YES Remasters --Amazing--

Dmason

« on: 20 Feb 2004, 01:17 am »
For all you aging prog-rockers, the newy remastered YES albums, -the ones you like the most, (1970-78) have all been remastered and are available through Rhino Records. I have them and can tell you that they are flat out amazing. Far more information on these albums that was never to be heard, until now. With the Nixon DAC, it is a true musical gift, for the most part, beautifully produced, 'Close To The Edge' gains depth and warmth, not the thin sounding representation of the past.

TheChairGuy

Re: YES Remasters --Amazing--
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2004, 01:35 am »
Quote from: Dmason
For all you aging prog-rockers, the newy remastered YES albums, -the ones you like the most, (1970-78) have all been remastered and are available through Rhino Records. I have them and can tell you that they are flat out amazing. Far more information on these albums that was never to be heard, until now. With the Nixon DAC, it is a true musical gift, for the most part, beautifully produced, 'Close To The Edge' gains depth and warmth, not the thin sounding representation of the past.

Just bought this 10 days ago!  I didn't have original (Close to the Edge)  on vinyl, so I can't compare, but it's really enjoyable.

A few extra tracks have been added and the visual presentation looks very vinyl retro.  Quite nice...and Bruford's drums just thwack away nicely on this one.

Thump553

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2004, 04:22 pm »
This has me pretty excited.  I was one of the early adopters of the CD format, and Fragile was one of the first CDs I got.  I was very disappointed in it-it was pretty flat and lifeless.  Yes, especially the early 70's stuff, was pretty amazing and would sound really good with the proper remastering.

hmen

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:15 pm »
I agree totally. The remasters are a vast improvement over the original CD releases.

Dmason

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:43 pm »
I think it deserves mention that these remasters were supervised by Chris Squire and the finals approved by the current band, which will be touring the States in April.

Fragile and Close To The Edge always sounded flat to me, enough so to put me off listening to them much, back when, .........but NOW, it has texture and life. 'Going For The One' is quite powerful actually, and the overall vibe is almost like a re-take on ALL the material. Total Rediscovery.

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2004, 05:58 pm »
Thanks for mentioning these...I was a huge Yes fan back in the day, and was always disappointed by the past remaster efforts on their albums.  Just ordered Close to the Edge, Fragile, and The Yes Album...looking forward to them!

ABEX

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2004, 07:07 pm »
Have a YES on a Classics series CD and have been wondring about getting more.Thx for the tip!

Bwanagreg

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2004, 07:35 pm »
Damn you all to hell. Now I had to order the complete set  :)

Anyone else see the "Yes in the Round" shows? I never did figure out how they avoided wrapping the cables in a knot with the revolving stage.

I had the same reaction to a lot of my early CD purchases of 70's era recordings -  :cry:  Glad to see they are finally getting some of them right.

BroonsBane

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2004, 07:36 pm »
How do the remasters compare to Fragile on DVD-A?

Dmason

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2004, 07:45 pm »
The Redbooks sound sooo good, I am starting to drink wine as I listen. Liquid Lunch today! Put it this way: Yes' magical sound is Right Here, Right Now. The DVD-A is being seen as a cornerstone achievement.

I asked a roadie in '78 how they did the round stage electrically. The master AC contact was on a rotary track, in the sub-flooring set down for the stage to turn on. From there everything was plugged in.

My advice: buy ALL these albums. This is a whole new visit to Yesworld!!

BroonsBane

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2004, 07:51 pm »
Alright, I'm sold! Yes must love me with all the different formats of their stuff that I've bought over the years!

Tbadder1

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2004, 06:46 pm »
These have gotta be great reissues because I don't even like Yes, but Relayer sounded so good I went with Fragile and Closer and never regretted--great job!