What size spade for older 4B speaker post?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
What size spade for older 4B speaker post?
« on: 6 Aug 2010, 01:19 pm »
So I'm thinking of making my own bi-wires, will need to get 4 spades. Searched the forum, not much said about size, and the owners manual only says gold overlay is a good idea. The spades on the Bryston site are small and large, but what does that mean? Does it relate to the size of the spade opening, or the size wire it takes only?

Anyway, looking at Cardas;

GRS C
Two piece, stamped spade, Copper. Brass cover, Gold plate. One .10" cable terminating hole.

The forked opening is 0.303 wide and 0.410 'deep'.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Most likely use with 11ga. wire.

Gene

sfraser

Re: What size spade for older 4B speaker post?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2010, 10:22 pm »
So I'm thinking of making my own bi-wires, will need to get 4 spades. Searched the forum, not much said about size, and the owners manual only says gold overlay is a good idea. The spades on the Bryston site are small and large, but what does that mean? Does it relate to the size of the spade opening, or the size wire it takes only?

Anyway, looking at Cardas;

GRS C
Two piece, stamped spade, Copper. Brass cover, Gold plate. One .10" cable terminating hole.

The forked opening is 0.303 wide and 0.410 'deep'.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Most likely use with 11ga. wire.

Gene

Might want to provide the S/N of the amp. The 4b's had a long run, i would not be surprised if they may of changed the speaker post size at some point along the way.

etcarroll

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2010, 11:18 pm »
It's an oldie, turning 30 next June.

Rob80b has the 'before' pic of my amp in my thread, it shows the rear a little;

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80816.msg792609#msg792609

TooManyToys

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2010, 11:40 pm »
Good lord Gene.  Bi-wire with 11ga!

(I've tried 9ga).

etcarroll

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2010, 12:08 am »
Swedish cable, 4 in 1 run, $18 a meter - Supra Rondo 4x4.0.

etcarroll

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2010, 09:00 pm »
I had done a quick biwire test the other day when Pumpkinman stopped by to help me align my tt cart, he also brought some MIT biwires, giving rise to this entry I made in the biwire thread;

"The reason I ask is a friend brought by a set of MIT  bi-wires, but they were too short for 1 speaker, so set up 1 bi-wired, left other with Monoprice 16ga. and the speaker's supplied jumper.

Bi-wired sounded fuller with better bass."

So today I fashioned some biwires to the same speaker we ran the MIT cable to last week, using generic, solid 12ga copper cable I bought from hardware, and cheap-o spade lugs.

Not the same result as with the MIT cable, in fact I thought no change at all.

Wasn't until I got to a Porcupine Tree song, lots of bass, guitar, slow moody vocals, hi-hat cymbal, and during the break, a Steve Wilson acoustic guitar riff of 30 seconds, that I heard it. The acoustic guitar was fuller, more resonant, more 'wood' sounding. But outside of that, not so much difference.

Makes one wonder what that 'black box' on the MIT wires is doing?

However, I think with better cables and connectors, bi-wiring will give me another 5% improvement in sound, which combined with the new hospital grade outlet, diy PC, and other minor tweaks, is slowly getting me there.  :wink:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2010, 10:23 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the report.

etcarroll

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2010, 07:09 pm »
Got my wire today, Rondo 4x4.0, which I'll terminate with Nakamichi bananas and gold plated spades a little cheaper than the Cardas ones, 8 of each. Weekend project  :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2010, 07:52 pm »
Nice cables.

etcarroll

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:18 am »
Terminated cable with a combo of 8 Nakamichi bananas and 8 Exodus EX-SP-Econo @ $7.50 for the spades. They're a nice fit, spade opening width: 5/16" or 8mm at opening then it narrows down to 1/4" or 6mm for use with smaller diameter binding post. This allows it to be used with either large diameter 5/16" style post or smaller diameter 1/4" post.

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2010, 12:19 pm by etcarroll »

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:43 am »
Where did you get Nakamichi bananas? I never knew they sell connectors? I have one of their old tape decks from the 80s...

etcarroll

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:50 am »
Ebay.

I had been using Monoprice ones, but they kept coming loose.

Sold my Nak LX-5 last year, bought it in '83.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Nakamichi-BFA-Banana-Plug-Connector-24K-0153845-USA-/350330882883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2010, 07:49 pm »
Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Nakamichi-BFA-Banana-Plug-Connector-24K-0153845-USA-/350330882883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Right, I hear ya. Thanks for the info, those look pretty cool. As long as they work good, that's what's most important.

etcarroll

« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2010, 08:00 pm »
They work very well, have to push a little to get them seated, unlike the monoprice ones that kind of slide in and out after awhile.

I thought I might solder the banans as I did the spades, (below), but after pulling the bananas out of speakers and amp to remove them from the old wire, and seeing/feeling the resistance they still had for being moved, I just used the double screws internally, and left it at that.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2010, 09:18 pm »
Ebay.

I read somewhere that there Nakamichi doesn't actually make banana plugs..........Bill

Found ithttp://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio-sq-forum/42705-nakamichi-rcas.html
I can't say that this is accurate

vegasdave

« Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2010, 09:39 pm »
They work very well, have to push a little to get them seated, unlike the monoprice ones that kind of slide in and out after awhile.

I thought I might solder the banans as I did the spades, (below), but after pulling the bananas out of speakers and amp to remove them from the old wire, and seeing/feeling the resistance they still had for being moved, I just used the double screws internally, and left it at that.

Cool. Looks good.

etcarroll

« Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2010, 09:42 pm »

I read somewhere that there Nakamichi doesn't actually make banana plugs..........Bill
\

As I understand it Bill, Nak is just a Japanese conglomerate that buys companies and sells their stuff with the Nakamichi name on it, much like GE here in the states, or Siemens in Germany.

So, the company making Nakamichi tape decks is a different group than the one making Nakamichi connectors, but they all report up to Nakamichi corporate at the end of the day.

By the way, what are you doing reading my posts, shouldn't you be working on the floor? If you left that job half done Cathy will be bitter!  :nono:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2010, 09:50 pm »

By the way, what are you doing reading my posts, shouldn't you be working on the floor? If you left that job half done Cathy will be bitter!  :nono:

Fist off you get your under wear in a twist if I don't read your posts and I'm finished for today. I am
satisfied with my progess Thank You very much. You can't have no music cause you be on the welfare......Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JfMCBh1sJQ

etcarroll

« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2010, 10:17 pm »
Ahhhhhhhhhhh....................  you got me there.  :P