Would forward- and back-facing Alpha 15s on two OBs work?

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
Im fairly new to the Alpha 15 enhancing B200 experience and am thinking, as have others, that if two are good, four should be more gooder.

But I just cannot get my head around the concept of having a mega-baffle, that holds two Alphas and a B200, in a smallish room.

So I was wondering whether this concept - a modified A frame - might be worth a try.

I will keep the B200 and the Alpha as they are in a compact short baffle tilted up towards the listerner a little. I will then build another baffle, say the height of the front one, minus the 8 or 9 inches for the B200. I will then lean that up against the back of the front baffle so the B200 is still open, and the rear Alpha is pointing, say, half way up the front wall. So the whole speaker would like kind of like a modified A frame, if viewed from the side.

Im guessing I would have to wire the Alphas out of phase, given the magnets are facing each other, essentially.

While the Alphas wouldnt exactly be OB, they are hardly boxed either.

Has anyone tried a baffle anything like this? Any comments on whether it might work?

Everyone here at home really likes the fact that the current baffle is so short; I dont want another pair of coffins back in the room.

opnly bafld

Re: Would forward- and back-facing Alpha 15s on two OBs work?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2010, 09:02 pm »

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
Re: Would forward- and back-facing Alpha 15s on two OBs work?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm »
Yeah, that CS1 is kind of what I was considering, though 4 Alphas per side would be overkill for me.

And I want to keep the thing as streamlined as possible, hence the idea of an A frame. That way the Alphas also are both as grounded as is physically possible.

And I also don't want to go active; passive is way simpler and cheaper.

What Im going to do then is build the A frame whenever I get a spare moment, insert the B200s and Alphas, and see if that sounds okay. If so, I will order some more Alphas - who cares at $59 each - and cut out another hole in the rear baffle and throw them in.

Meantime, I'd better let the first lot of Alphas I already have run in first.

Could anyone tell me whether or not imaging and staging are better if the B200 is offset to the outside of the baffle in relation to the Alpha below?

Also, how close should the B200 be to the Alpha? Can it ever be too close physically?

In other words, is integration enhanced by having the two drivers as close to each other as is physically possible?

Finally, is imaging any better by rounding off the top of the baffle above where the B200 sits, ie, by making the baffle much the same shape, only a little bigger, as the B200 on top?

Luigi