Oppo audio quality

Bigload

Oppo audio quality
« on: 22 Jul 2010, 05:46 pm »
I have a regular Oppo BDP-83 running HDMI through an Onkyo TX-NR5007, which is a good AVR with quality DAC, etc.  I am a 50-50 multi channel music- home theater listener.  If I swapped to an Oppo BDP-83 SE with the audio improvements and ran analog lines into my Onkyo, would that do much to improve audio quality?  From what I have read, I think the DAC in the Oppo SE and the DAC in the Onkyo 5007 are of comparable quality. 

I am not necessarily dissatisfied currently.  Just wondering.... what if?  You know how it is.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Big Red Machine

Re: Oppo audio quality
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2010, 05:56 pm »
I have the same question, so I'm piggybacking on this one.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2010, 06:30 pm »
Hi,

I had a BD83 using it with a Onkyo SR805 AVR.
I used both HDMI and the 2 Ch analog outs.

I upgraded to the BD83SE, I wanted the better 2 CH analog section in the 83  for 2 ch analog and multichannel analog for SACD etc.

Even though the Onkyo will do DSD for SACD etc.

I have compared countless times, hours etc.

My preference was listening to 2 CH via the analog outputs into the Onkyo over the HDMI.

After the SE upgrade...

The other test was to listen to the L/R analog outs from the OPPO BD83SE, these are part of the analog multi channel outs. and compare these to the 2 ch oppo analog outs...dont be confused they are different and use seperate dacs in the OPPO.

I prefer the sound of the multichannel L/R analog from the Oppo over the 2 ch anlaog from the Oppo...

So..#1 Multichannel using only the L/R from the OPPO.
#2 The normal 2 ch analog outs from the Oppo.
#3 HDMI
(Note #1 and #2 are close to sound quality).

Is the upgrade worth the price...only you can answer that..try to find a 83SE to listen to before u spend your bucks.

Alex

jd3

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2010, 07:57 pm »
I've not had the 'regular' Oppo BD83 so I can't compare.  I have the SE, and I find using it via the analog 2 channel outs to my Onkyo 886 sounds superior to me vs. HDMI.  I've not tried the L/R of the multichannel outs into the cd input on the Onkyo, but I will try that out this weekend and see if I notice a difference.  I personally think the 2 channel quality on the Onkyo isn't as good as into my old Outlaw pre, and for that reason I'm thinking of parting ways with the Onkyo.  The HDMI connections are nice for simplicity but I don't use much of the functionality of the Onkyo.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:59 pm »
I have a regular Oppo BDP-83 running HDMI through an Onkyo TX-NR5007, which is a good AVR with quality DAC, etc.  I am a 50-50 multi channel music- home theater listener.  If I swapped to an Oppo BDP-83 SE with the audio improvements and ran analog lines into my Onkyo, would that do much to improve audio quality?  From what I have read, I think the DAC in the Oppo SE and the DAC in the Onkyo 5007 are of comparable quality. 

I am not necessarily dissatisfied currently.  Just wondering.... what if?  You know how it is.

Thanks for your thoughts.

No way to "quantify" how much of an improvement it would be, but I don't think the ONKYO DACs are at the same level as the ESS Sabre32 chipset and the implmentation in the OPPO SE.

It would also depend on your total system, speakers, and your ability to discern sonic differences.

Feedback I receive has been all positive to the ESS SABRE32 version.

dvenardos

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:55 pm »
Anyone try having their Oppo modded?
http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_BDP-83_Mods.html

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2010, 12:21 am »

mchuckp

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2010, 12:40 am »
No way to "quantify" how much of an improvement it would be, but I don't think the ONKYO DACs are at the same level as the ESS Sabre32 chipset and the implmentation in the OPPO SE.

It would also depend on your total system, speakers, and your ability to discern sonic differences.

Feedback I receive has been all positive to the ESS SABRE32 version.

This was going to be my sentiments exactly.  It really boils down to your gear.  IMO, on my old home theater system using my Aperion speakers and Onkyo receiver, I don't think I would have heard much of a difference if at all.  Since then I've gone pure 2-channel gear with Salk speakers and room treatments and I hear differences in pretty much anything I do.

Results will vary with everyone's set up and hard to clarify how much it will make a difference.  In my system, I find the Oppo SE VERY good and worth the money.  I was able to beat it using my new Wyred4Sound DAC-1 which uses the same family of ESS Sabre DAC chips.  I personally REALLY like the sound of the Sabre DACs and perform amazingly when well implemented.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2010, 01:12 am »
It appears you need to overcome the set-up process limitations of the Oppo but that the menu does allow the analog outputs to be used for surround sound.  Does that mean the Oppo then knows to decode the signal on its own versus the AVP doing it?

dvenardos

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2010, 02:12 am »
If I understand your question correctly, yes the Oppo can decode and output over 7.1 analog outputs which is the main purpose of the SE version.

It appears you need to overcome the set-up process limitations of the Oppo but that the menu does allow the analog outputs to be used for surround sound.  Does that mean the Oppo then knows to decode the signal on its own versus the AVP doing it?

dvenardos

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2010, 02:15 am »
I was curious about the tweakaudio mod because it is cheaper to get a basic mod on the BDP-83 than to get the SE version, so I thought it might be an option for the OP.

And there is a whole slew of feedback and info on the most famous Oppo mod of them all, right here on AC:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68675.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75692.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82698.0

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2010, 02:22 am »

yes, in either stock 83 or SE you either go bitstream (AVP does decoding after Oppo sends it undecoded bitstream via HDMI) or you go LPCM (meaning Oppo does decoding internally and sends already decoded PCM signal out via HDMI and decoded analog out the 7.1 analog outs.  The only thing the internal Oppo decoder can't do is what is called surorund post processing (meaning things like laying Dolby PLIIx Cinema over True HD, thus turning 5.1 sources into 7.1).  With Oppo's internal TrueHD and DTS HD MA decoders it's 5.1 or 7.1, depending on the disc.

Bigload

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2010, 02:55 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  Since the Onkyo TX-NR 5007 was a pretty feature rich, nice sounding AVR with Burr Brown 32 bit DACS, I was just wanting to get some feedback that upgrading to a 83SE and letting it do the work would likely produce improved results through my Salk Veracity / Van Alstine surround system.  I may well have to order one and try it to really know. 

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2010, 03:04 pm »
The 83SE in 2ch mode sounds really good.  NuForce edition would be my choice if I am going that route.

Bigload

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2010, 12:49 pm »
Ordered the SE yesterday.  Will check it out and maybe do the NuForce upgrade later.  Thanks.

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2010, 08:40 pm »
Congrats!  I am sure the sound and picture will be great!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2010, 09:50 pm »
Since I have had my new AVA Insight SL + PreAmp and Ultravalve amp. I did to a comparison to the Onkyo 805 preamp outs to the AVA. The AVA just sounds much better to me. Its amazing on how the soundstageg and overall presence or clarity is between the two.

The Oppo SE is a very nice 2 ch analog source...dont know how much better a seperate DAC like AVA's Vision DAC etc...maybe for next X-mas I can talk Santa in to an upgrade!!

Alex

Bigload

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2010, 06:01 am »
My new 83SE was waiting on the doorstep tonight when I got home.  Plugged it in using all connections... 2 channel analog stereo, 7.1 multichannel analog, and HDMI.... all with Blue Jeans Cables.  Had enough time to mess around a little, listen to a standard CD (Salk demo), a couple of SACD's (Gershwin and Pink Floyd), an audio Blu-ray (2L Divertimenti), watched parts of Avatar and watched a Netflix I had sitting on the table.   I continued to switch between all 3 connections throughout each disk.  At this early stage, it seems very apparent that the 83SE running in either multichannel or stereo analog easily outperforms sending a bitstream signal to my Onk 5007.  The most noticable improvement is in stereo mode but multichannel was a nice improvement as well.  New details, a warmer presentation and a much deeper soundstage in stereo mode were all apparent.  It's definately a keeper.  I like it.  My HT2TL Salks like it too.  I will do more experimenting tomorrow.  I have to say I am a little surprised at how good it did sound compared to bitstreaming into the Onk TX-NR5007, which I think does a bang up job.   I guess you never know unless you try.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2010, 01:00 pm »
Since I have had my new AVA Insight SL + PreAmp and Ultravalve amp. I did to a comparison to the Onkyo 805 preamp outs to the AVA. The AVA just sounds much better to me. Its amazing on how the soundstageg and overall presence or clarity is between the two.

The Oppo SE is a very nice 2 ch analog source...dont know how much better a seperate DAC like AVA's Vision DAC etc...maybe for next X-mas I can talk Santa in to an upgrade!!

Alex

If Santa brings you that DAC, don't forget one of these -  http://www.port-ta.com/show.asp?id=203

Not expensive and it sounds really good converting SACD to PCM through a good DAC

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2010, 01:54 am »
My new 83SE was waiting on the doorstep tonight when I got home.  Plugged it in using all connections... 2 channel analog stereo, 7.1 multichannel analog, and HDMI.... all with Blue Jeans Cables.  Had enough time to mess around a little, listen to a standard CD (Salk demo), a couple of SACD's (Gershwin and Pink Floyd), an audio Blu-ray (2L Divertimenti), watched parts of Avatar and watched a Netflix I had sitting on the table.   I continued to switch between all 3 connections throughout each disk.  At this early stage, it seems very apparent that the 83SE running in either multichannel or stereo analog easily outperforms sending a bitstream signal to my Onk 5007.  The most noticable improvement is in stereo mode but multichannel was a nice improvement as well.  New details, a warmer presentation and a much deeper soundstage in stereo mode were all apparent.  It's definately a keeper.  I like it.  My HT2TL Salks like it too.  I will do more experimenting tomorrow.  I have to say I am a little surprised at how good it did sound compared to bitstreaming into the Onk TX-NR5007, which I think does a bang up job.   I guess you never know unless you try.

All my OPPO BDP-83se customers report virtually exactly as you have.  But as I mentioned earlier it is very difficult to quantify just how much of an improvement might be heard.

Congratulations on a good choice.