better than Sennheiser HD 800 for $700?

Russell Dawkins

better than Sennheiser HD 800 for $700?
« on: 30 Jul 2010, 03:55 am »
http://www.avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-5le-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-33

I already have enough good headphones like Etymotic ER4S, AKG K1000s, AKG K601s and more, but if I was looking to buy a pair of very good headphones now I'd be scrutinizing these, considering what is said in this review.
I do have reservations about the Senn HD650s, though.

(edited to correct price)
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2010, 06:53 am by Russell Dawkins »

Construct

Re: better thn Sennheiser HD 800 for $550?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2010, 03:58 am »
http://www.avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-5le-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-33

I have lots of good headphones, but if I didn't I'd be scrutinizing these.
Consider ultimate ears, and the denon AHD-7000's.  The senns have other reviews that indicate some trade off with the 680's.

manaox2

Re: better than Sennheiser HD 800 for $700?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2010, 06:01 pm »
I've heard the HE-5LE and HD800 (CanJam '10). I think the HD800 wins and I still like your current phones more myself. For $700, I'd be going for a Stax Lambda rig of some sort. As for Orthos, my favorite hands down is the Audeze LCD-2 which I would happily take over the HD800 from my small listening time in meet conditions.

saisunil

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2010, 06:35 pm »
Which one is better - only your ears can decide that ...
You are welcome to borrow my HE-5 (with wood) - LE is plastic  ;)

I have heard 800 during head-fi NY show -- I loved them - they are like AKG701 but better ...
Everyone who listened to HE-5 in my home said - they are amazing - never sell them.
I am certainly not selling them for LE ... I might sell them for JH16Pro customs with outboard crossover and amp JH3a - that would be a game changer for me  :drool:

They do require a lot of current - you can even hook them to speaker amp ... I am using their EF5 amp - with a good NOS Tele tube - sounds glorious ... but it doesn't mean I still don't hunt for other phones  :duh:

These are very well balanced phones ... and would consider them to be top shelf ... I personally prefer them over Stax top offering - but that is a personal taste thing ...

You are welcome to borrow mine ... and listen to them in your own rig ...

Highly recommended ....

Are they better then 800? I think they are richer sounding - if anything HE-5 will give a tough fight to 800, and perhaps beat them in a few areas ...

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:36 am »
Srajan has been doing a lot of headphone listening lately and here is his take:http://6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman/system.html

Angaria

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2010, 08:17 pm »
I'd put in a vote for the he5 - performance with ef5 cannot be touched for the price.  They do need to be eq'd around 7 and 10kHz imho, but everyone's ear canals are different. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2010, 07:39 am »
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. My bud, Drew of Moon-Audio carries it and will modify it for a balanced signal, so I'll plan on getting it from him. If you want to get the best out of your headphones, try balanced!

Anand.