Songbirds with Virtue Sensation M901...

PSB Guy

Songbirds with Virtue Sensation M901...
« on: 25 Jul 2010, 06:34 pm »
Has anyone tried this combination? I have the M901 paired with the JT Dynamic Power 30v/300w linear power supply in a small living room (10' by 19', including front foyer). I rarely have the volume past 12 0'clock with my present speakers and sub. Would the Songbirds suffice, or would you go with Song Towers?

jsalk

Re: Songbirds with Virtue Sensation M901...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2010, 09:43 pm »
PSB Guy -

The M901 is rated at 87 watts into 4 ohms.  The SongBird is an 8 ohm speaker.  So it will draw less power - perhaps half as much.  If you were using a 43 watt tube amp, I would say that is plenty of power.  But this amp is not tube-based and it seems to me that this combination might be cutting it too close.  The SongBird's are about 84db sensitive and I would opt for more power than that.  You may be able to get away with it, but the SongBird's play quite deep for a single 5" driver and that takes power.  I'm just not sure it would be a good combination.

The SongTower's, on the other hand, are 88db sensitive and a 4 ohm design.  They would likely work quite well with that amp.

If it were me, I would opt for SongTowers to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

PSB Guy

Re: Songbirds with Virtue Sensation M901...
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2010, 12:32 am »
Thanks for the info. I must have missed the sensitivity of the SongBirds when I was looking them up. My bad. I see a pair of SongTowers in my future...

- Cornelis