My New DAC-60

praedet

My New DAC-60
« on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:10 pm »
Well, I was the lucky winner of the last DAC-60 Danny had :D

So, I have already changed out the ouput caps.  My next mod is to change out the RCA coax for a BNC for true 75-ohm capability.  Did any of you guys do this ever?  I am looking at using one of the following chassis BNC connectors
1. Recessed BNC
2. Non-recessed BNC
And then hooking it up inside using this cable.

Thoughts?  Comments?

Other easy mods I should tackle?

praedet

Re: My New DAC-60
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:23 pm »
bump...

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:39 pm »
When we did the extensive mods to these things, we used all Vampire CCC RCA ends for everything and wired it with the Vampire CCC wire.

We used Sonicaps in the output and by-passed them with Sonicap Platinum's.

Changing the tubes was a big deal too. There are a lot of options there.

TomW16

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:05 pm »
Congratulations praedet.  I have used the DAC-60 for the last couple of years and really like it.  I keep reading about the new DACs but I am not at all dissatisfied with the sound that I am getting out of the DAC-60.

Have fun!

Tom

praedet

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:12 pm »
When we did the extensive mods to these things, we used all Vampire CCC RCA ends for everything and wired it with the Vampire CCC wire.

We used Sonicaps in the output and by-passed them with Sonicap Platinum's.

Changing the tubes was a big deal too. There are a lot of options there.
Thanks for the comments Danny!

So on the subject of switching out the internal wiring, did you switch out only the signal carrying wires, or the power supply wires to?  Any gauge recommendations?  Would silver in either cotton or teflon be a good upgrade?  I had been looking at changing out the RCAs on it during the rest of the mods.
Congratulations praedet.  I have used the DAC-60 for the last couple of years and really like it.  I keep reading about the new DACs but I am not at all dissatisfied with the sound that I am getting out of the DAC-60.

Have fun!

Tom
Tom,
Thanks, it sounds quite good now with VERY little time on the new caps, so I can't even imagine what it will sound like in a few weeks ;)

Ted

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:38 pm »
Well, I was the lucky winner of the last DAC-60 Danny had :D

So, I have already changed out the ouput caps.  My next mod is to change out the RCA coax for a BNC for true 75-ohm capability.  Did any of you guys do this ever?  I am looking at using one of the following chassis BNC connectors
1. Recessed BNC
2. Non-recessed BNC
And then hooking it up inside using this cable.

Thoughts?  Comments?

Other easy mods I should tackle?

In theory, true 75 Ohm BNC *should* be better than RCA; however, how the thing will sound depends on so many things, including your digital cable's own impedance, circuit board/transmission line characteristics, and the quality of actual connectors. 

I once modded my DAC with a nice 75-Ohm BNC jack, but I also had RCA so I could compare.  I actually preferred the RCA input ! :scratch:  So I wouldn't spend too much effort into the BNC thing until you're done with more important mods. 

BTW, that coax cable you link is way too large AWG and large for internal use, period.  Most would use a good mini-coax cable internally..

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:45 pm »
That Vampire Wire CCC wire that we were using was 18 gauge and it was jut from the board to the RCA's. We didn't mess with the transformer wire.