I could not be more pissed right now

byteme

« on: 21 Feb 2004, 02:50 am »
After nearly missing my flight after fighting Dallas traffic because of some dumb ass instructor's directions, finally getting back to MKE only to find my battery dead and having to wait 1/2 hour for a jump - then driving home through snow and 40mph gusts of wind to top it all off I get home and there they are.  Two big ass boxes sitting in the garage - MY LORELEI'S!!  So, I pet my wife, hug the dog, run out to the garage and haul them both in the house (I'll even forgive the missing Nemesis, jumpers and cones).  Only to open the first box and find the UPS FUCK HEADS crushed one corner.  So I pull the other one out and as I set it down I hear a click sound.  So I look in the ports in back and BOTH speakers have the big air core inductor just banging around the inside of the box, literally crushing the crap out of the ports.

Both speakers are good for shit.  And I can't get hold of Klaus.  I could just freakin' cry.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2004, 02:54 am »
Byteme,

Sorry to hear this nan.

I know many people say there isn't a difference between UPS and other shipping companies (like FedEx or Bax Global), but I have had half a dozen packages wrecked or lost by UPS and none by the others.

I try like hell to never use UPS and hold my breath when I am forced to use them.

Hope you don't have too tough a time with the claim.

GW

djbnh

UPS issues
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2004, 04:32 am »
I have had a number of issues w/UPS w/ both my Stratos and Tempest. Had to send them back to Klaus a number of times. The last time, UPS screwed up the Tempest, Klaus sent me the part and I installed it. Rotten shipping, and Odyssey boxes and packing look like they should be able to handle some slapping around. Either Klaus or UPS is losing $ - probaly both on the deal, plus dissatisfied customers. I'll give Klaus beaucoup props - he'll make things right. Sorry to hear about your problem, and I hope it's reconciled soon. Expensive to ship those puppies back... :x

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2004, 06:04 am »
Crap.

Just read the message.  Brian, I'm so sorry to hear that,  and  I'll call you tomorrow.  Looks like I'm out 2 days of Travis' work for making you a new pair on Monday / Tuesday.

Late,

Klaus

Damn UPS.  However,  the last 5 times over the past 2- years they paid the damages,  and let's face it, FedEx or USPS  is not that much better.  And yet,  the packaging is superb,  and internationally,  there's pretty much 0 problem.  Go figure,

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2004, 06:04 am »
pet my wife and hug my dog ??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

F-100

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2004, 06:14 am »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
pet my wife and hug my dog ??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You can tell that he really had a very very bad day :)

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2004, 07:35 am »
Gee Brian, I hate to see the same UPS crap happen to you that happenned to me, and after just hearing the Lorelei's sing. :cry: My heartfelt sympathy's go out to you, your wife, and especially the dog,(give him a hug for me) But take it from me Brian, it'll be worth it in the end. Just be patient, (hea right!) and take heart in knowing your in good hands with Klaus. :D  Best regards, Robin

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2004, 08:05 am »
I am really sorry about that byteme, don't hate me for these words  but just "try to relax..."

I have to say that Klaus is right, since we work with UPS we have had no problem, so maybe is ground service what has it's problems, I say this because one time I asked Klaus to ship to Miami by UPS ground and there another service would bring my Tempest home, well the Tempest arrived damaged, I initially blamed the Miami service people, later the customs but now I am not so sure, maybe it was UPS' fault.

In my case by USPS, hell, two damaged shippings one Stratos ("just" faceplates) and my current Epiphonies with semi crushed corners... But againg I donot know if the fault was on your side or on themexican side (post service/customs)

In my situation we are now so confident about UPS+packaging that product is being shipped directly to customer, just today I inspected a new Khartago that arrived on Thursday and everything was just perfect.

Sorry byteme, it is a damn thing when that happens...

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2004, 10:52 am »
ha ha :lol:

btw if you married the girl you can go past the petting stage and get some nug nug-
but if you try and get nug nug from the dog i will call the spca :o
wtf now klaus spends time fixing your crap while i wait for my tempest :finger:

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2004, 12:10 pm »
I thought it was beat the wife and f@#$ the dog.... :roll:

Sorry to hear that Brian.  That totally sucks.  Nothing you can do so have a beer or 12.  Looks like there will be a pair of Lorelei B stocks shortly :?

byteme

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2004, 04:20 pm »
OK, today is a new day.  I'm still not happy but at least I'm calm, well, I was last night too - I just needed to vent.  Turns out I took the bottom off one of the speakers, it's not an inductor that came loose, it's the whole crossover.  It was only being restrained from going all over the cabinet by the solder attachment on the binding posts.  I have to assume it's the same in the other speaker because after seeing them, there is no way one inductor could come loose!  I also found another scratch kind of thing in the side of the other speaker (of course) from the one with the corner.

