drummermitchell

Re: Expensive power cables?
« Reply #161 on: 3 Feb 2020, 01:11 am »
and then.................the sounds of silence...........interesting

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #162 on: 3 Feb 2020, 03:15 am »
(This RANT is not about this particular thread, nor the folks who posted in it. THe RANT is about the topic of asking about wires IN GENERAL...)
 :popcorn:

Well, how MANY times does the same question have to be asked and answered?
Naturally I also have an opinion. But for the thousands of replies to hundreds of threads over the full time internet forums have existed...

Silence on the topic is way way more appealing.

If you do not know? so what. Either try one? or forget it.  :thumb:
No problem by me either way...
Just PLEASE stop whining about them. Thank you.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #163 on: 4 Feb 2020, 01:49 am »
I bought my first "expensive" power cable about 7 years ago. I bought it used for about $150. 
For whatever reason, the bass response became more tight and crisp.  At the time I had a 4BSST2 and Mini T speakers.  I even got my better half to do a blind A/B test - and she picked up on the new cable immediately.

So, for me, I've never looked back.  Upgraded all my power cables.  True believer.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #164 on: 4 Feb 2020, 06:15 pm »
I bought my first "expensive" power cable about 7 years ago. I bought it used for about $150. 
For whatever reason, the bass response became more tight and crisp.  At the time I had a 4BSST2 and Mini T speakers.  I even got my better half to do a blind A/B test - and she picked up on the new cable immediately.

So, for me, I've never looked back.  Upgraded all my power cables.  True believer.   Yes , I found this to be true as well regarding the tightness of bass notes...I have done all my units with  Nordost  Vishnus and also have no regrets.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #165 on: 4 Feb 2020, 06:59 pm »
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/109897/does-electricity-flow-on-the-surface-of-a-wire-or-in-the-interior

I learned a lot from websites like these, both for and against flat wire/round wire. It's not a unanimous understanding on electricity flow. The experts I have worked with explain how violent AC is and the dielectric is as important as any element.

My personal experience is that all round wire cables in a 3 wire twisted config sound essentially the same, i.e. - not noteworthy. I find that individually insulated wires within the strands to eliminate skin effect (jumping from strand to strand) are a major step up. The most profound changes for the better have come from solid ribbon cables. While not optimized for RLC, they seem to be the quietest and most natural sounding (coming out the speakers). That's why I use Verastarr and DCCA flat ribbon cables on all my power and am about to audition Verastarr for one set of IC's.

bacobits1

« Reply #166 on: 4 Feb 2020, 08:15 pm »
Mike Powell? Otta Atlanta?

twitch54

« Reply #167 on: 4 Feb 2020, 08:20 pm »
(This RANT is not about this particular thread, nor the folks who posted in it. THe RANT is about the topic of asking about wires IN GENERAL...)
 :popcorn:

Well, how MANY times does the same question have to be asked and answered?
Naturally I also have an opinion. But for the thousands of replies to hundreds of threads over the full time internet forums have existed...

Silence on the topic is way way more appealing.

If you do not know? so what. Either try one? or forget it.  :thumb:
No problem by me either way...
Just PLEASE stop whining about them. Thank you.

Elizabeth, I'm not so sure it's 'whining' , rather others giving their objection to pseudo science cable marketing. While I agree with you, 'to each his (or her) own' , some of the stuff put forth by the makers of such 'wire' is at a minimum, questionable.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2020, 10:19 pm by twitch54 »

mhconley

« Reply #168 on: 4 Feb 2020, 08:50 pm »
I first bought expensive power cables about 15 years ago when I dove headfirst into this hobby. I went with PS Audio Plus SC power cables and thought I "heard" a big improvement in my system. All the typical audiophile mumbo-jumbo came to mind: deeper blacks, bigger soundstage, warmer midrange, clearer highs and the all important PRAT. I swapped out all my stock power cables for PS Audio Plus SC power cables. And I was happy...

Then Pangea came out with their first AC-14 and AC-9 SE cables and I tried them. To great happiness I found zero difference in sound between running PS Audio Plus SC power cables and Pangea Audio SE cables so I replaced all the cables in my system again. I sold the PS Audio Cables on the used market. I was happy and had a few dollars in my pocket...

About 6 months ago I started reading about expectation bias, the importance of ABX testing and the properties of power cables. I decided to try Tripp Lite 14AWG power cables ($8.48 each in 6ft lengths) on my system and to great amazement found zero difference between them and the Pangea cables, or even a pair of $450 Furutech Absolute Power-15Plus cables I had. I replaced all the cables in my system for $50.88 and sold the Pangea and Furutech cables. Once again I am happy and now have even more money in my pocket...

Nice to see a manufacturer - James Tanner - step up and unequivocally state that as long as you have cables that meet the electrical requirements that is all you need.

IMMHO,
Martin

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #169 on: 4 Feb 2020, 11:37 pm »
As an ancient fud, who cut his teeth on Chester Dawes' two-volume set:  Direct Current and Alternating Current, I gotta' agree with James.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #170 on: 5 Feb 2020, 01:22 am »
Interconnects have a greater impact on SQ than power cabling, esp with Bryston gear.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #171 on: 5 Feb 2020, 03:57 am »
My first upgraded power cable was the original Shunyata Venom (the lavender cable). I bought it because I chafed the jacket on my stock B60 power cable, it it was discounted because it was being discontinued. I figured if there’s a difference, I’ll hear it; if not, not much lost and I need a new cable anyway. I definitely heard a difference. I didn’t like it at first. It sounded too relaxed to my ears. I lived with it for a while and the sound grew on me. Swapped over a stock cable from another component and realized it was a good change. It certainly didn’t transform my system nor did it do all the mumbo-jumbo.

The Shunyata’s Diamondback Platinum went on closeout. I figured I’d try it out. I liked that one even more. Everything just sounded better, but no one particular thing really jumped out at me. Stock cable still on the DAC, I put the Venom on that after I got used to the Diamondback. Further improvement.

Actually, I bought a 3rd power cable - an Audioquest lower end one for my Apple TV gen 1 I was using as a transport. The stock cable was like a shoelace. It was about $75 or so if memory serves me correctly. It improved the sound too, which baffled me because I was using optical out (the only digital output).

None of the cables transformed my system. I could’ve easily been happy with the stock cables. If I didn’t know my system well enough I probably wouldn’t have heard much difference. But owning the system for quite a while, small differences aren’t as subtle. They were all definitely worth the money, even if I paid full price.

Do I think very expensive power cables will make a bigger and better difference? Probably not. But I haven’t tried them to be certain. And I’m not going to. I’m perfectly happy with how everything sounds. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And if they do break, I’ll look into something I consider reasonably priced. Not sure exactly what reasonably priced is, but certainly no where near component upgrade price. Less than a day’s pay seems about right to me. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.