What to expect during first hours - T7SLR/Fetvalve 350EXR

revelator

I just recievd my T7SLR/350 EXR combo, and so far so good.

However, I was wondering what should I expect in terms of soundstage during the first hours of use.  Does the sound evolves into a more coherent sound, let's say after 10 hours of use.  So far the T7/350 combo does not sound bright but bass/tempo and coherence are not there yet .

I've only had about 2 hours of listening session last night

What is considered burn-in time for this new equipment ?

Any comments  appreciated

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2004, 07:46 pm »
Call Frank @ AVA.. He would have your answer.

rickweed

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2004, 03:34 am »
Hi Revelator,

I live in the Twin Cities, the home of Mr. Van Alstine.  I have on order the exact same setup that you just received in addition to a pair of his Biro speakers.  I am champing at the bit, waiting for my items to be built so that I can enjoy the wonderful sound that I auditioned in Mr. Van Alstine's listening room.  I will be very curious as to how your system burns in and your impressions as you go along.  May I ask what front end you are using and what speakers are currently in your system?  Thank you and good listening.

Rickweed

orthobiz

My Van Alstine Setup
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2004, 03:40 am »
Rickweed,

I have the T7EXR and 550EXR driving a redone pair of Dahlquists. When you were at Van Alstine's, did you audition the woofer? Any impressions?

biz

rickweed

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2004, 03:52 am »
Hi Orthobiz,

Yes, I heard the sub, and it sounded just fine with the Biro's, but I am not that deep bass oriented, myself, and also consider myself unqualified to make much of a judgement.  Mr. Van Alstine said his room wasn't quite finished yet, also.  I did my auditioning with the straight Biro's, which in real world listening will effectively go down to and handle well, the low string on an electric bass guitar, something like 42hz.  I don't do home theater and find that for me, the sub may not be necessary, although for others it may be a necessary part of their system.  One thing I can say is that Mr. Van Alstine knows his stuff, as most people who know him will agree.  Therefore, if you are in need of a sub, I would guess that his would fit the bill.  He is a very personable guy and would be more than happy to give you all the why's and wherefore's if you choose to give him a call.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

rickweed

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2004, 12:33 pm »
Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the music, it will all come to you.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2004, 12:37 pm »
Regarding the Dahlquists, I hope you have damped the framework and baskets on all the "free standing" drivers to reduce all the stray resonances from that stuff.  A 1/8 inch coating of plastic modeling clay will do the job, including the outer surface of the tweeter case.  Don't block any vent holes.  A layer of acoustic foam on the top of the woofer cabinet will help too. Without the damping the speakers definately will not image properly.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2004, 12:43 pm »
Actually this is a cheep fix for any loudspeakers.  Pull the drivers, coat the entire metal frameworks and magnets with a 1/8 inch layer of plastic modeling clay (the never hardening stuff available at art supply stores - not moretite - that has an acid base that will eat up the voice coil wires) taking care to not block vent holes or cone action.  Got horns, then wrap the outsides with a couple layers of black cloth friction tape, like a baseball bat handle.  Guaranteed more dramatic improvement in sonic quality than all the gonzo wires, cables, and dingbat high priced gismos all put together.  With most speakers the stray resonances off the undamped metal parts is only 20 dB down or less which are major musical calamities.

Frank Van Alstine

revelator

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2004, 02:03 am »
Hi rick weed,

Congrats, there is no doubt you have great equipment on order.  

My front end consists of Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player with upsampler
and Siemmens 7308 tubes.  Last night I did most of my listening with my 14+ year old Sony 333ES modified with Analog devices Op amps/ separate transformer for analog section and high speed rectifiers.  To say the least, I've never heard this old player sounding as good as this.  It must be the T7 SLR.  The phono section is also quite good. At the moment I'm using a 1980's Technics SL1800 MKII with Pickering cart.

As for speakers , I'm using DIY Scanspeak 8530 5.5" midWoofer with Vifa XT25 ring radiator tweeter via series crossover in a 11 liter vented enclosure.  To cover the bottom end, I'm using an REL Strata III sub.
The 8530's a.k.a Revelators (That's how ScanSpeak calls them) are quite good, quick and revealing but can't wait to pull out my other pair of DIY -- the Proac 2.5 DIY Clones.  These I never finished sealing because I've been waiting for the past  1.5 yrs  for the AVA purchase.  Now I can go back and voice the tweeter crossover to my personal taste.

Happy listening

orthobiz

Speaker Damping
« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2004, 02:19 am »
Hi Frank,

I spoke with you a few months ago about damping the Dahlquists, I just haven't gotten around to it. I just had them redone at Regnar out on Long Island, NY, and they look as good as new. Just haven't brought myself to slather clay over everything, but maybe I should! I think you called the clay "plasticina."

Will Blu-Tak work?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread...

biz

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2004, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
Regarding the Dahlquists, I hope you have damped the framework and baskets on all the "free standing" drivers to reduce all the stray resonances from that stuff.  A 1/8 inch coating of plastic modeling clay will do the job, including the outer surface of the tweeter case.  Don't block any vent holes.  A layer of acoustic foam on the top of the woofer cabinet will help too. Without the damping the speakers definately will not image properly.

Frank Van Alstine

Very interesting suggestion....in that I have had DQ-10s since 1974.  First thing I did was remove the rear metal screens and took "modeling clay, and damped all the speakers.

I have never heard anyone else suggest that but I found it worked quite well.

Still have a pair of these in my closet and when I find a local buyer who can appreiciate them , off they'll go clay and all. :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2004, 01:20 am »
Look what Frank did to me with all this Plast-i-Clay.....

Sounds amazing, incidentally, clay inside and OUT (front and rear).  Speakers (Optimus/Radio Shack LX-8 for $190.00 on ebay) now sound outstanding...could only be bettered if driven by a AVA amp :wink:.  As it is I have $11,000 in equipment in front of it and I'm NOT looking to upgrade speakers next - hard to believe.

Thanks for the great tip, Frank....I took it to the extreme and it really paid off.  I found the stuff for only $1.59 per lb. online.  This has to rank up there #1 with the best $20.00 I spent on audio.