Five Channel Class D Amplifier

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Five Channel Class D Amplifier
« on: 9 Aug 2010, 01:00 pm »
Five Channel Class D: Model SS-1250

250 watts into 5 channels, 8 ohms!
Separate dual toroid power supply with industrial/commercial cast aluminum body bridge rectifiers and I/C grade capacitors.

Wood shown is quilted maple.

JeffBrown

Re: Five Channel Class D Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2010, 01:18 pm »
Oooo  Tell me more, Tell me more!   :drool:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:32 pm »
I'll have more info posted soon.

A specification of interest:

The power supply is using one massive toroid and a second nearly as massive one used as a support supply. This raises efficiency and assures a rock-soild performance. Supply weight: 25lbs  :drool:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2010, 04:03 pm »
Price?

George

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2010, 07:30 pm »
Price of the model shown is $2100.00. A basic steel enclosure model 125w/8 ohm model is $1800.00.

Note: A three channel amp is available too.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2010, 11:01 am by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2010, 07:45 pm »
Specifications for the model shown: SS-1250

Channels: 5
Power Output: 250 watts x 5 into 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 20-20,000hz
Power Supply: 800 watts RMS, dual toroid, dual rectifier, dual capacitor banks, Speakon output jack
Cooling: Rear ported, convection
Integrated: Two stereo volume controls, one mono control
Chassis/finish: Hand-crafted quilted maple w/ optional decorative base & dovetail joints
Badge: Solid anodized aluminum, engraved
Inputs: Gold plated RCA's
Outputs: Insulated gold plated 5-ways
Power cord: Reinforced 14-3 with Speakon plugs

Available in several wood varieties as well as colors for steel-only enclosures

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2010, 07:48 pm »
Price of the model shown is $2100.00. A basic steel enclosure model 125w/8 ohm model is $1600.00.

I take it that's for a painted steel chassis?

srb

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2010, 07:57 pm »
Niteshade,

A few questions:

You had expressed interest in, and I believe had acquired some of the Class D Audio boards.  Are these the boards you are using, i.e. SDS-258?

When you say "volume controls", do you mean gain controls?

Many in the Class D DIY thread have been increasing the power supply capacitance, or sourcing another power supply board with larger capacitance.  Since you mentioned the 800VA transformer, can you also list the associated capacitance?

Steve

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2010, 08:19 pm »
The painted steel chassis model is $1600.00 and is 125 watts into 8 ohms. It still comes with a seperate power supply like this model.

I take it that's for a painted steel chassis?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2010, 08:26 pm »
The boards used are the SDS-258 for the model shown.

Combined wattage output of the power supply is 800 watts. Two toroids are used due to space limitations. You're right- I meant gain controls. The stock plastic ones are not used. I am using Alpha pots instead. Total capacitance is 40,000uf. The bridge rectifiers are rated for 25 amps each. Suggested fuse is either a 7 or 8 amp. Anything less will blow after a few on-off cycles.

LejfK

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2010, 12:03 am »

Price/specs of the three channel?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2010, 11:00 am »
Our base model three channel amp is $1400.00. This includes two painted steel enclosures, one for the power supply and another for the audio circuits.

Specifications:

1] High performance power supply with cast aluminum industrial diodes and capacitors. Speak-on connectors are used as well as reinforced 14-3 cable to deliver DC current to the amplifier.

2] Power: 125 watts into 8 ohms x 3 from 20 to 20,000hz

3] Chassis size: 17x10x3 for both units. Weight: Approx. 35lbs total.

4] Insulated 5-ways are used for speaker posts & gold plated RCA's for inputs

5] IEC power socket

Color choice is yours free of charge.

This is an example of a Durango copper chassis:

NOTE: The five channel amp listed above with a steel enclosure is $1800.00 with the upgraded 250w/ 8ohm Class D modules. $1600.00 was an error.

New Praetorian

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:59 am »
I have now been listening to this amp for a while and feel I am ready to post a quick review.  First I have to say it is a very good looking amp.  The wood working on both sections is top notch. 

Ok on to the sound.  I had Blair build this amp to go into my music / theater room.  I have Hawthorne PSI Trios (large open baffles speakers), an SVS PC Ultra subwoofer and a Marantz SR5004 SSR as my core system.  I use a Denon turn table to spin vinyl and I am currently using my computer as my source for my digital library.

First I am going to comment on this amps greatest strength, Power.  Lots and lots of good clean quiet power.  Movies are an absolute treat.  The sound is very DYNAMIC.  I have not come close to pushing this amp anywhere close to its limits. 

Next I want to mention how it helped with the sound of the front three speakers.  I used to just amp my two main speakers and let the Marantz handle the center and surrounds.  I am glad I made the change.  The center now blends exceptionally well with the mains.  It makes for a much more enjoyable movie watching experience.

Music - This amp can be very musical.  I would say that it will amplify whatever you send it with athority.  To me it is a very neutral amp.  Two channel music is a joy to listen to.  I feel that the amp is a little more "tight" than many of the other amps I have listened to.  The sound stage is very detailed and everything seems to be right in its place.  This is not to say that the sound stage is limited.  It is just very detailed.  So if you like your music very detailed, without any softening of imperfections in the recording, then this is the amp for you.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.  I have been listening to this amp while composing this review and I somehow have lost about an hour of time .  Wonder how that happened?   :D

Jeff

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2010, 11:33 am »
Thanks for the great review!!

If anybody has questions about our solid state amps, you're welcome to ask. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:23 pm »
I had Blair build this amp to go into my music / theater room. 
Hey cool, another home theater guy!
Would be great to see pictures of your theater in the HT Circle 'sticky' thread.  :icon_twisted: :wink:

Great review Jeff, nice to hear they're working out for you.
Bob

New Praetorian

« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2010, 06:38 pm »
Would be great to see pictures of your theater in the HT Circle 'sticky' thread.  :icon_twisted: :wink:

Ok Bob, I will see what I can do  :D.  The room is now basically finished and I am just organizing all of the wires now.  Going to have a get together next Friday to show off the complete system!

Jeff

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:01 pm »
Is the two box design for the digital amp something new for Niteshade Audio?  Can it still be done in one box for 2 channels?  What are the advantages?  Am I nuts or is the old thread regarding the digital amps gone from the circle?

What would be the cost (in a metal case) for 125 watt/8 ohm/channel or 250 watt/8 ohm/channel?  How much for a pair of monoblocks in metal cases (125 watt/8 ohm and 250 watt/8 ohm)?

TIA

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:28 am »
Hello-

The SS-500 (125 watts, 8 ohms and 250 watts into 4 ohms) is $850.00 in a steel enclosure.

The SS-500VER2 (250 watts, 8 ohms) is $1000.00 in a steel enclosure.

Both these amps are a single enclosure design. A separate power supply is used with three or more channels.

It is not recommend to use the SS-500VER2 in bridged mode, but it could be made into a mono block by using only one channel. The SS-500 is bridgeable, so for mono blocks the price would be $850.00 each. Version two would be $1000.00 each.

If you have other questions, I will be happy to answer them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2010, 05:16 pm »
Blair,

Wasn't there a thread here in the Niteshade circle that introduced/explained these amps?  I've looked again and don't see it.

BTW I really appreciate having someone like you who (electronically) "goes both ways" (tubes and class D).  Some do hybrids, but I'm not aware of another who seems comfortable offering either/or options.  Keep up the good work.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2010, 10:03 am »
I don't believe a thread was ever started discussing my Class D line. There is a writeup on the web site regarding their qualities.

I will start a thread for my Class D amps.