help

rosconey

help
« on: 24 Feb 2004, 02:57 pm »
wtf does my sub crosover have a adjuster on it-i thought they crossed at 90 from the factory-also has 2  sets of binding posts why-
big b is too cheap to add instructions, and i'm too stoned to find my paper work from my sub from a few years ago :o
any help will be welcome :mrgreen:

another thing is this new wire better than the old monster wire :?: lol

rosconey

help
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2004, 04:53 pm »
well i opened the other crossover and its labled-it also has the worst wound inductor i have ever seen, looks like a blind monkey with no fingers wound it . wire over&under& uneven not purty at all.
the other looks perfect :o worst part is big b said he made these :nono:
i called and got a machine-  :cry:

at least i'm in a holding patteren till my tempest pre arrives, so big b has time to fix :mrgreen:

maxwalrath

Re: help
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2004, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
big b is too cheap to add instructions, and i'm too stoned to find my paper work from my sub from a few years ago :o
any help will be welcome :mrgreen:

As bad as it seems, believe me at 9:57am I wish I was in your shoes rather than in my cube.

rosconey

help
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:06 pm »
work is slow for a few weeks more then it will be balls to the walls for 9 months or so- but thats the trades-

hoped to have my 2channel rig setup before work starts again-

Wayne1

help
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:15 pm »
The passive crossover is designed to be inserted between an amp and your main speakers. One set of binding posts is for input to the passive. The other is for output to the mains. The control is to lower the volume of the mains to match the output of the sub.

From the VMPSAudio website:

Passive Crossover

Type: quasi-second order, 90Hz lowpass fixed, highpass variable mono crossover (one required per channel, non-summing), speaker level
Controls: main speaker level
Insertion loss: approximately 1.5 dB
Components: large gauge solid iron inductor, nonpolar electrolytic capacitors with polypropylene bypass, 12 gauge Monster Cable internal wiring
Mounting: mounts inside woofer cabinet

rosconey

help
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:41 pm »
thanx wayne-
but i bought for use with a seperate amp from the mains-i guess i just use the gold posts-
could the pot be made to work on the sub speakers instead of the mains -i could control the sub volume this way -my sub amps dont have a gain-
its not a problem in the system its in now but i dont have a clue how loud the sub amps will be with the new pre-

Wayne1

help
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:52 pm »
The crossover "could" be rewired to use the pot inline with the woofer, but I would not suggest it.

If your sub amp does not have any controls on it, it will be VERY hard to balance the subs to your mains.

The easiest route to take would be to use an electronic crossover that would have controls for mains and subs so you could balance everything. This is also the more expensive route.

You could put in a passive volume control before your sub amp to reduce the level. But that won't help if your mains are more efficient.

rosconey

help
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2004, 06:18 pm »
mains arent more efficient-klaus suggested a cheap passive also if needed-

just got of the phone-they want me to send it back and then they will send another-
now that i am off the phone i am kinda pissed-they already shipped a week after i was told they did :nono: a week in transit add in another week for transist too and from on the return, its getting to be too big a pain in the ass for a 45$ part - they bolth go back and i will ask for a refund :evil:

this sucks

rosconey

help
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2004, 07:41 am »
answers to people who pm'd me

i dont know if it was b i talked to but the person just didnt seem to care about the  problem, or how too fix it in a timely manner-
if it was b-get a person to do this
if it wasnt b , get a new person to do this.
after a 3 week wait i shouldnt have to wait 2 or 3 more for such a small part that could have been made and shipped this week,this wasnt offered-
only would ship new after they recieved the bad one-a 45$ dam part

also in my mind there is no way a guy who has been doing this for 20 years didnt notice that the inductor was wound wrong- none- its that bad-
so my thoughts are my order wasnt big enough so b didnt give a fuck-

no i am not a happy camper :evil: and all you vmps lovers can leave me alone-my service sucked