Preamp or integrated amp with bass management?

Cacophonix

Preamp or integrated amp with bass management?
« on: 10 Aug 2010, 08:21 pm »
So i've a pair of selah symmetrica line arrays that i really love. But the 3" drivers in a sealed cabinet can go only so low ... so i've a rythmik servo sub. I've a adcom gfp750 that has 2 sets of outputs. I connect one to the sub, and the other to khartago mono amps.
- First problem is that there is not sufficient gain for the sub.
- And the other is that i don't want to run the arrays as full range.

I could buy a NHT X2 or a paradigm X30 to solve the issue, but i'm not very keen on increasing the amount of components or interconnects.

So i'm looking for recommendations for a preamp that has an active highpass and lowpass outputs. Or even better, an integrated amp (atleast 100 real watts) that does the same function.

Reading the posts here, i see that parasound 2100 has bass management, though i'm not sure if the output is high pass or if its full range.

Any suggestions? Price point is ~$1000 for a preamp, and ~2k for an integrated.

Thanks!

srb

Re: Preamp or integrated amp with bass management?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2010, 08:45 pm »
The Parasound Model 2100 preamplifier has one set of full-range outputs and one set of fixed 80Hz high-pass outputs and the subwoofer output low-pass filter is adjustable from 20Hz - 140Hz (rear panel control).

The Parasound Halo P7 preamplifier has outputs that are selectable between full-range, 50Hz high-pass or 80Hz high-pass, and the subwoofer output is selectable between 50Hz or 80Hz low-pass (both from display menu).  The P7 also has one set of 7.1 single-ended inputs, one set 7.1 balanced inputs and stereo balanced outputs.  Additional features include input naming and +20dB/-20dB adjustable input offset.  Although it retails for $2000, a used one just sold on Audiogon for $1000.

Steve

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2010, 08:45 pm »
If you want to limit the frequencies your arrays will be reproducing, a crossover, despite needing some interconnects is far and away, the best way to accomplish this.  Look into Marchand Electronics http://www.marchandelec.com/

Cacophonix

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2010, 03:34 am »
Thanks, Steve! Looks like P7 might be the preamp i might need, but i'm not sure about the sound quality. Audioholics didn't have good things to say about it. My adcom is wonderful - great build quality, awesome passive mode ... i'd really like the replacement to sound as good, if not better.

lcrim - I did consider marchand ... but they are expensive :(

Also, what about behringer DCX/DEQ 2496?