Another new member

BSTURGEON89

Another new member
« on: 27 Jul 2010, 07:36 pm »
Hi Guys,

How is everyone doing?

Obviously new to the site and am looking forward to see what else I can learn.

To start things off. I just acquired an older vmps sub Tall boy with the upgrade. I've done some searches but didn't find a thread that maybe had a diagram and more clearer instructions on how to wire this beast of a sub. I have a Velodyne SMS-1 unit that I will also be using.

Any advice or a point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Brock

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Another new member
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 07:51 pm »
Welcome aboard!

Most VMPS subs come without amps (Brian doesn't like the amps being shaken by direct contact with the sub), so wiring should be super simple.  Otherwise I'd try contacting VMPS (they have a circle here below).

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:06 pm »
Welcome to AC Brock!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2010, 03:00 am »
Hello Brock....

Welcome... :thumb:

Since your question concerns VMPS...
I'll switch this thread to that circle where you may get Big B., John, or the other VMPS owners to help with the answer. Good luck.... :thumb:

flintstone

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2010, 03:13 am »
The SMS-1 goes between the amp and the preamp..........the old tallboy is a passive sub (no amp). Welcome to VMPS subwoofers, I have 3 of them  :thumb:

Dave

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2010, 10:49 pm »
Hi Guys,

How is everyone doing?

Obviously new to the site and am looking forward to see what else I can learn.

To start things off. I just acquired an older vmps sub Tall boy with the upgrade. I've done some searches but didn't find a thread that maybe had a diagram and more clearer instructions on how to wire this beast of a sub. I have a Velodyne SMS-1 unit that I will also be using.

Any advice or a point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Brock

Hey Brock,

Good to have you with us.

Sounds like you are getting good advice.

You have one of the "sought after" Tall Boys LARGERS (I have one too)

As someone said earlier, the wiring from the driver to the binding posts should be pretty straightforwad.

You may have "dropped in" at an opportune time since we are kikking off the new OMG (TC SOUNDS) woofers in the VMPS subs.

This would likely mean a lot of the crowd will be upgrading their OLD drivers with new OMG gear.

Depending on what shape your woofs are in, I bet the replaced LARGER drivers might be on the market for a reasonable price.  And they all drop and screw right in.

You might need to upgrade the PR in the process and I can let you know the price depending on which woofs you will be using.

What amp are you going to be pushing your LARGER with?

Let us know if that answered your questions.

BSTURGEON89

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2010, 05:50 am »
Thanks for all the advice. I believe I have everything working right. Going to give it a work out tomorrow.

The upgrade on the subs. Is it the OMG subs I would get or is it the OLD one that they replaced.

Right now I have two amps I'm going to give a try and see which one I like better. Right now I have a Carver M500t hooked up. After awhile I will hook up a Carver M4.0t and see how that sounds and then go from there.

I just got done last week with the remodel of my HT/music room. I will try and post some pics when I get a chance.

Brock

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2010, 07:27 am »
Well since you have two well qualified amps you might as well have two subs and why not OMG? :wink:

BSTURGEON89

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2010, 04:44 am »
Oh I'm looking forward it!! I think I will go with 3 subs in the setup. 2 upfront and one behind the listening position. That should make for a fun room.  :D