OB bass and a sealed sub or just OB bass.

Danny Richie

OB bass and a sealed sub or just OB bass.
« on: 17 Aug 2010, 02:55 am »
Carrying on an earlier thought from another thread of open baffle bass and adding a sealed box for the bottom end...

I have been enjoying my V-2's in my listening room for the last month or so.

You can see a pic and info here: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=157

The two 12's that are in the bottom end are open baffle. With the transform circuit built into the SA-1 amp they do play down into the mid 20's. You can see the amp here: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=156

The bottom end is really clean, has no boom to it and has pretty good extension.

But I still added one of our single servo subs to them (because I can) and set the crossover to 25Hz. So the servo sub covers from 25Hz or so down using a second order slope. So it wasn't hard to get them to blend with the V-2's. This made them full range for sure as the single SW-12-04 woofer with the A370PEQ amp on it will play to a -3db in the teens. 

Bass is then really extended and gave the whole system a bigger presentation and became more involving. Detail levels of even the extremely low ranges covered by the servo sub are scary. I never even realized such a level of detail existed down there until the servo subs.

It still has an effect of wanting to put pressure in the room though as all boxed speakers do. The bass is super tight, but following each bass note is a little bit of a cascade feel from the room right behind it.

Comparing that to the dual SW-12-16FR servo controlled subs in the V-1 or Super-V....

See Super-V's: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73341.0

There is still no comparison.

The dual servo subs in each Super-V play right down to the rock bottom with -3db levels in the teens also. But there is no loading up of the room. It goes way low and you feel it deep down in your gut, but it is cleaner. The room interacts differently.

Then there is the fact that the servo control system plays all the way up to nearly 200Hz, and all of that great control is there in spades over the entire range. I have heard no other speaker come close. If you can afford it, get it, and you're the king.

If you can't afford it, the V-2's are still on sale!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84439.msg819136#msg819136

dvenardos

Re: OB bass and a sealed sub or just OB bass.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:03 pm »
I was just wondering about doing this as I finish up my amp/preamp projects and move onto the dual OBs from your V2 kit. Thanks for posting.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:54 pm »
someday...

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2010, 05:30 pm »
   The dual servo subs in each Super-V play right down to the rock bottom with -3db levels in the teens also. But there is no loading up of the room. It goes way low and you feel it deep down in your gut, but it is cleaner. The room interacts differently.

Danny i couldn't agree more after hearing these at LSAF a few months ago. I came away lusting after the ob/bass after hearing them.

But are these a one stop shop for HT as well, or would you still recommend a big 18" sub for visceral impact?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2010, 05:43 pm »
But are these a one stop shop for HT as well, or would you still recommend a big 18" sub for visceral impact?

I guess one has ask themselves how much is enough. I wouldn't add some big heavy, out of control, 18 though. I'd just use more of the servo subs.

jn316

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:31 pm »

Sounds like a thread I started a couple of years ago on a different forum. Unfortunately, that thread went bye-bye awhile back and definitely as of yesterday.  :(

Inside joke, Nick77.