Tube burn-in?

ebag4

Tube burn-in?
« on: 23 Jul 2010, 08:50 pm »
Guys,
I recieved an Amperex JAN 7308 White Label 1966 version this week for my Dodd Buffer.  It sounded good the first two days but today it is sounding a bit edgy on some material, something I didn't hear the first two days. So tell me, in your various experiences do NOS tubes burn in?

Thanks,
Ed

Pez

Re: Tube burn-in?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:13 pm »
That is very par for the course on a NOS tube. I would give it a week at least before it starts to sound acceptable. I have had NOS tubes sound god awful for the better part of 2 weeks before they sounded good. Just stick with it, signal tubes tend to take less time than power tubes so you may be in luck in a few days.

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:15 pm »
That is very par for the course on a NOS tube. I would give it a week at least before it starts to sound acceptable. I have had NOS tubes sound god awful for the better part of 2 weeks before they sounded good. Just stick with it, signal tubes tend to take less time than power tubes so you may be in luck in a few days.
Thanks Pez, I thought that was probably the case but I wanted to get some feedback from ou guys who are more familiar with NOS tubes.

Best,
Ed

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:28 pm »
According the good book: ''Getting The Most of Vacuum Tubes'' tubes unused for long time need burn-in, maybe to clean some gas, and if the tube stay unused for much time again it will need a new burn-in.
Hope this help.

decal

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:31 pm »
Give it a few days and it should smooth out.If it doesn't,you may have a defective tube or maybe it isn't really "new".I've had NOS tubes(at least that's what the seller called them) that never  came around,it happens sometimes with old stuff(new stuff too as a matter of fact).Good luck.

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:36 pm »
Thanks guys.  I only have about 20hrs on it so far, I'll give it some additional time and see what happens.

Best,
Ed

silver_strings

pink noise
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:57 pm »
Use pink noise to burn them in  for ~30 minutes, that should get you over most of the burn-in they need