Srajan Ebaen Sold Me Kick Ass Amplifier

nicksgem10s

Re: Srajan Ebaen Sold Me Kick Ass Amplifier
« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:20 am »
Their integrated amplifier sounded good at AK Fest back in April.  The build quality looked impressive and the distributor/dealer was very friendly.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2010, 07:56 am »
Wind Chaser: Could you share with us in greater detail of how the volume knob feels on the Ampino? Is it quite stiff and difficult to turn? Many thanks.

It isn't stiff or difficult to turn, but there is a little play that takes away from tight smooth feel on account of it not being mounted directly in behind the front face plate.  It's not a big deal and given the performance and price of the amp... it's a non issue.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:27 am »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2010, 12:02 pm »
According to the distributor I won’t know how good the Ampino is until it registers at least 150 hours.  Having just surpassed the 100 hour mark I find it hard to believe the best is yet to come.  The impression I’m getting is this amp has no secrets and it tells no lies.  There are no ‘bonus’ artifacts, just crystal clear music.  And it’s delivered without any hesitation or reservation.  Even at low volumes, the sound is incredibly satisfying and so engrossing I forgot about my empty stomach and the dinner in the oven, which burnt to crisp.  It’s inconceivable that the best is yet to come – the next 50 hours are sure going to be interesting.

RCduck7

« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:07 pm »
In the meantime i found a thread, someone posted a copy and paste from an email he received when he wanted more info of Dayens amplifiers...
It's reply 6 from paulb in link http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=149.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 11:44 pm by RCduck7 »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 8 Sep 2010, 11:19 pm »
One month later with the Ampino.

Within the 25 watt (X 2) power rating it’s hard to imagine anything… anything at all… being much better than this regardless of price.  That’s not to say there couldn’t be something better – about the only thing I’d be willing to bet on at a sane price is the Atma-Sphere OTL stuff.  Apart from that this is the amp you can take to a shoot out and expect a lot of casualties.  It does everything astonishingly well.  From top to bottom it is meticulously clean.  The soundstage is every bit as deep and wide as any tube amp I’ve heard.  The localization and presence of every nuance is delivered with astonishing clarity in its on space and time without the least bit of delay or interference from anything else going on.  This is ultra high definition.  If you’re looking for a very serious upgrade regardless of what you have, the Ampino is the ticket.  As Srajan said…. it is an ultra component that will hold its own in the context of systems that cost in excess $50,000.

denjo

« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2010, 12:16 am »
Wind Chaser: thanks for the update! Looks like the Ampino is one great performer and, at that price, it is really a no-brainer for anyone looking for a good amplifier for his main system. Since you have experience with the Virtue One, how does the Ampino compare with it? I briefly auditioned the Sensation (without tube buffer) and while I was very impressed with the clarity and dynamics, I felt fatigue on longer listening. Do you leave the amplifier "on" all the time?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2010, 12:41 am »
it’s hard to imagine anything… anything at all… being much better than this regardless of price.

If you’re looking for a very serious upgrade regardless of what you have, the Ampino is the ticket.

So it's no longer the best in its class, it's just the best.  :o Wow! For 220 Euros there's gonna be a long line waiting to get in. I really want to hear one now.

Maybe I can talk our local audio store into becoming a dealer.

mca

« Reply #28 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:13 am »
I heard there is now a dealer/Distributor in the USA. Anyone know who it is and how much they are selling them for?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:14 am »
denjo,

The Virtue One was nice, but the Ampino is a huge step forward, the most apparent difference being in warmth along with the depth of the soundstage.  The Ampino sounds rich without being fatiguing.  In contrast the Virtue, along with all the other Tripath stuff I’ve tried over the years sounds too analytical and too forward making it sound forced and artificial in the long run.  The other key difference is the apparent lack of depth.  None of the Tripath stuff I tried excelled in this area.  It seems to me that the more forward and aggressive sounding the amplifier, the more everything gets pushed to the front.

