itunes problem in lumping different CDs with same title together

borism

This may be a simple issue and just reflective of my inexperience. I am building a library in itunes by ripping my CD collection. Now, there are multiple CDs with the title "Greatest Hits". For example I imported Queen "Greatest Hits" followed by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Greatest Hits". Itunes then lumps them all under "Various Artists" "Greatest Hits" in the grid mode. When I look under the list mode sorted by artists everything is fine, but list sorted by album all kinds of "Greatest Hits" are all mixed up - Elton John, Crosby Stills and Nash, Santana etc. This issue makes the grid mode less useful as an interface. Anyone else having this issue?

srb

You could change the album names to

Elton John - Greatest Hits
Queen - Greatest Hits
Santana - Greatest Hits

Select all the songs for one album and globally edit the album name.  In the future, you should also edit the album name after ripping as opposed to doing it in the CD song list prior to ripping, so that the album artwork can be found.

Steve

skunark

I just deselect the complilations box for greatest hits. 

Quiet Earth

Yep.

Select the album, highlight all of the tracks, and press command i (on a mac).

Do you want to edit multiple information? Answer yes.

Go to the sort tab and look at the compilation button. Select or de-select.

Or go to the sorting tab and try fixing the album artist information. (Sort by artist or album artist instead of album title.)

srb

The songs do not get tagged as compilations when they are ripped as separate CDs (that only happens at the time of ripping when different artists are on the same CD, i.e. a true compilation).

I still prefer my method of renaming the album name, as it provides separation whether you are sorting the Album column by Album or Album by Artist.  I checked my library, and I actually had renamed the album names to this convention, which I prefer:

Greatest Hits (Elton John)
Greatest Hits (Queen)
Greatest Hits (Santana)

Steve

skunark

The OP indicated that his greatest hits were lumped into a "Various Artists" category, this only has happened with me on CDs that were incorrectly tagged as compilations at the time of ripping.    Otherwise it should be a simple sort by artist and album.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2010, 06:16 am by skunark »

borism

Thank you all for the helpful comments. I knew it must be something simple and that I was just missing it.

Steve,
Your suggestion of adding the artist name after the album name such as "Greatest Hits (Queen)" worked like a charm. Wish all my problems were as easily solved!