World's Best CD Player?

JackD201

Re: World's Best CD Player?
« Reply #120 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:38 am »
There's a review up on Positive Feedback Online on the EERA Tentation. Learner is a straight shooter. I like his reviews because he's got the balls to make actual comparisons.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #121 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:26 am »
Haven't the faintest but one I'm fairly certain I could appreciate is the Esoteric X-05.  Cheers.

I'm auditioning one of these right now and it is a freakin' awesome player. Smokes my current player in most areas. No digital in, unfortunately. It's being replaced soon by the new K0-5 which does have digital ins. Pricey but really really nice...

D.D.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #122 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:40 pm »
I just sprang for the Naim UnitiServe SSD so my MAC MCD500 will be relegated to DAC duties and playing the occasional SACD.  It doesn't appear that a new CD player is in my future.  My dealer gave me a healthy discount and has included over 2TB of FLAC files.  I'll let y'all know how it sounds.

JackD201

« Reply #123 on: 17 Nov 2011, 03:11 pm »
Can I have all your CDs then, ol' buddy of mine?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #124 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:12 am »
Sure Jack ole buddy...but every single one is a collectible...so 1500 X (at least) $20...that should do it.  Paypal or gold coins?  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #125 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:07 am »
My DAC is a $250 used Adcom.
My transports are used Sony five disc machines..
State of the art Cd playback is not in my budget.
I am satisfied with what i have for Cd playback.
(If i had thirty large i would buy bigger speakers and amps...)
I certainly would not blow ten plus grand on a CD source.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #126 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:33 am »
My DAC is a $250 used Adcom.
My transports are used Sony five disc machines..
State of the art Cd playback is not in my budget.
I am satisfied with what i have for Cd playback.
(If i had thirty large i would buy bigger speakers and amps...)
I certainly would not blow ten plus grand on a CD source.
+1, especially since my ~$250 modded art di/o dac, connected to pretty-much any half-decent transport has gone toe-to-toe w/a few digital systems from ~$2k to $8k and easily held its own...  (i presently am using an audio alchemy acd pro for a transport, that i picked up for ~$300.)

the only kilo-buck digital rig that has caught my interest is the ~$9k memory player 64.  but, i'd still be waiting a few years for a used iteration, and only if it's really all that it's cracked up to be.  an audition would definitely be required...

ymmv,

doug s.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #127 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:56 am »
There's a review up on Positive Feedback Online on the EERA Tentation. Learner is a straight shooter. I like his reviews because he's got the balls to make actual comparisons.

The easy way:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue58/eera.htm

Enjoy.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #128 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:30 pm »
Sounds like the Tentation is a great player but seems very shortsighted to omit digital inputs on a $12K player.

JackD201

« Reply #129 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm »
So when will you be done rippin' those 1500 CDs Gavin? I'll ask for them again when you're done.  :D

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #130 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:59 am »
I'll have to deliver them in person I suppose...a good single malt will do me.

JackD201

« Reply #131 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:11 am »
Single Malt? Your hump ...ehem...your wish is my command!

TONEPUB

« Reply #132 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:15 am »
Considering I've got three of the world's best CD players at my disposal, (Naim CD555, TAD 600 and dCS Paganini) I'd love to hear one of these and see how it stacks up against the competition.  Also have the Sim 750D and the dCS Debussy handy...

So Albert, whenever you want to send one by, let me know!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #133 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:26 am »
Single Malt? Your hump ...ehem...your wish is my command!

WHAT hump?  :scratch:

JackD201

« Reply #134 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:28 am »
I'd love to read that comparo Jeff, especially if the new Spectral 4000 can find it's way into the bunch as well.

I seem to be moving backwards technologically. I moved out my iMac/PureMusic/Emmlabs server to make room for another turntable. I've found that doing proper rips takes more care and feeding than I care for. The existing Hi-Rez library is to a very large extent a rehash of the existing SACD catalog. I'm still praying for more content.

JackD201

« Reply #135 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:30 am »

TONEPUB

« Reply #136 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:06 am »
I'd love to read that comparo Jeff, especially if the new Spectral 4000 can find it's way into the bunch as well.

I seem to be moving backwards technologically. I moved out my iMac/PureMusic/Emmlabs server to make room for another turntable. I've found that doing proper rips takes more care and feeding than I care for. The existing Hi-Rez library is to a very large extent a rehash of the existing SACD catalog. I'm still praying for more content.

I'd love to hear the Spectral myself, but they almost never send their gear out for review.  I think the only one I've seen in years was done by Robert Harley at TAS.  I'm with you, while I keep adding more CD's to the Sooloos, I'm listening to more vinyl than ever, and now with the addition of that new Vitus phono stage, I've been able to add more turntables myself!  It's crazy....

Audioexcels

« Reply #137 on: 26 Nov 2011, 10:59 pm »
Read the first posts and cannot stand when people compare digital to vinyl.  Unless one has never heard even a cheap, but excellent vinyl rig, it's comparing one speaker to another..."the Maggies sound like the Quads"...they don't sound a thing like each other, but they do both play music...

JackD201

« Reply #138 on: 27 Nov 2011, 01:06 am »
Read the first posts and cannot stand when people compare digital to vinyl.  Unless one has never heard even a cheap, but excellent vinyl rig, it's comparing one speaker to another..."the Maggies sound like the Quads"...they don't sound a thing like each other, but they do both play music...

I'm a vinyl addict. I've got 5 turntables (TW AC-3, Townshend Rock 7, Rega P5, a pair of SL-1210 M5Gs), 7 arms, 8 MC carts and 4 MM carts. Unfortunately not all of my favorite music comes in LP. Well, what's a guy to do? Forego  the 2 decades or so of music that's never seen a cutting lathe or get a player that gets as close as possible. I'll take the latter. To do this, comparisons are a necessary evil.

heilman

• Industry Participant
« Reply #139 on: 15 Sep 2012, 07:17 am »
Just came from a listening session at George Louis(Ultrabit Platinum Plus, X-Link,Blue and Red Damper Discs).
All I can say is Wow! Do your Vinyl Cartridge- Preamplifier-turntable combinations produce holographic sound? A demonstration disc from Von Schweikert Audio, treated with Ultrabit platinum Plus, using Red and Blue Damper Discs and played on an Adcom CD-575, does it in spades!
Check out "Keith Don't Go" by Nils Lofgren, "Misa Criolla" With Jose Carreras, "Semillia de Piedra" with Lila Downs"Swing Low" by the Fairfield Four, and "Live Rockin' Blues Concert" with Terry Evans.