Zero

« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:20 am »
Will have to check this piece out. I've been through a lot of gear that Srajan has raved about. While I appreciate his reviews and really dig what he has going on with 6moons, I gotta admit that his ears and my ears seem to be out of phase with one another.  :lol:  That said, I haven't run into a piece of Serbian hi-fi that I didn't like.  Karan Acoustics, Vista Audio, Korato,  Yums!!   :drool:

With gear that good, it's not too hard to see why the Serbs were the first to end the career of the F-117 Nighthawk. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:21 am »
So it's no longer the best in its class, it's just the best.  :o Wow! For 220 Euros there's gonna be a long line waiting to get in. I really want to hear one now.

I never said that, but I would suspect that there isn't much out there that can beat it.  I'm inclined to agree with Srajan, who no doubt has heard a lot more uber gear than the average person.  All I know it does an extraordinary job of amplifying music.  I can hardly believe the sound coming out of my speakers, so when I listen I have open my eyes every now and then just to make sure I'm still at home with the same gear.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:24 am »
I heard there is now a dealer/Distributor in the USA. Anyone know who it is and how much they are selling them for?

The upgraded version that I have sells for $650 USD.  It is distributed exclusively by Arte Forma Audio, in North America.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #33 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:38 am »
Windchaser, I'm not doubting your experience. I thought you meant :

- it’s hard to imagine anything being much better than this regardless of price

- there isn't much out there that can beat it

- If you’re looking for a very serious upgrade regardless of what you have, the Ampino is the ticket

Did I get that right? I still want to hear it. I'm being honest.

(Thanks for explaining the price and the fact that you have the upgraded version. Good to know.)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:33 am »
Windchaser, I'm not doubting your experience. I thought you meant :

- it’s hard to imagine anything being much better than this regardless of price

- there isn't much out there that can beat it

- If you’re looking for a very serious upgrade regardless of what you have, the Ampino is the ticket

Did I get that right? I still want to hear it. I'm being honest.

Yes, and I stand by those words.  If you read Srajan Ebaen's review, he and his wife preferred the Ampino to a pair of 300B monos that would sell for over $100K in America.

lcrim

« Reply #35 on: 9 Sep 2010, 04:02 am »
The review on 6 Moons was of the basic model w/o the capacitor upgrade.  I've had the same model for over a year as I detailed http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70917.0 and am still very satisfied w/ it. 
As I mention, this is the first non single ended tube amp I've had for about ten years.  The detail retrieval  is truly top notch but what struck me first was the ability to sort complex orchestral music including macro and micro dynamics, in a very realistic manner.  To me the most difficult task for a home system to perform is to provide satisfying playback of more complex music and this amplifier does that.  This is the context mentioned in the 6 Moons review. 
It gets the timbre of instruments and voices correct.  The treble is extraordinary, revealing musical insights I had missed previously.
As good as the Ampino is, my Decware Select w/ the Hazen mod gives up very little to it save its output is more tailered to higher efficiency speakers.  A good amplifier is a good amplifier , tube or SS no matter the cost.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #36 on: 9 Sep 2010, 04:32 am »
The upgraded version that I have sells for $650 USD.  It is distributed exclusively by Arte Forma Audio, in North America.

http://arteformaaudio.com/About_Us.html

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=47878

srb

« Reply #37 on: 9 Sep 2010, 04:43 am »

I will take your word for it, as you cannot even get pricing information from the website (which has little information beyond an email address).  With hosting from $5/month, it's hard to understand using a Go Daddy-flash bannered free "website".  If I were a "North American Distributor", I would actually try to actively promote the product, especially if it's as good as many say.

Steve

Mariusz

« Reply #38 on: 9 Sep 2010, 04:51 am »

I will take your word for it, as you cannot even get pricing information from the website (which has little information beyond an email address).  With hosting from $5/month, it's hard to understand using a Go Daddy-flash bannered free "website".  If I were a "North American Distributor", I would actually try to actively promote the product, especially if it's as good as many say.

Steve

One can always conntact Zoran Dobrin of Dayens Audio in Serbia.

As far as I know, everything they do is hand-made.
Check out their new monitors if you visit their website. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 9 Sep 2010, 07:39 am »
One can always conntact Zoran Dobrin of Dayens Audio in Serbia.

That's what I did and they in turn directed me to Arte Forma.