A call to my customers in the SF Bay area.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: A call to my customers in the SF Bay area.
« Reply #180 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:12 pm »
Danny

Was that sharp edge acting like a diffraction?

Danny Richie

« Reply #181 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:16 pm »
That's amazing!

Nay, this is amazing:

This is the measured response and a csd of one of the N1X speakers that you have for audition right now.  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #182 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:20 pm »
Danny

Was that sharp edge acting like a diffraction?

Yep, it is a diffraction deal. You can also tell that when the stored energy seen in the CSD moves around in frequency a little or drops out then come right back.

But what do I know? Some claim that you can't tell anything from a CSD. You can see it all in the impulse response and frequency response right.  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #183 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:20 pm »

Track 4 (I don't know what the song is) from the NY Audio Rave CD (famous CD) is a make or break track for most speakers. It has a bass heavy section that can destroy a lot of speakers and this was on of them. The coloration masked everything. I also noticed that the drums that usually move across the top of my room going from one upper corner of the room to the other upper corner of the room were not doing so. Drums were now at speaker level and stayed within the two speakers. Also, complex stuff ran together.

Danny, that track wouldn't happen to be "Bozzio, Levin, Stevens - Duende", a spanish flamingo tune with awesome drum display?

Cheers,
Robin

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #184 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:20 pm »
I know that...I've got two more people coming this week to hear them.  They're really are amazing.

I was speaking of the change in response that you did by just knocking the edge off.  That's scary!  Especially in the world of manufacturing where it a simple tool change on the line and 10 seconds. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #185 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:23 pm »
I know that...I've got two more people coming this week to hear them.  They're really are amazing.

I was speaking of the change in response that you did by just knocking the edge off.  That's scary!  Especially in the world of manufacturing where it a simple tool change on the line and 10 seconds.

You'd be surprised how many speakers out there are riddled with stupid little problems just like that.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #186 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:24 pm »
You'd be surprised how many speakers out there are riddled with stupid little problems just like that.

Should there always be a chamfer on driver holes?

Danny Richie

« Reply #187 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:26 pm »
Danny, that track wouldn't happen to be "Bozzio, Levin, Stevens - Duende", a spanish flamingo tune with awesome drum display?

Cheers,
Robin

Yep, that's it!

lowtech

« Reply #188 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:28 pm »
Nay, this is amazing

Where are the vertical & horizontal measurements for this "amazing" speaker?  You showed the off-axis measurements for the Behringer's (which looked really good, btw).  For completeness, you should show the same for your speaker... no?

Danny Richie

« Reply #189 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:33 pm »
Should there always be a chamfer on driver holes?

Only if they are playing into that range. For subs or low frequency drivers in a three way design it is not necessary.

I have another good example some where I will dig up. Give me a few...

Danny Richie

« Reply #190 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:35 pm »
This one got the inside edge milled out of it and more dampening was added. It is now a production speaker for another company.

Danny Richie

« Reply #191 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:37 pm »
Where are the vertical & horizontal measurements for this "amazing" speaker?  You showed the off-axis measurements for the Behringer's (which looked really good, btw).  For completeness, you should show the same for your speaker... no?

The discussion was about CSD's.

Give me a minute though and I'll post them.

Danny Richie

« Reply #192 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:42 pm »

Okay,

Vertical off axis:

And horizontal off axis:

These were taken in exactly the same manor as the ones that I just posted for the Behringer.

And I only posted those measurements for the N1X because jtwrace has that pair right now. It is the pair that is on the demo tour.

lowtech

« Reply #193 on: 31 Jul 2010, 08:49 pm »
These were taken in exactly the same manor as the ones that I just posted for the Behringer.

And I only posted those measurements for the N1X because jtwrace has that pair right now. It is the pair that is on the demo tour.

Well, the vertical measurements of your N1X is rather remarkable, consdering it neither is a concentric design nor uses a waveguide (the neo3 faceplate doesn't qualify).  If I didn't know better, I'd claim BS on these measurements.

johnzm

« Reply #194 on: 31 Jul 2010, 09:03 pm »
Danny,

Thanks for all the #'s you are always here for us, the lowly DIY'er ;)

i had a simple question,

will the cabinet mods resolve most of the issues with the lack of space between the notes, or is there going to need to be x over mods done as well, or is it just going to be hopeless?

Thanks again for the information.

Danny Richie

« Reply #195 on: 31 Jul 2010, 09:29 pm »
Well, the vertical measurements of your N1X is rather remarkable, consdering it neither is a concentric design nor uses a waveguide (the neo3 faceplate doesn't qualify).  If I didn't know better, I'd claim BS on these measurements.

There are two reasons for the really good vertical off axis response. Close center to center driver spacing, and a low crossover point.

The N2X is basically the same speaker and has the same low crossover point 1.8kHz but the driver spacing is further due to the larger woofer.

It still looks great, but not as good as the N1X.

Danny Richie

« Reply #196 on: 31 Jul 2010, 09:35 pm »
will the cabinet mods resolve most of the issues with the lack of space between the notes, or is there going to need to be x over mods done as well, or is it just going to be hopeless?

Fixing the cabinet issue will clean up the area in the upper vocals and make that area a little cleaner. It can also take a little of that ring off of the trailing edge of a piano.

The lack of space between notes is likely more to do with smearing caused by the caps.

On a good note though, there are only four parts in the crossover, so it would not be expensive to upgrade the parts.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #197 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:18 am »
Just wanna say, nice work Danny. Although the Behringer only uses a minimal crossover, the next question will be if you can optimize it even more, which I am sure is possible, but that will probably come after the component comparisons everybody here has planned...

Anand.

tubesguy2

« Reply #198 on: 2 Aug 2010, 03:50 pm »
Okay here are the measurements.

The real issue though was the peak at 750Hz.

Checking the spectral decay we can see that there is some excess energy there from something.

Next is the listening impressions.

Of course, I saw all of this in the impulse response. You just have to learn how to interpret the results.  :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #199 on: 2 Aug 2010, 04:08 pm »
Of course, I saw all of this in the impulse response. You just have to learn how to interpret the results.  :lol:

:lol: :lol: That is super funny. You made me laugh.  :thumb:  :thumb: