Olive garden: The Denny's of Italian food.

Construct

Olive garden: The Denny's of Italian food.
« on: 27 Jul 2010, 05:31 am »
Ok, there I was.  Just wandered out of th imax and I decided to try Olive garden.  It's been forever so I didn't really pay attention.  "Mango chicken"  ok fine...with some angel hair pasta.  $12.99.

What I get is:
1) Pasta e fagioli soup that was obviously from a frozen bag/mix
2) Teensy (thin and dry) cutlets of chicken, not much bigger than medallions
3)  A DAB... maybe two tablespoons full of angel hair pasta.  :evil:

The experience was very poor to say the least.  Your average frozen dinner is better.  The moral is "Go Italian or go home."  Steer clear of these crappy chain restaurants that dumb down and ruin cuisine and fine a mom and pop Italian "cucina" instead.   You'll pay the same, and get scratch-made food.  I kid you not that Chili's/Ruby Tuesdays/TGI Fridays are "Spagos"  by compare.
Olive garden to Italian food is what Denny's is to fine cuisine.  "Sugar or grease sir?" 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Olive garden: The Denny's of Italian food.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 05:46 am »
They do have some tasty looking commercials....  :thankyou:

Here's a MAD TV take off....   :rotflmao:

Construct

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2010, 06:00 am »
They do have some tasty looking commercials....  :thankyou:

Here's a MAD TV take off....   :rotflmao:
Hot dog rustica!!!!  :lol:
1. The parody is almost rendered moot by the parody of cuisine which is the restaurant itself.

2. I don't think I have ever seen an Italian dine at Olive Garden...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2010, 06:08 am »
Since we are "world wide"....there may be some folks that don't know.....Olive Garden...

srb

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2010, 06:49 am »
As far as Italian chains go, Romano's Macaroni Grill, with 222 U.S. and international locations, serves much better food than the Olive Garden.

While it may not compare to the better local Italian restaurants, they do use mostly fresh ingredients, make most of their own pasta and bake bread on the premises.

http://www.romanos.com/Home/Home.aspx

Steve

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:05 am »
It's one of those places you leave with a full belly and full of regret.

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:06 am »
I'm sorry, but I like Denny's... 8)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:12 am »
I haven't eaten at the OG in years.  There was a time when it was good, maybe not memorable, but good in the sense that it wasn't bad...  Back then they almost always had line ups and long delays at in one location in the south part of Edmonton.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:21 pm »
As far as Italian chains go, Romano's Macaroni Grill, with 222 U.S. and international locations, serves much better food than the Olive Garden.

While it may not compare to the better local Italian restaurants, they do use mostly fresh ingredients, make most of their own pasta and bake bread on the premises.

Steve

Macaroni Grill - good!   :thumb:

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:24 pm »
It has been a long time since we ate at an OG. One reason: The closest one is 45 minuets away. Their lasagna used to be one of my favorite dishes. Then the portions got smaller & smaller & smaller.  :( 

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:27 pm »
Hot dog rustica!!!!  :lol:
1. The parody is almost rendered moot by the parody of cuisine which is the restaurant itself.

2. I don't think I have ever seen an Italian dine at Olive Garden...

My dad, whose mother moved here from Italy and was born from Italian parents, loves -- and I mean LOVES -- Olive Garden.  My grandmother grew her own vegetables and made her own pasta, yet my dad loves OG.  I, on the other hand, can't stand OG. 

BobRex

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:36 pm »
The last time I was in OG (and this was many, many years ago) I was seated such that I could see into the kitchen.  When I looked in, I saw pictures of each dish on the wall.  Now, I realize this was probably for plating, but if you can't serve lasagna without looking at a picture, you have serious problems!

It reminded me of the typical Chinese take out place that has the food pictures across the wall. 

BobM

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:45 pm »
Living on Long Island and working in NYC, with the diverse choices in all types of ethnic foods, makes Olive Garden a moot point. There are a plethora of good and great Italian places to choose from in my neighborhood. Olive Garden rarely comes into the equation, unless the kids are asking for it, and that hasn't happened in a few years now. They know better now that they are older.

Enjoy,
Bob

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2010, 01:00 pm »
Stop insulting Denny's.   :nono:

Chain restaurants can vary by the manager, but OG are almost universally horrible.  The help is typically high school and college kids that display zero professionalism.  I’ve sat near the kitchen door and heard all kinds of goofing off and dishes crashing on the floor.  I recall stopping in for cannoli and coffee years ago.  After a long while they brought out one that was only half filled, stated that “the machine broke” and then had the gall to charge full price for it.

Yes as much as possible the food is pre-made up at a commissary and most cooking is done in microwave ovens.  And some of them have a pasta machine out front with an ungloved kid foundling the pasta (like they’re Italian) without a sink in sight to wash hands.  The best thing to order, if you have to go there, is the bread, soup, and salad deal.

sts9fan

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2010, 01:03 pm »
I will choose OG over Red Lobster 10 out of 10 times....

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2010, 01:13 pm »
I will choose OG over Red Lobster 10 out of 10 times....

What an endorsement! 

I avoid both at all costs.  I would gladly eat at a fast food place before eating at OG, Red Lobster, etc...

As for Denny's...they still make great breakfasts and I have no problems eating there.

George

craig223

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2010, 02:35 pm »
Olive Garden and Red Lobster are both part of Darden Restaurants.  They claim to be the world's largest full service restaurant company.  They also are Longhorn Steak and several other chains.  Bigger is not always better in the restaurant business.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2010, 02:46 pm »

Steve

Agreed Steve - wholeheartedly.

Their eggplant is too die for...and their red sauce a bit spicier than I typically like, but it's good in an absolute sense.

Buca di Beppo, with groups as it's family style Italian and huge portions, is reliably decent, too I've found.

Olive Garden really has been putrid tasting the couple times I've been there.  I'm not piling on - it really was a poor experience.

John

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2010, 03:30 pm »
My favorite thing on the menu at Olive Garden is Tiramisu!  But sometimes they serve it frozen, so order it at the beginning of the meal to let it thaw out.  :rotflmao:

Construct

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2010, 03:31 pm »
What an endorsement! 

I avoid both at all costs.  I would gladly eat at a fast food place before eating at OG, Red Lobster, etc...

As for Denny's...they still make great breakfasts and I have no problems eating there.

George
No self-respecting New Englander would eat at Red Lobster.  Denny's is defensible for the breakfast slams, moons over my hammy and whatnot.  You get a lot of food, unlike OG.
But Red lobster?  feh.  I used to go to a mom & pop place in Gloucester and I got a whole lobster, fries and a drink for 1/2 of Red lobsters beat-up chicken tail.  I also like dining in the rough, Brown's in Seabrook and similar.  Even Little Jacks in seabrook you could get a big broiled combo platter for less.  The only reason some people go...is because of the kid(s).  I have to imagine that this has to be like mcdonalds to Italians raised on real food.  I never go to mcdonalds as Carls jr is 10x better, as is red robin.