Braced the cabinets

warnerwh

Braced the cabinets
« Reply #60 on: 26 Feb 2005, 09:46 pm »
Marbles: Those are good places to start.  Maybe a couple of side braces where you just take some 1"x2" oak and glue it to the side panels in a few strategic places.  Length doesn't need to run from one corner to another.  Before you do anything though I'd contact Brian as the window braces are a superior design but much more difficult for a diyer to do.  I know the braces are coming in the new models and you may be able to get some of those although you'd have to cut them especially if they're cut to fit in a groove in the cabinet walls.  The reason I recommend this is because if you put in the window braces after putting in the side braces that are glued to the walls will let you lay the window brace on top of the side braces if you do it right.  Did that make sense?

Marbles

Braced the cabinets
« Reply #61 on: 27 Feb 2005, 08:07 pm »
Braced the cabinets this AM with 1" oak dowel.

I put them at the top, just beneath the woofer going from side to side, and one from the midrange enclosure to the back.

At the bottom of the cabinet, I just put one from side to side just above the woofer.  I did not run one front to back as the XO is there.

What I'm hearing is the musical presentation is cleaned up, for all requencies.

The benifit, other than a cleaner presentation, is better imaging.

Highly recomended tweak.

warnerwh

Braced the cabinets
« Reply #62 on: 27 Feb 2005, 09:37 pm »
Glad you were able to get that done.  You're description of the improvements is spot on. Must have something to do with the drivers having to fight the cabinet resonances.  Very worthwhile tweak.

John Casler

Braced the cabinets
« Reply #63 on: 27 Feb 2005, 10:04 pm »
Hi Guys,

I just got off the phone from Big B, and thought I might share a few ideas.

I am a strong beleiver in reducing cabinet resonances.  In fact, I would suggest that many of you would be amazed at the amount of "cabinet talk" you have coming out of most brands of speakers.

Now internal bracing while good, is "NOT" as good as external bracing done well.

How do you "externally brace"?  and Why do you externally brace?

Well that was part of my conversation with B.  

I was plying him with the idea, that we could build all VMPS speakers in black and then apply the specific color finish in side panels?

Made sence to me, but would be a big transition.

But it also offered an additional benefit.  Increased rigidity and a more inert cabinet.

Since the most resonant portion of the cabinet is the center of the side walls, "THAT" is the area of prime concern.  This addresses that exact area.

Now simply running a dowel from one sidewall to the other will help, but not as much as external.  Window bracing will also.  Additionally adding things to the inside of cabinets "reduces" internal volume and of course can ultimatly affect the sound.

My idea was to "screw and glue" side panels on to the sides to effectively make the whole side of the speaker substantially more rigid and inert.

Since many are DIY's, adding some really neat and stylish Piano Black or matching finish panels would not only make the speaker (pre MLS RM40)look quite distinguished, (with a little artistic license) but would probably be better than internal bracing overall.

To give you an idea of how it would look, I found some Polks with side panels.  

I would probably suggest maybe a slanted top to make it look a bit better, but for anyone interested, it is a cool DIY option.

In any event, just a suggestion for the DIY's in the group, who have the older style cabinets and might enjoy a project that could make their speaker ultimalty sound better, as well as look very nice, as well as have an "option" to bracing on the inside.

Marbles

Braced the cabinets
« Reply #64 on: 27 Feb 2005, 10:49 pm »
Let us know how it works out...

John Casler

Braced the cabinets
« Reply #65 on: 27 Feb 2005, 11:00 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Let us know how it works out...

Oooops :oops:

I didn't mean to imply that we were doing it.  I was offering the idea as an option for DIY's who might want to try it as an alternative.

And the Polk pic is just an example (visual), but I would run the panel either full length , or have a stylish "rake" (angle) to it at the very top.

warnerwh

Braced the cabinets
« Reply #66 on: 27 Feb 2005, 11:44 pm »
Personally I wouldn't want to ruin the value of my speakers by adding something to the outside of the cabinet.  The idea does have merit but would also cost alot more to do right.  Also a little bit of bracing will not adversely affect the internal cabinet volume.  There is typically some wiggle room.  The net effect of what Marbles and others have done, including myself, has improved the overall sound of the speakers, no ifs ands or butts, unless they're nice ones:)