Center for N2x's

Will2

Center for N2x's
« on: 5 Aug 2010, 12:06 am »
Hi,

I just built a pair of N2x's with a friend of mine (my first DIY attempt) and I'm thinking they will work out well as a L&R for his small TV room (he's using the TV's speakers now).  If we were to go for a center too, which kit would it be, or is another N2x the best answer?

Cheers
Will

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
Re: Center for N2x's
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2010, 12:47 am »
A 3rd N2X would be perfect, although you could use a sealed N3 if you really wanted something horizontally oriented that "looks like a center channel." 

Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 12:31 am by woofersus »

Will2

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2010, 12:54 am »
Thanks woofersus.  I think I'd be good with either orientation - which would produce better results?  I gather the N2x but would appreciate your view.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2010, 04:05 pm »
One could argue for the N3 center based on it's likely greater dynamics, sensitivity, and ability to play a little louder, but since your fronts are N2X's you probably wouldn't realize those benefits anyway, and you'll always get the most seamless soundstage with three identical speakers up front.  Also, while most people aren't able to put a vertically oriented speaker in the center channel position, doing so will give you the best horizontal off-axis response and the best imaging.

Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 12:31 am by woofersus »

timba-n-tango

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2011, 06:20 pm »
How about building the center as an N2X, but lyed out horizontally?  I would rotate the tweet in the cabinet, modifying the mount as need to maintain original T-M distances. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:05 pm »
How about building the center as an N2X, but lyed out horizontally?  I would rotate the tweet in the cabinet, modifying the mount as need to maintain original T-M distances.

Then you get an uneven left to right dispersion pattern. I'd keep it standing upright.

timba-n-tango

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2011, 03:11 pm »
Got it. I see that is the way Ascend sells their Sierra center. 

Now, if I built the N3 instead for the center, I haven't yet located the cab plans for sealed N3 - or is there a PE box the N3 could go in?  I also need to go look at the vertical off-axis numbers for the N3 as I have seen some rumblings about the MTM's on their side being not that great in some cases, although that appears to be how almost everyone else builds their centers.

Thanks much.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2011, 04:27 pm »
When you lay am MTM speaker on its side then you will get cancellation in the off axis response when you have created a long enough time delay between the woofers that they start cancelling each other out.

The further apart the woofers are the less off axis you need to be to start seeing a problem.

On the N3 and N3S models the woofers are mounted so close to the tweeter that they actually overlap. So the acoustic centers are closer together than most, and they don't start showing real drops in output until about 20 degrees off axis. This is usually further off axis than typical seating during movies. So with the N3S this is not much of a problem.

N3S plans are here: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/Neo3S.pdf

And I think there is a PE box that can be used with this one.

se-riously

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2011, 04:29 pm »
Now, if I built the N3 instead for the center, I haven't yet located the cab plans for sealed N3 - or is there a PE box the N3 could go in?

You could use a 0.75ft^3 PE box, but you have to use a closed cell foam or something else to get the volume correct.  You'd also have to modify the box by cutting out a section of the center brace to take care of an internal reflection and line with No Rez.

timba-n-tango

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2011, 06:15 pm »
Looking good.  Thanks Danny and se-riously.  That will be very helpful.  I am looking it over and getting ready to dive in.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2011, 10:02 pm »
And Timba, Welcome to AC.  :D

jparkhur

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2011, 07:32 pm »
Timba,  I pmed you and emailed you for your questions.

Jon P