A Couple Questions

pjchappy

A Couple Questions
« on: 7 Aug 2010, 08:13 pm »
1.  What are some good on-line stores to buy modern records?
2.  Any suggestions on what to tell a friend (if anything) if he is playing records on a old, cheap, improperly set-up system that is probably rather quickly destroying the records he plays?

I am not into vinyl.  However, a friend of mine is and spends will sometimes buy some apparently rare modern recordings and play them on the system.  For instance, he spent close to $300 a few years back for a Kings of Leon (supposedly rare) LP.  He is now looking for a copy of Black Rebel Motorcyle Club's 'HOWL' on vinyl.

Gracias!

Paul

Wayner

Re: A Couple Questions
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2010, 08:20 pm »
There are the usual big stores like www.acousticsounds.com. www.musicdirect.com and www.elusivedisc.com, but I have also found stores within eBay, and some of these guys do a great job.

Wayner

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2010, 08:37 pm »
For online, I hit amazon first.
If someone is willing to pay 300 bucks for an album, it shouldn't be too hard to convince him that an old beat stylus and turntable will be slicing the highs off of the grooves.
Vinyl playback has come a long way over the years and getting a good turntable, cartridge and phono stage will help your buddy get the most out of his purchases.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2010, 10:12 pm »
He is now looking for a copy of Black Rebel Motorcyle Club's 'HOWL' on vinyl.

I do not believe this album has ever been issued on vinyl.

--Jerome

rcag_ils

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2010, 11:31 pm »
Does this "Black Rebel Motorcyle Club" record their music on tape?

decal

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2010, 12:01 am »
1.  What are some good on-line stores to buy modern records?
2.  Any suggestions on what to tell a friend (if anything) if he is playing records on a old, cheap, improperly set-up system that is probably rather quickly destroying the records he plays?

I am not into vinyl.  However, a friend of mine is and spends will sometimes buy some apparently rare modern recordings and play them on the system.  For instance, he spent close to $300 a few years back for a Kings of Leon (supposedly rare) LP.  He is now looking for a copy of Black Rebel Motorcyle Club's 'HOWL' on vinyl.

Gracias!

Paul

No offense,but your friend seems rather foolish.Oh well,to each his own. :scratch:

rcag_ils

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2010, 12:46 am »
No offense,but your friend seems rather foolish.Oh well,to each his own.

But he likes the Kings of Leon, and the Black Rebel Motorcyle Club, what do you mean he's foolish  :nono:

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2010, 12:50 am »
I think he meant that its foolish to cause premature record wear by playing them on an improperly set up turntable.

--Jerome

decal

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2010, 02:42 am »
I think he meant that its foolish to cause premature record wear by playing them on an improperly set up turntable.

--Jerome
Exactly.

analognut

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2010, 12:45 am »
Buying online LPs? I do it at ebay. I search for an artist and include the phrase "sealed LP" behind the artist's name. Hard to beat an unopened record for $5. I like ebay because I can set my own price. I know many of the stores are charging what seems like too much, but I have found many with really good prices. I found one the other day with literally tons of sealed BlueNote re-issues for $10.50 each. I don't know if this is a good deal or not, seems like it might be, but I didn't really want to pay that much.  :)

Blackmore

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2010, 03:01 am »
Tell your friend to get in the car and both of you head for St. Louis for some turntable rejuvenation.  :lol:  The GAS guys have a lot of alignment tools and digital gauges to help him out.  Just be sure to bring some Gates BBQ or some Stroud's chicken as payment :drool:  That way you don't have to tell him his table is lousy, we get some good eats and he can visit Euclid Records and The Record Exchange for some new vinyl goodies.