Need help setting up computer audio!

Zerogravity

Need help setting up computer audio!
« on: 31 Jul 2010, 02:03 pm »
Hello: I am new to this and my knowledge is very limited. I was all set to get a pair of Danny's N3s for the family room where my equipment is. Marantz AVR, Pany blue Ray player, cable box and display. I have in wall speakers and they sound good for movies, but I wanted a little more performance for music and purchased a decent bookshelf. My wife did not want the speakers in the room anylonger. Despite much resistance, I gave in ( we know who wears the pants in my clan). I connected my bookshelf speakers and subwoofer to my computer using the mic outputs? I have 2 "T" amps that are in mono mode connected each speaker and of course my subwoofer is powered and is connected to the front mic out on my computer. The sound is O.K. But not like it was with my AVR since I had my speakers bi-amped with the B&G neo3 going to the "T"amp and the Marantz amp going to the Accuton 6.5 woofer.
  I have a Intergrated HD 7.1 soundcard on the computer, it is a Velocity Micro that runs very quiet. The connections on the computer are USB 2.0, FireWire and 1/8 mic. I do not see a digital coaxial. I had my eye on a Beresford DAC, but will do only 16bit via USB? Do I need a seperate sound card with coaxial connection? I know a DAC will convert digital back to analog, but it has me wondering if I am ouputting digital to begin with, the way I have my speakers set-up. Any ideas to what is best for my set-up ? I have read about internal sound cards such a M-Audio, E-MU 0404, ASUS Xonar essence? There so many different answers it very confusing. Thanks 

Zerogravity

Re: Need help setting up computer audio!
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2010, 07:26 pm »
I guess this isnt the best way for listening to audio? I just want to use the computer for Downloaded music, CDs and perhaps internet radio! I guess a soundcard with digital coaxial and a Beresford DAC would be a good starting point?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2010, 07:33 pm »
Zero- I have all my CD's imported into itunes and use .wav files over ethernet to a Logitech Squeezebox DUET, take the DUETS digital or analog outs to my tube DAC/Pre-amp and then onto my Virtue TWO.2 amp.-it sounds excellent. The latest version of the Squeezebox-The Touch is said to be even better...they are easy to setup and make life so much easier. You can access all your music on the PC or get internet radio etc....here is a link: (I'm not a Logitech salesguy)
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/5745

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2010, 07:56 pm »
It seems like the biggest issue with your setup is using the computer as a pre-amp..   That would probably be the first item you should resolve but you have several options:

1) USB DAC with pre-amp  - just like the dac you mentioned. there are hundreds of these to select from.
2) Use a sound card with optical/coax outputs - You still need the dac/pre-amp like you mentioned.
3) Get a dedicated media player like the SB/airport express - you still need the dac/pre-amp like you mentioned :) ..
4) Use the headphone output as a line-out - You would need just a pre-amp.  Depending on the sound-card this might be a reasonable option, but typically this is the least favorable.

They all have their pros and cons, and each will have limitations on how you can playback hi-rez files.    But first focus on getting a pre-amp, perhaps one like you mentioned with a built-in dac.

I think a solution like squeezebox and airport express/apple TV provide a lot of conveniences as you don't have to physically connect your computer to your stereo and you can use your computer to stream music to multiple stereos.  If you want to stream hi-rez then iTunes/Apple TV/Airport Express is out though.   

Good or bad, there are hundreds of options out there.

Zerogravity

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2010, 10:31 am »
Thanks and I apologize, as I seem to be wavering back and forth on different ideas and components, but after a bad argument from my wife and of course my 2 daughters that support her. Everything was relegated to my computer room!
   Since I am using my PC, I though I could get away from a server. My PC is extremely quiet, but your right. Burning all of my CDs using Flac and MediaMonkey should be much quieter, in place of using the computer player. My PCs in a cabinet, so you cant hear it at all! I am not sure where a pre amp comes in, since I am using 2 monoblocks for the speakers and a powered sub with GR-Research driver? I was also looking at the ASUS Essence card, which shouldn't introduce noise since it has a connection for independant power supply. I Looked at the USB, but the one in my range (Beresford) only does 16bit via USB? Thanks

Zerogravity

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2010, 12:29 pm »
I guess I'm not understanding the correct order, but wouldn't the power from my monoblock amps pass through the DAC? P.C. + amps + DAC into speakers? Or is it, P.C. + DAC + amp into speakers? I do have volume control on my amps and although it's not marked or numbered, I usualy turn each knob when I calibrate with the SPL meter using test tones. I know a lot of people cringe when using A PC as the source, but it is  all I need. It would also be great to have high resolution Internet radio streaming all their music in the highest order!

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2010, 03:25 pm »
The correct order would be PC -> DAC -> preamp -> amp -> speakers. This is the configuration I use in my office system, and it offers the best combination of flexibility and sound quality. It's awesome to have 700+ CDs at your fingertips at sound quality rivalling the best CD players.

Cornelis

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2010, 03:31 pm »
Pc - dac - preamp - amp.

If you have volume control on each amp ( assuming it's not level adjustment) then that is interesting but I personally would prefer a preamp still.   The Beresford dac also is a preamp but you are will need to email them and ask what the USB supports.   

