California Audio Show by Dagogo.com!

modwright

California Audio Show by Dagogo.com!
« on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:47 pm »
I was proud and pleased to be a part of the first ever California Audio Show by Dagogo.com!

Constantine did a GREAT job, attendance was quite good and our room was full nearly the entire show!

We showed with Emerald Physics Speakers (Thanks to Michael Glicksman - Retailer for the CS2.3's).  We used a VPI TT with Wells Audio Phono and Well's Audio line conditioner.

We provided a KWA 150 and KWA 100 amp to allow for the requisite biamping of the CS2.3 speakers.  We also brought a very unique LS 36.5 'DM' with internal DAC, designed by the VERY talented Alex Dondysh.  The DAC is 24-bit, tubed (output stage WAS the preamp) and inputs were USB and SPDIF.  If anyone is interested, this prototype, which retails for $12000, is available for $8995.

Alex and I are working on some things and more will be seen at Rocky Mountain!  The new LS 100 preamp will be available with the new DAC built in.  This DAC was previously sold by Alex under his previous company 3 Dimension Audio.  The standalone DAC retailed for $6K and performed WAY beyond that price-point!  This product WILL NOT be available for production until at least Oct.

We are still very much prototyping our joint venture, but the results from the show were excellent.

Initial press coverage at Stereophile Blog:

http://blog.stereophile.com/cas2010/emerald_physics_and_modwright_define_high_value/

Another room of note for me, was the VERY high value Fritz Speakers - fritzspeakers.com.  I have no business interest in this product or company.  His products are sold factory direct and I heard a pair of $1750 monitors with a mixed assortment of electronics that REALLY took me by surrprise.  I hope to be able to provide our Electronics in Fritz's room at RMAF 2010.  I was TRULY impressed.

It was a pleasure to show with Jeff Wells, Michael Glicksman and Alex Dondysh. The show was truly enjoyable and I believe that it will be even bigger next year!

Dan W.
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 06:29 pm by modwright »

mca

Re: California Audio Show by Dagogo.com!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2010, 10:44 pm »
I believe you owned a pair of the CS2s, what do you think of the 2.3s?

I know Walter highly recommends your KWA100 to drive the top end  :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2010, 07:26 am »
I like the CS2's and feel that the CS2.3's offer even better looks and a higher level of performance!

Dan

happyrabbit

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2010, 03:49 pm »
3D Dac18 -> A Very Nice NOS DAC.  Too bad they closed shop before I could get one   :duh: I think the unit I was looking at  ~3K.  SS power supply, single ended,  different output stage.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2010, 06:53 am »
It is an exceptional DAC.  The DAC in the picture retailed for $6K when in production.  Alex and I are working to make this wonderful design available in conjunction with ModWright's electronics.

Is there a desire for a standalone DAC as well as a DAC built-into one of our preamps?

Sincerely,

Dan W.

AB

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2010, 03:36 pm »
I want to hear this dac at RMAF.

I have a big empty space in my 36.5+ so built in would work for me but I am sure there are folks who would prefer not to buy a new preamp to go with their new DAC.

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2010, 01:16 pm »
I will be evaluating this more fully now that I am back and considering how we will offer it.

It is a no-brainer for the 36.5 'DM' with external supply as there is plenty of room.  It would be a custom upgrade, but can certainly be done!

Also considering standalone DAC - NOT CHEAP - as well as offering it built into the KWA 100.

More to come!

Thanks,

Dan