Srajan Ebaen Sold Me Kick Ass Amplifier

Wind Chaser

Srajan Ebaen Sold Me Kick Ass Amplifier
« on: 16 Aug 2010, 10:15 pm »
I’m not a gambler or the least bit insecure about my own judgment; but sometimes because of the situation – thanks to the Internet – you can only make a purchase based on nothing more than what others have said because there’s no way to listen to it in any context unless you’re willing to travel a long distance.  So when you make a decision based on faith, all you can do is wait and hope for the best.  That’s how I came to be in possession of A Dayens Ampino.  I’ll preface my thoughts on the unit with the report that persuaded me to take a leap of faith.

Srajan Ebaen of Six Moons wrote an exceptionally outstanding review for the Dayens Ampino, calling it an ultra component… deadly to the status quo… claiming it holds its own in the context of system worth 50,000 Euros and comparing it favorably to mono blocks with a price tag of 76,000 Euros! 

Those are claims are seismic… ‘Adios terra firma’ – because the Ampino sells for less than $700 USD.  How can anyone in his right mind, even remotely connected to reality, be so audacious?  Can the sound quality of a modest entry-level amplifier conceivably compare to that of a super serious high end amplifier with the same power output?  Why would anyone with any credibility even go there? 

When such extreme statements come from an unknown voice, we can quickly dismiss them as purple haze in the brain of some buffoon who passed through the windowpanes of time and space; but these words were penned by Srajan Ebaen of Six Moons – not some sensationalist neophyte trying to make a name for himself.  And so largely on the strength of >>> Srajan’s review <<< I placed an order for the Dayens Ampino from Arte Forma Audio, the North American distributor for Dayens.

I’ll be posting some thoughts on my own experience in the forthcoming days...

~

First impressions... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70917.msg824819#msg824819
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2010, 02:07 pm by Wind Chaser »

jimdgoulding

Re: Srajan Ebaen Sold Me Kick Ass Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm »
Wow.  How often do those come around.  All the best.

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2010, 01:04 am »
Srajan is my favorite reviewer.
Not only because of the verity of gear he reviews, covering wide price range (including cheapies) but mainly due to similar taste/preferences and work ethics.

Ampino amp was (and still is) on my short list to audition/own, espouse to wider audience in the form of a tour. 
Due to shipping problems and other issues tour never happened.  Which might be a good thing ........ for its competition. 

It is probably one of those components that can be purchase blind without great risk, given that you are OK with  its power rating and basic features.

Please keep us posted.

Mariusz

lcrim

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2010, 01:19 am »
Congratulations, a year later.
I own and reviewed this piece a year ago.  Perhaps that slipped your mind.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70917.0
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2010, 02:42 am by lcrim »

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2010, 01:28 am »
Hi,

I'm sure that sjaran is a great guy and his magazine takes on a professional feel about it.

My problem is that I find some of the reviews a little 'wishy washy'.  Take for example the review of the modwright kwa 150 amplifier.  It didn't really tell me that much about the sound and I found it a bit useless to use.

I ended up buying another amplifier that was well reviewed by Jerry over at 10Audio.

Not meaning to start a  :flame: I'm just being honest with my opinion.

Regards

Rod

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2010, 02:27 am »
Well, we all have our preferences in audio.
That includes reviewers as well. :wink:

Perhaps reviewer showdown might be better suited for different circle.

I do not mind discussing it but I also do not want to take away from this thread which should be about Ampino amp.

But I do respect your opinion. :thumb:

Mariusz  :)

P.S
Since there is US distribution now, it should be easier and painless to acquire one if desired.

Looking forward to some feedback on this amp.
lcrim, please include link to your review or thread.
I am sure many will find it useful.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2010, 02:36 am »
Congratulations, a year later.
I own and reviewed this piece a year ago.  Perhaps that slipped your mind.

Larry, he mentions your thread as the place he'll be adding his thoughts once he gets the amp ;)

lcrim

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2010, 02:44 am »
Never mind.
Sorry, I jumped to a conclusion.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2010, 03:27 am »
That amp looks like a winner. Glad you brought it to light. I was wondering where all the low powered solid state amps were hiding. Looks like you found a good one!.  :D

I look forward to your impressions as an owner, maybe after the honeymoon is over.  :thumb:

When such extreme statements come from an unknown voice, we can quickly dismiss them as purple haze in the brain of some buffoon who passed through the windowpanes of time and space; but these words were penned by Srajan Ebaen of Six Moons – not some sensationalist neophyte trying to make a name for himself.

