6Moons Reviews Scott Nixon Tube DAC+/3XAC Power Supply

earlmarc

6Moons writes positive review for Scott Nixon's Tube DAC. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nixon/tubedac.html

earlmarc

« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2004, 10:44 pm »
I was a little dissapointed that 6moons did not compare this excellent DAC with the Bel Canto DAC-2 and the Birdland Audio Ag DAC. To say it bettered a Rotel budget CD player that is two years old was no surprise and then go on to say that the Tube DAC would have stiffer competition from the above mentioned DACs is a no brainer. Maybe 6moons didn't want to offend Bel Canto by saying a less expensive DAC is just as good. Remember 6moons awarded the DAC-2 the Blue Moons Award.

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2004, 12:14 am »
Remember 6moons awarded the DAC-2 the Blue Moons Award.

Well, some of us have done a head to head with the DAC-2, and you can go back and read about it here.  I listened to the DAC-2 again yesterday, and it is a good DAC.  The TubeDAC just outclasses the DAC-2.  DAC-2 would be a really good DAC if it didn't have that irritating high frequency "sizzle" up top that just does not really exist in real music at all.  

6Moons did mention the Audio Note DAC Zero in their review.

earlmarc

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2004, 12:49 am »
I have read the comparisons on this forum. And that is my point exactly! Most other digital reviews done by 6moon uses the Bel Canto DAC-2 as a reference for comparison. Yes they did mention the Audio Note DAC 1, but I can't ever remember them using that DAC or the Rotel RCD-971 as a reference for comparison. They chose to use the Rotel and a cheap DVD player as transport. They did not us inferior transports with the Bel Canto review or the Birdland. I don't mean to be over critical of 6moons, however, I don't feel that they gave the Tube DAC the same consideration they gave the other DACs. I'm not implying this was intentional, but I do feel it is unfair.

Hantra

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2004, 12:55 am »
Ahh. . I see your point.  

I guess the only thing I can say is that 6Moons has tons of different reviewers, and I guess they use whatever they have in their systems for comparisons.  Not sure.  Perhaps you can copy them on this thread, and ask?

B

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2004, 01:43 am »
Wow!  What a surprise.  I didn't even see this in the "upcoming reviews" area on 6Moons.  Other than the minor gripes already noted it sure is great to see Scott getting some real press!  6Moons is pretty much becoming the de facto place to go for reveiws on stuff that's not necessarily on the beaten path!

Lak

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2004, 06:42 pm »
Does anyone know how the Scott Nixon Tube Dac with the 3XAC power supply compares to the Dac that comes with the CEC 5100Z CDP (I have no idea what Dac comes in the CEC 5100Z CDP)
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!