Do you have a tweeter on your forehead?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Do you have a tweeter on your forehead?
« on: 26 Jul 2010, 10:38 am »
And a midrange in your chest?  If not, why the hell do we build speakers the way we do?  It would seem that single drivers speakers are the answer!  Except that they seriously suck (in my experience).

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Do you have a tweeter on your forehead?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2010, 12:33 pm »
I have neglected to pursue the single driver model but I have always felt that until, and unless, physics decides to finally loosen up and compromise a bit that the model is too limited. However, much can be accomplished with a wide range driver. I use a 2 way system that crosses at 300 Hz. Being as I'm a geezer, I don't even think about anything over 12 Khz. That means, given my restricted bandwidth requirements, that I have nearly full range performance from a point source. As we all know, lower frequencies with longer wavelengths are less precisely located and can be crossed more easily as long as phase is managed and listener is far enough back for the drivers to blend their wavefronts.

That seems like the answer for now until my hearing becomes restricted enough for a single driver to cover my entire hearing range. I hope that development is far off in the future.

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2010, 12:45 pm »
It’s all about what you are willing to compromise.  Widebanders do some things super and other things not so super.  If you are convinced you are super man and need 25 kHz extension then look elsewhere.  Also the use of a good sub makes them all the better.  There are some seriously awesome DIY designs out there right now, especially if you like acoustic or small chamber stuff.   

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2010, 02:25 pm »
I have Magneplanars with 5' high woofers and tweeters, so nothing points at my forehead alone.  I think the radiation pattern is part of the magic so your post is well receiver in this quarter.  My HT main speakers, PSB Alpha T's, have a D’Appolito array so they don't have your "tweeter on your forehead" either.  There are several options besides the standard vertical array if you have a problem with it, but properly integrated (e.g. sloped baffle, waveguide tweeter, etc.) a vertical array can act like a point source across a broad range of frequencies, although definitely not perfectly at all frequencies.   

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2010, 02:57 pm »
And a midrange in your chest?  If not, why the hell do we build speakers the way we do?  It would seem that single drivers speakers are the answer!  Except that they seriously suck (in my experience).

Ha....yeah, I have listened to single drivers and get their allure.

But, for me, the top end is where the excitement of the performance lies...so try as I have on a couple occasions, I found too much wanting/lacking with single driver performance.

Of course, as the years roll by and hearing prowess declines....that might change.  Hope not, but it certainly may.

John
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 04:15 pm by TheChairGuy »

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2010, 03:05 pm »
I think a couple of the manufactures have come close to ideal. The TAD 1 co-axial, and Cabasse orb are two that come to mind.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2010, 04:14 pm »
I may have to zip on the flame suit here, but I think that some of the allure for me for wide range driver + subs is that I really like what I do hear, vs the pursuit of hearing all that I can.

I do still own other systems with multi-way speakers, and will continue to do so, but I really like what I get with my DIY speakers. 

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2010, 04:29 pm »
I use a 2 way system that crosses at 300 Hz.

I use the same setup with a 4.5'' Hemp Acoustic FR4.5C with a crossover point of 350Hz to a 12'' Fostex FW350 and it is very satisfying in a small room. Firstly, you avoid the crossover point of a conventional 2 way in the critical midrange territory and you get to boost the lower midrange region that a 4.5'' cant do very well. (350-500Hz)

Steve

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2010, 04:49 pm »
Ha....yeah, I have listened to single drivers and get their allure.

But, for me, the top end is where the excitement of the performance lies...so try as I have on a couple occasions, I found too much wanting/lacking with single driver performance.

Of course, as the years roll by and hearing prowess declines....that might change.  Hope not, but it certainly may.

John

Don't age quickly John.  :eyebrows:

I agree highs are also very very important to me. In fact more and more are concluding above 20khz is important as the ear can detect down to 5us, even 2us. It has to do with the total rise time of the system; a Japanese study measured both PET and EEG auditory brain response above 20khz (to 50khz) played along with Redbook material (Hospital setting); and I see in Stereophile magazine that the AES believes 24/96 should be the standard.

August 2010, page 3:

"The Audio Engineering Society agrees, and recommends 24/96 as the standard for digital master recordings."

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 08:25 pm by Steve »

Construct

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2010, 05:12 pm »
Reythm, Cain & Cain, SAP, Lowther... none are my cup of tea.  I don't like the rolled off (lack of)  highs.  Fidelity for me includes 20hz-20khz-at least.  I also completely reject all of the anti-crossover rhetoric (or other arguments for this type of speaker.) Pretty much all of the best sounding, show-winning speakers that are also measure the most accurate are multi-way designs with crossovers. 

srb

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2010, 05:32 pm »
My only experience with a full range speaker was the CSS FR125 4-1/2".  They were a professionally built (not DIY) pair.  They just had a muffled sound like a blanket had been tossed over the speaker.  Many here on AC have said that they love that speaker, but I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it for lack of high end frequency response (even though on paper they extend out to 20KHz), regardless how good the midrange was.

I have a center channel speaker that has a pair of the CSS WR125 that I like, but they are crossed over to an Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeter!

Steve

mca

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2010, 05:40 pm »
I have a center channel speaker that has a pair of the CSS WR125 that I like, but they are crossed over to an Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeter!

Steve

I have been looking for a center channel of this nature. Can you tell me what brand it is or was it a diy?

Thanks,

Mike

Quiet Earth

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2010, 05:47 pm »
I have a tweeter on my forehead, but no midrange on my chest........

I like the old school, two way box speaker. It sounds more coherent and complete than any of the single driver or panel speakers that I've owned.

Construct

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2010, 05:49 pm »
I have a tweeter on my forehead, but no midrange on my chest........

I like the old school, two way box speaker. It sounds more coherent and complete than any of the single driver or panel speakers that I've owned.
I used atc scm-12's for the longest time, a fraction of the cost of cain and cain, and yet sounded 10 times as accurate.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2010, 06:12 pm »
I have been looking for a center channel of this nature. Can you tell me what brand it is or was it a diy?

Mike,

It is a RAW Acoustics HT2C, but unfortunately they have closed their doors.

RAW Acoustics HT2C

Interestingly, there is a "monster" version (RAW Acoustics Omega Lambda) on Audiogon, that uses 8 X CSS WR125ST and 1 Aurum Cantus G3 ribbon.  It is 46"W X 7"H X 12-3/8"D.

RAW Acoustics Omega Lambda

Steve

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:06 pm »
Not exactly sure of the point of this thread, but...

I enjoy the Fostex FE168's in BIBs. Nowhere near the ultimate in accuracy, that's true, but they're fun for what they are. I'm amazed at what they can do with 8 watts and a 6.5" driver.

Construct

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:17 pm »
Tyson went on a bender and had lots of scotch last night.  He went on a posting spree of random libation-fueled brain droppings. Everything from the silly, to the declarative statements.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:40 pm »

I think it's that most two or three-way speakers have physically separated tweeters and midrange drivers that are not in direct line with your ears.

The OP doesn't like the sound of full range drivers ("they suck"), so it would seem the only option for him would be a 2-way coaxial driver.

In reality, unless you're listening very near-field, the driver spacing is not really a problem, and besides, all of the speakers I've owned have had a much closer tweeter-midrange spacing than "forehead to chest".

Steve

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:43 pm »
Construct has it right (as usual).  Now, 'scuse me, gotta go take some aspirin.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jul 2010, 11:50 pm »
Tyson went on a bender and had lots of scotch last night.  He went on a posting spree of random libation-fueled brain droppings. Everything from the silly, to the declarative statements.

Ah, well, that I understand :P

Islay, Highland or Speyside? ;) I've got a bottle of Ardberg here that I don't think is going to last the weekend...