Just to add a little perspective to that statement, and sincerely without  :flame:, if we bought everything that Srajan enthusiastically recommended, we would have several systems set up at home, and more on the way. I value the real user opinions of the ACers here more than a reviewers article.

Look forward to your further comments on the amp.  8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:51 am »
I look forward to your impressions as an owner, maybe after the honeymoon is over.  :thumb:

I don't how long a 'honeymoon' should be, but as of tomorrow it will be 7 days.  At this point I can certainly say I'm not disappointed. :D

Just to add a little perspective to that statement, and sincerely without  :flame:, if we bought everything that Srajan enthusiastically recommended, we would have several systems set up at home, and more on the way. I value the real user opinions of the ACers here more than a reviewers article.

Without exception every reviewer enthusiastically recommends a lot of gear.  Srajan's review of the Ampino goes way beyond that.  But he can also be a nasty butcher; those Lars 20-watt 300B monos being a case in point.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:25 am »
A video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anGQEQ7JB1c
Cool video.  I bet that guy is in 7th heaven with his stuiff.  Get a load of his speaker stands.   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2010, 10:31 am »
Can't see the video - access denied by Surf Control.  Yeah, I'm at work.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2010, 02:51 pm »
Larry,

You've owned your Ampino for over a year. Is it still your best sounding amplifier, or do you like to switch back and forth with SETs just to change things up a little bit?

lcrim

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2010, 05:08 pm »
I just did the Hazen Mod to my Zen Select http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84804.0 and I'm thinking of putting it where the Ampino lives in the livingroom system to listen to how that sounds. 
The Zen Select has gained a lot in the dynamics department since doing the mod but normally the Ampino with the Omega Compact Hemps @ 96 dB made the music more alive by adding dynamics that weren't there previously.  The treble from the Ampino is also a strength I wasn't prepared for.  Its very extended yet never shrill or grainy.   The performance of the Select however, has changed so much it doesn't sound quite the same.  I think the comparison will be fun.

RCduck7

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:27 pm »
Wow, that amplifier caught my intrest reading all the good reviews from it (not only on Audiocircle and 6moons).
It makes me wonder how good their other components are, their pre amp, power amp and their more powerful integrated amps...
Anyone digged into this a bit deeper?? Anyways, i'm gonna google this at some point.

http://www.dayens.rs/eng_amplifiers.html

Maybe for some people the only small complaint is that it sounds just right but just maybe a bit less warm and rich compared to the sound some people like.
I think it would be intresting to use the Ampino with a tube buffer just after the source, or maybe even better use a tube buffer between the pre and power amp of Daysen if they do have the same kind of sound as the Ampino.
But maybe i'm just getting ahead of myself. :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2010, 12:40 am »
Thanks to Google Translate I read every comment on the Ampino I could find in every language.  I'm also very curious about the rest of the Dayens product line.  My only complaint with the Ampino is the feel of the volume, but as Srajan pointed out in his review it is due to the long shaft between the knob and the attenuator which is located deep inside rather than mounted directly behind the chassis.

More to come in the next day or two...

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:32 am »
Wow, that amplifier caught my intrest reading all the good reviews from it (not only on Audiocircle and 6moons).
It makes me wonder how good their other components are, their pre amp, power amp and their more powerful integrated amps...
Anyone digged into this a bit deeper?? Anyways, i'm gonna google this at some point.

http://www.dayens.rs/eng_amplifiers.html

Maybe for some people the only small complaint is that it sounds just right but just maybe a bit less warm and rich compared to the sound some people like.
I think it would be intresting to use the Ampino with a tube buffer just after the source, or maybe even better use a tube buffer between the pre and power amp of Daysen if they do have the same kind of sound as the Ampino.
But maybe i'm just getting ahead of myself. :D

Their amp looks yummy but looking at the specs, I am sure it will run a couple of thousand dollars minimum. 

denjo

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:53 am »
My only complaint with the Ampino is the feel of the volume, but as Srajan pointed out in his review it is due to the long shaft between the knob and the attenuator which is located deep inside rather than mounted directly behind the chassis.
Wind Chaser: Could you share with us in greater detail of how the volume knob feels on the Ampino? Is it quite stiff and difficult to turn? Many thanks,

Mariusz

« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:55 am »
Dayens offers matching preamp for this amp but I would like to try it with some tubes .......yeah, buffer would work just fine.