDMI and Cat5e cables to have extras around.  They are cheap and good.

jamesdb

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:25 pm »
After looking at the cable selections at Monoprice I'd have to say I am pretty impressed with them, great value and hard to beat prices. The quality looks like they are comparable to most cables except those with exotic materials. I see they have HDMI cables that are standard speed and high speed, you probably want the high speed for use with blu ray and HDTV. Their high speed cables have specs as good as any of the top brands. My preference would be for the ones without the attached ferrite cores, you can always add some if you want to test them out.