Yesterday, it seems, was just one of those days.  I'm confident we'll get this worked out.  

pet my wife and hug my dog ???  

Thanks for appreciating the humor!  Even in trying times you need to be able to laugh... :mrgreen:

rosconey

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2004, 04:57 pm »
any way to cob them back together -at least get a taste of the sound

Anton

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2004, 06:39 pm »
If it may help, try using Bax Air. When I bought my last speakers, Alan Yun, of Silverline, told me he would use Bax Air due to their excellent handling. Later, I learned from a friend that high-quality porcelain manufacturers, such as Limognes, use Bax Air because they rarely break anything.

When my speakers arrived, there were no marks even on the boxes!!!

Happy listening!

Pirate

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2004, 07:26 pm »
Byteme;

That’s the saddest tale I’ve heard in a long time :cry: . Be reminiscent of a Steve Martin, John Candy movie. The wait is hard enough let alone to have some scalawags damage the goods.  I be waitin on a pair of Nightingales and Tempest to ship and turn up safely. Klaus will make things right. So open a bottle of rum and fire those puppies up!  It only gets better from here!
 :rock:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2004, 11:29 pm »
Frankly, I never would have taken them outta the boxes, it just makes it harder to get a UPS claim thru if you do. Best case scenario is to have the boxes untampered with so's to actually pinpoint the damages to them. After the speakers have been taken out, UPS can always claim that you dropped them. :nono: And with UPS's track record for damages, a big part of their company must be just taking care of claims. It took UPS 10 days to return my Lorelei to Klaus and I never even removed on piece of tape. With the gapping hole thru the side of the box n' into the speaker, there was no need to. :roll: Regards, Robin

bubba966

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2004, 03:16 am »
Robin, damage can be done without harming the shipping box...

I had a DVDP shipped from overseas by DHL. Got here and the box was in perfect shape, and it was packed well. There was no sign of visible damage at all.

But they'd dropped it hard enough to render the laser pickup to be useless. :evil:

After about 2 months of arguing with them over the damage claim, they wouldn't do any better than paying 40% of the insured value. Which wasn't even enough to repair the player! :evil:

But the stuff I've gotten from UPS has been worse. It's been terribly obvious that they broke the contents as the box's were trashed.

Captain Humble

« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2004, 03:31 am »
byteme,
If it's any consolation, the only ones more disappointed than me would probably be you, your wife and Klaus.  Disasters always have more impact when they happen to someone you know.

I was really looking forward to hearing about your new setup.  Keep us posted.  I still can't wait for you to hear them in your system and room, which apparently is similar to mine.

May the force be with you.
Jeff

Dunedain

« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2004, 05:50 pm »
I know what you mean, Byteme.  We had speakers recently shipped by UPS and once we got
the boxes inside (it was dark outside when they were delivered) we noticed the boxes had
various tears and holes in them, including one hole so big you could put your fist through it!

We were horrified (and outraged over the obviously poor handling of these expensive items)
when we saw this, quite rightly fearing the worst.

The only thing that saved us was the fact that these speakers were packed more heavily
than any other object I have ever seen before.  It was incredible the amount of material that
kept the speakers safe.  And that is the only (that and Divine intervention) reason
the speakers were not damaged in shipping.  They work perfectly thanks to the fantastic
packing job.  In spite of the careless idiots they must have working at UPS!

byteme

« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2004, 05:58 pm »
The thing that amazes me the most is that the crossovers, (yes, the are HUGE) are held on to the bottom of the speaker by 4 zip ties.  Three are about 3/8 inch or so wide and rather hefty.  In BOTH speakers they were torn free from the ties and floating around inside.  In one case it also ripped the connection out of the platinum plated WBT connector.

Do you have any idea how you'd have to handle these boxes in order for that to happen?  4 zip ties!  Those things are such SOBs that when you WANT to try and break or cut one it's a pain in the ass and now, they are just torn in pieces.  Amazing.

I've spoken with Klaus, and as you can imagine he is going out of his way to get things right.  I'm confident this will have a happy ending.

MaxCast

« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2004, 07:40 pm »
You would see a drastic reduction in UPS claims if the amount paid in claims was deducted out of their pensions.