RMAF Show Specials - Purity Audio Design

Pez

Re: RMAF Show Specials - Purity Audio Design
« Reply #80 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:35 pm »
I really liked the Raal Tweeter a lot. Single driver Purists would definitely penalize you for using it, but I'm glad you did. Made me wish you cheated on the other end too, the bass was and always has been pathetic with the Rethms. As a matter of fact I think they even lack some fundamental richness in the lower vocal region. The over all balance was still very excellent, but I would say get some boom in yer room!

Great imaging, sound staging and probably one of the more emotionally involving rooms of the show.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #81 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:40 pm »
Bill,

So you hid your Magna Cart from me? ;) :D

I just realized John shows it in his avatar.  Is this something we can get from him?

Let me look it up since we are desperately in need of one or two.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #82 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:50 pm »
Bill,

I just realized John shows it in his avatar.  Is this something we can get from him?

Also saw them at Costco.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #83 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:51 pm »
Ah, thanks Pete.

I saw those last week and was wondering where I could get them.

Also saw them at Costco.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #84 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:12 pm »
$29.99 and free shipping for Amazon Prime: Magna Cart.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #85 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:20 pm »
Hi Hugh,
 I got my Magna Cart at Sears. There are several placed around me that have them.

Pez - While the Rethm's sounded quite good on their own, the RAAL really helped to extend the front end as well as fill in through the upper midrange. The bass was not an issue with the speaker rather how we set it up. In past years, one of the biggest complaints of rooms at shows was over powering bass and volume levels too high. We wanted a nice balance that people could sit down and enjoy for long periods of time with walking out.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #86 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:26 pm »
Hi Hugh,
 I got my Magna Cart at Sears. There are several placed around me that have them.

Pez - While the Rethm's sounded quite good on their own, the RAAL really helped to extend the front end as well as fill in through the upper midrange. The bass was not an issue with the speaker rather how we set it up. In past years, one of the biggest complaints of rooms at shows was over powering bass and volume levels too high. We wanted a nice balance that people could sit down and enjoy for long periods of time with walking out.

Bill, I left that comment out of my kudos up above, but yes, i really believe you guys nailed it with the Raal tweeter idea.  Most rooms were boom boxes that overloaded the rooms, or were so out of balance.  Maybe you should patent your idea with Rethm.  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #87 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:35 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Too little bass is way better than having too much bass. 

For a show, I would definitely lean towards the too little side of equation.  Sounds like you made the right decision Bill.

George

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #88 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:43 pm »
George,

I couldn't agree with you more.

The lighting and the sound kept me going back to this room instead of my own. :)

Too little bass is way better than having too much bass. 

For a show, I would definitely lean towards the too little side of equation.  Sounds like you made the right decision Bill.

George

Mariusz

« Reply #89 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:05 pm »
I wonder which Raal tweeter was used :scratch:
Looks like a secret project with all that foam wrap around it :scratch:
Could it be  70-20XR???

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #90 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:11 pm »
Hey there Mariusz,
 It is not a secret project rather a new piece that has not yet been introduced. It is a new dipole RAAL that Alex was kind enough to let us use. If you heard it in out room, you are amoung the only people to see and hear this new piece. Also, there is no foam wrapped around it, other than the small foam pieces mounted on it, that is the size of the frame.

You'll be seeing more of it from us :wink:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #91 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:23 pm »
Bill,

Thanks for the free press, fella's 8)

If you have a lot of stuff to haul, and don't expect to be running over uneven surfaces (ie, curbs, stairs, etc) the new'ish unit pictured in my avatar is the one to get.  It's 2-3x the cost of the 2-wheeled Magna Cart we're best known for...but it hauls 300lbs (very conservatively, as are all our stuff), has 6x the solid surface loading area as the 2-wheeler.

It compacts down to barely 1" thicker than the 2-wheeler...and the same width and height.  It weighs 2x as much at 14.2lbs....but no one carries these; that's just when you need storage on it.

It's the FLATFORM TRUCK....available widely online and gradually seeding into retail locations now :thumb:

Seriously, it's the most innovative product we've ever had here and we have a pretty good track record for innovation:

http://www.welcomproducts.com/flatform.gif

John

Mariusz

« Reply #92 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:24 pm »
Hey there Mariusz,
 It is not a secret project rather a new piece that has not yet been introduced. It is a new dipole RAAL that Alex was kind enough to let us use. If you heard it in out room, you are amoung the only people to see and hear this new piece. Also, there is no foam wrapped around it, other than the small foam pieces mounted on it, that is the size of the frame.

You'll be seeing more of it from us :wink:

I think it is going to be available ONLY to manufacturers who got contract with Raal. I could be wrong tho. anyway, I want a pair off the books :lol:

mdfoy

« Reply #93 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:29 pm »
Bill,

Very nicely done :o

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
RMAF 2010 - My first show experience
« Reply #94 on: 28 Oct 2010, 04:47 pm »
RMAF was my first ever show experience so I was not sure what to expect. I was there as a vendor but also wanted to make the rounds and meet as many people as I could find time for on a personal level.

The best part about the show for me was the number of fine people I was able to finally meet in person after only speaking with them via emails and phone conversations over the year.

I would love to be able to list and thank everyone I meet at the show but with a couple hundred handshakes, I won't even try to list them as I don't want to leave anyone out.

I just want to throw out a big thank you to everyone who helped make my first show experience such a great success and memory. This includes all the AC members, consumers, manufacturers as well as all the reviewers and editors I was able to hang with.

I was able to find a little time to make it to some rooms of interest. There was some gear that I made an effort to see and hear as well as meet in person the designers and owners. There was a lot of great systems at the show and I only wish I had more time for more rooms.

It was great to hear the AC manufacturers' systems and meet the people responsible for them.

It was a lot of work being at RMAF but I am glad I was able to get out and meet so many fine people. I look forward to next year where I hope to meet even more of those people currently only known by their voice, email address or avatar :lol:

Bill Baker

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #95 on: 30 Oct 2010, 03:02 pm »
Thanks for the free press, fella's

Well deserved John. I will have to grab a Flatform Truck for the shop. Another great use for the Magna Cart is sporting events. I can't tell you how many coolers it has brought out to the football and baseball fields!

I think it is going to be available ONLY to manufacturers who got contract with Raal.

I beleive that's the situation but don't know for sure.

Bill,

Very nicely done

Thank you sir. We had a great time.

Jed

• Industry Participant
    • Clearwave Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #96 on: 30 Oct 2010, 04:12 pm »

I think it is going to be available ONLY to manufacturers who got contract with Raal. I could be wrong tho. anyway, I want a pair off the books :lol:

Solen has a dipole ribbon by RAAL available: http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_catalogue_fiche.php?id=2658&recherche=&numRows=&manufacturiers=22&niveau1=1&niveau2=1&niveau3=

Really interesting technology. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Purity Audio Design - Best Of Show - StereoMojo
« Reply #98 on: 5 Nov 2010, 09:12 pm »
The Purity One makes "Best Value - New Preamp". at Stereo Mojo

http://www.stereomojo.com/RMAF%202010/RockyMountainAudioFest2010BestofShowAwards.htm

mdfoy

« Reply #99 on: 5 Nov 2010, 09:31 pm »
Bill,

Get ready for some GOOD problems  :thumb: