Some new Stratos pictures, with new caps.

Eduardo AAVM

Some new Stratos pictures, with new caps.
« on: 21 Jul 2010, 03:28 pm »
For your viewing pleasure.

BobC

Re: Some new Stratos pictures, with new caps.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2010, 03:38 pm »
Are those caps an upgrade over stock?

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2010, 05:18 pm »
Are those caps an upgrade over stock?

Yes. As far as I understand those Odyssey SL Reference caps are only an upgrade option, they are not part of the base configuration.

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2010, 05:40 pm »
So, it's a base component of the Kismet amps then?

How much does the upgrade cost?

Did you notice any benefits?  If so, what?

Thanks  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2010, 08:09 pm »
Hi Eduardo,
I wonder If you as Stratos user and dealer know If it have enough input sensitivity to be driven by a CD player(no Preamp)??
Thanks in advance, Gustavo

loki1957

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2010, 01:44 pm »
yes they do, I have done just that

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2010, 03:20 pm »
So, it's a base component of the Kismet amps then?

How much does the upgrade cost?

Did you notice any benefits?  If so, what?

Thanks  :thumb:

I think these caps are only an upgrade option for all lines from basic to Kismet. I am ordering a Khartago that will have those also.
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2010, 04:17 pm by Eduardo AAVM »

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2010, 03:22 pm »
Hi Eduardo,
I wonder If you as Stratos user and dealer know If it have enough input sensitivity to be driven by a CD player(no Preamp)??
Thanks in advance, Gustavo

Yes, I see no problem I have used a cary CDP-1 for that purpose and worked fine, and as this player has 6V thru XLR output I used those outputs and I think worked better than conventional 2V on regular RCA outputs.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2010, 03:41 pm »
yes they do, I have done just that

Yes, I see no problem I have used a cary CDP-1 for that purpose and worked fine, and as this player has 6V thru XLR output I used those outputs and I think worked better than conventional 2V on regular RCA outputs.
Thanks boys for informing.  My SCD-1 RCA output is 2V, I afraid the BAL output is only 2V too, not sure if the SCD-1 will work with a Stratos.
Regards, Gustavo

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2010, 12:37 am »
The Sony SCD-1 owner manual inform or page 22 the XLR output is 4Volts over 600 ohms load.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:18 pm »
The Sony SCD-1 owner manual inform or page 22 the XLR output is 4Volts over 600 ohms load.

This looks promising, should give a try.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2010, 04:26 pm »
This looks promising, should give a try.
Thanks Eduardo for your help, I appreciated it.
Gustavo

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2010, 07:23 pm »
Thanks Eduardo for your help, I appreciated it.
Gustavo

You're welcome !

On the same idea, using a player like Cary's CDP-1, with as much as 6V output per channel thru XLR and a digitally controlled variable output thru remote control will provide a sum of benefits for a minimalist Odyssey Stratos based stereo system.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2010, 08:58 pm »
You're welcome !

On the same idea, using a player like Cary's CDP-1, with as much as 6V output per channel thru XLR and a digitally controlled variable output thru remote control will provide a sum of benefits for a minimalist Odyssey Stratos based stereo system.
I was thinking of a Stratos monoblock with the potentiometer and the big knob from the Cyclops!
What do you think?

moyses

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2010, 02:10 pm »
Hello my friend Eduardo,
Would love to address you in Spanish but wont dare...
Nice pictures. I have just received two pairs of them. One for an old friend and customer, the other for my office/showroom here in Brasilia.
I think they sounded very good out of the box, but as Klaus observed and we all know, they will sound much better after a month or two. I am using a Tempest as preamp, Loreleis, and Groneberg cables. So it´s an all Odyssey + Groneberg system.
As you can see I went for synergy, synergy,synergy as Klaus likes to say. I am very much for it myself.
Can´t promise to upload pictures though. I am almost sure I can take them but uploading them is far above my humble abilities in the digital domain.
Moyses 

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm »
Hello dear Moyses, it is great to know you still are into Odyssey orbit, please keep us updated with music improvement and pictures if possible.

The other day I plugged a Zune to drive directly the Stratos and altough lacked some power it was well enough to fill the room with enough sound.

Nicholas Bedworth

• That's me, the one with the glasses...
    • DigitalDirect Website and demo
« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2010, 01:26 am »
Typical new-generation DACs can drive the Odyssey products, no problem. Often they have a selectable output range from 1 to 2 to 4 to 8 V. Getting rid of the preamp eliminates a lot of cost, interaces, etc.