Delta Wave

« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2010, 04:50 pm »
Zero- I have all my CD's imported into itunes and use .wav files over ethernet to a Logitech Squeezebox DUET, take the DUETS digital or analog outs to my tube DAC/Pre-amp and then onto my Virtue TWO.2 amp.-it sounds excellent. The latest version of the Squeezebox-The Touch is said to be even better...they are easy to setup and make life so much easier. You can access all your music on the PC or get internet radio etc....here is a link: (I'm not a Logitech salesguy)
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/5745

I have one too, I freaking LOVE that thing!!!! I have the same, all of my CDs in iTunes as .wav files but I have it (Squeezebox Duet) set up for my kitchen/living room system. I have my PC going directly to my main system through a Monarchy DIP 48/96 Upsampler to re-clock the signal. It sounds amazing.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2010, 04:55 pm »
Since I've been coming here, hearing about the Squeezebox and getting one as a result was the number ONE thing for me that really elevated my status as recliner pilot...from a rookie to a pro-I can chill with the best of them now!!!! :dance:

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2010, 09:03 pm »
A PC can be an exceptional front end.  I have 100% of my music collection in FLAC on my dedicated PC, a Bolder modded Squeezebox is my front end (source, preamp, DAC), and it directly feeds my amps.

Zerogravity

« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2010, 08:53 pm »
Wow, thanks! A lot of good tips out there. Steve from Empirical recommended I get a NOS DAC such as VLab and after break in mod it with some oils and platnium caps. According to him, it's comparable to very expensive DACs. Of course I'd love to get his PaceCar. A fellow member told me his Wadia i170 along with his pacecar compared to his cost no object system? I don't need anything close to that to be happy honestly. Even the way my components are connected without D/A, I noticed a big improvement when I downloaded the free HD Tracks songs and played them using MediaMonkey. I must say a great recording like Miles Davis, TuTu makes a huge difference, even using the same resolution! I wonder if a upsampling DAC would be better, since most material is in standard Redbook? I know the Cambridge DAC is certainly affordable! I do not need a server, Ill check into a HK stereo refurb for use as a preamp. I guess I had in my mind that the computer would feed digital into the DAC and back through the computer and my speakers as analog? Thanks

whanafi

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:38 pm »
I would avoid the Cambridge DACMagic.  I found it uncomfortable to listen to compared to a Squeezebox.  I have all the Squeezeboxes (Classic, Boom, Duet, Touch, Transporter) and with the Touch, you already have a magnificent DAC.  The Transporter is even better, and in a casual A/B listening test, easily holds its own against a Bryston BDA-1.

(all equipment personally owned, no commercial ties)

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:32 pm »
Even the way my components are connected without D/A, I noticed a big improvement when I downloaded the free HD Tracks songs and played them using MediaMonkey.

Without D/A? Impossible

Your audio files are digital, just like a CD is digital.
Your amps have analogue input.
No way to feed bits straight  into your amp, that won’t work.

If you select a song in a media players, what happens?
The PC reads the file, transforms it to a format the sound card understands (PCM).
The sound card translate this digital stream to analogue. This is done by a chipset called a DAC (Digital to Analogue Convertor)
It also has an amp to beef up the analogue output of the DAC.
The  analogue out can be connected to the speakers in the PC or the headphone out (not the mic, that’s input).

What is onboard audio? A sound card integrated on the motherboard.
What is a sound card? A separate card you plug into the PCI bus
What is a DAC (the box), that’s audiophile speak for a sound card in a separate box.

But they all do the same, translating a stream of bits into analoque.

Maybe my website is of use as it covers the basics of PC based audio: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/Connect/index_connect.htm

Zerogravity

« Reply #14 on: 7 Aug 2010, 04:08 am »
Sorry about that Vincent, what I meant to say is without the D/A from and external DAC or pre amp that I plan on getting, the Download from HD Tracks had a much better sound compared to the highly compressed MP3 downloads from limewire ( can I say that here). I did a file drag over to MediaMonkey and it showed the Bitrate at over a 1000! Yes it did have improved sound quality compared to what I was hearing before. The fact it was and excellent recording makes a difference as well, without any help. I am sure using a high resolution DAC along with a proper set-up makes it that much better. Thank you for the invite, I will check your site out, as anything related to computer audio will  certainly help!

Zerogravity

« Reply #15 on: 7 Aug 2010, 07:23 am »
Skunark that was a great point about the Beresford. After talking with Jeff from Beresford, he informed me that using USB and the onboard amp would be fine! The Beresford it is and I will be on my way to Discless euphoria! It has to better then what I am hearing now from my intergrated soundcard?

On a side note: I understand the Beresford isnt the worlds greatest DAC and for the money why should it, however I have been reading a lot about it and I dont recall a single negative review! I know opinions vary and a few prefer the sound of others in it's same class. I do like the idea that it's easy to change opamps as well as the DAC chips themselves if the need to upgrade should arise. I did consider the E-MU 0404, HRT, Vlab and ASUS Xonar Essence, however I like the upgrade features, the pre-amp capability and I also wanted to use it with my home system and CD player if I wanted to.