VPI SDS use question

kgturner

VPI SDS use question
« on: 9 Aug 2010, 12:16 am »
I recently made several upgrades to my Scoutmaster and now have an SDS. I've got everything set up and running, but just had a question about the operation of the SDS. When the SDS is on, but the table is off, the voltage is steady at 72. When I turned the table on and set it to 33 RPM, the voltage jumps to 84. Changing to 45 RPM makes the voltage increase to 102. I just wanted to make sure this was normal operation as I'm not familiar with the SDS and the manual (like most VPI manuals) isn't very clear.

Kevin T

TheChairGuy

Re: VPI SDS use question
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2010, 04:24 am »
I'm not certain Kevin....but, as unhelpful as VPI's manuals are - they are over-and-above helpful by phone, fortunately.

I've found that to be the case in the past and it's a familiar enough refrain from other vinylphools :)

John 

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2010, 01:02 pm »
As I understand it the SDS raises the voltage for 30-60 seconds to get the platter up to speed. Then it drops it down to about 70V to maintain that speed. Kind of like stepping on the gas to get off the line, then coasting for stability. See if the voltage drops after a minute of use.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:00 pm »
  You may trying plugging your CDP into it . Wonderfull things may happen. Give it a try.

charles