Tube size question??--It Fits, Sounds excellent

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Tube size question??--It Fits, Sounds excellent
« on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:48 pm »
I have a tube buffer that takes 5654 tubes and I saw some 5654RT tubes and bought some, they'll fit?? or does the RT designation bugger things up?
Thanks
 Ed
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 03:22 pm by eclein »

JakeJ

Re: Tube size question??
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2010, 12:13 am »
Hi eclein,

I did some web slogging and TubeDepot states the 5654 is a 7 pin sharp cutoff pentode and has two equivalent types, the 6AK5 and the EF95.  Perhaps you have a military grade tube and the "RT" stands for Radio Technique, a French manufacturer?

Hope this helps.

decal

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2010, 12:17 am »
From what I can find on the internet,the 5654RT was manufactured by Radio-Technical(or Technique as stated above) ,thus the RT designation.It should be the same as any 5654 tube,though I am far from an expert on the subject.Why not call the manufacturer of your equipment and ask them to be 100% sure?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2010, 12:20 am »
I think I'm OK..its 7 pin and the other numbers (6AK5 and EF95) both are listed as compatible....Thanks guys!!!

eclein

• Volunteer
Re: Tube size question??--It Fits, Sounds excellent
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2010, 03:32 pm »
I got my 5654RT tubes today from The Tube Shop, they sound excellent, very 3 dimensional, revealing and all those descriptive words that really mean-Sounds Good!!!
 The tube is described only as 5654RT Pentode on the website and at 6ish a clip I was in for two...the box the actual tubes come in says "National Tube"(Red and Black Box with White copy) National Electronics, Inc. from somewhere that I can't read. Anyway these sound excellent, best yet so far and I have tried GE5654W's and Chinese 6J1's...now for some Mullards I saw on ebay--next month's audio budget. :thumb: :thumb:

JakeJ

Re: Tube size question??--It Fits, Sounds excellent
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:34 pm »
Kewl!  Glad it worked out and thanks for following up.