USB to S/PDIF converter for BDA-1

larevoj

USB to S/PDIF converter for BDA-1
« on: 29 Jul 2010, 07:12 am »
Guys,

I have set-up my Bryston BP26, 4BSST2, BDA-1 with a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110 and my usual source is the Mac Mini playing AIFF files through VDH Optocoupler MkII Miniplug - Toslink into BDA-1.

Which USB to S/PDIF converter do you reckon best suits my system?  :dunno:

All ideas and suggestions are welcome!!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2010, 02:02 pm by larevoj »

BrysTony

Re: BDA-1: Halide Design The Bridge or Bel Canto USB Link 24/96
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2010, 12:31 pm »
I am using the Bel Canto Link for 24/96 files from a laptop (pc) to the BDA-1 using the Stereovox BNC cable from Bel Canto.  The cable was formerly supplied with the link but it now is a separate purchase.  I am quite happy with the sound from this setup and there were no install issues -- it is plug and play. 

Stereophile did a review of the Bel Canto link earlier this year. http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/bel_canto_usb_link_2496_usb-spdif_converter/ and they have also reviewed the Stello and Lindemann links http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/lindemann_amp_stello_usb-spdif_converters/ I am not familiar with the Halide Design Bridge.

Tony

vann81611

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2010, 01:15 pm »
I'm using an ART Legato to connect my custom mini-itx PC to a BDA-1 BNC input.  The Legato only does 16/44 but the sound is glorious.  Works with Windows native USB driver and comes with custom USB and SPDIF cables.  Using WIN 7, WASAPI, and JRiver 14.  This USB/SPDIF converter has also received good reviews on Computer Audiophile.  A great place to park if you have a large redbook CD collection until more HIRES becomes available.

analogresearch-technology.net

vann81611

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2010, 01:18 pm »
Forgot to mention is uses Gordon Rankin at Wavelength Audio's asynchronous USB code.

larevoj

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2010, 02:08 pm »
they have also reviewed the Stello and Lindemann links

I did a home demo with the Stello and was pretty impress with it  :) But I read somewhere in this forum and elsewhere that the best connection is with the BNC from the BDA-1 which is why I am not sure about it. There are only a few converters out there with BNC outputs I think...  :duh:

larevoj

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2010, 02:14 pm »
The Legato only does 16/44 but the sound is glorious.

The specs looks :drool: but it doesn't do high-res :( still I will like to give it a listen first. Still its a great feature if it is able play high-rez especially with more and more files available for downloads...

K Shep

Re: USB to S/PDIF converter for BDA-1
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2010, 03:38 pm »

Which USB to S/PDIF converter do you reckon best suits my system?  :dunno:

I am using a Transparent USB cable out of my Mac Mini straight in to my BDA-1 with wonderful results.  I performed extensive listening tests between my Ayre USB and Bryston BDA, again using the USB in and I prefer the Bryston.  YMMV

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2010, 10:45 pm »
I have no experience with this unit -  http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=28&lang=en

but they have been making it for a bit

larevoj

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:52 am »
I have no experience with this unit -  http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=28&lang=en

but they have been making it for a bit

This is an interesting package and it even includes a balance AES/EBU out!!  :o

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:21 am »
This is an interesting package and it even includes a balance AES/EBU out!!  :o

The Trends UD 10.1 is an entry level USB transport, you can do much better. I happened to start out with his transport with a Channel Island VDC-SB power supply and was happy with the sound quality. But it was blown away by my present Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock and using a Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply . This transport has bettered any USB DAC that I've it tried with it's low ground noise and wide airy sound stage. It's a whole lot more than the cheaply priced Trends but if you can afford a Bryston system, this might be what would complement it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

werd

« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2010, 03:43 pm »

The Trends UD 10.1 is an entry level USB transport, you can do much better. I happened to start out with his transport with a Channel Island VDC-SB power supply and was happy with the sound quality. But it was blown away by my present Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock and using a Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply . This transport has bettered any USB DAC that I've it tried with it's low ground noise and wide airy sound stage. It's a whole lot more than the cheaply priced Trends but if you can afford a Bryston system, this might be what would complement it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

I am seriously considering that offramp. But the BDA will take a 192k signal and it would be nice to have a converter that does that. The offramp is only 96k but thats about the only shortfall.

larevoj

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2010, 06:35 am »
But the BDA will take a 192k signal and it would be nice to have a converter that does that.
I think most Bryston fans are waiting for a reliable, perfect USB implementation, reasonably priced, and audiophile quality USB-S/PDIF converter! :lol:

larevoj

« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:05 pm »
Guys, we have light at the end of the tunnel!  :o

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/usb_spdif_converters.html

One possible option in this list is the Wavelength Wavelink (Asynchronous USB at 24/192) retailing at USD900.00 below:

The WaveLink has significantly better jitter capabilities than most transports. It also has rates available and shown with LED's for all the popular audio frequencies (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192KHz). The WaveLink is shipped with a BNC connector for the best response and is shipped with a suitable BNC-BNC SPDIF cable and with a mating BNC->RCA adapter if your dac requires this. A high grade USB 2.0 High Speed cable is also included with each WaveLink.

Berkeley is rumored to be releasing their own USB/AES converter and it maybe the one...or it may just be the BDP-1  8)

larevoj

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2010, 02:21 pm »
I have been listening to my music tracks (AIFF) through Mac Mini Optical out to my BDA-1/BP26/4BSST-2/Dynaudio Focus 110 for about 5 months...it is just too fatiguing to my ears. :roll: I had to turn down the volume to 8 'O'Clock or switch it to my regular CD player as my source.

I tried changing speaker/IC cables to improve the overall sound but nothing works. I am certain the source is the weakest link in my system. The BDP-1 would have been ideal and it match my entire system seamlessly but I just can't wait any longer.

The solution - Wavelength Wavelink
The verdict - simply fantastic! :thumb:

« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2010, 11:57 pm by larevoj »

kyrill

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2011, 06:18 pm »
ah You are happy with it, good decision
plz try it out with bnc attenuators, i perceived in AB testing the Wavelenght became much more "solid" darker as in organic as in less electronic

it depends on your dac how much attenuation you need.