Frank's HT2-TL (RAAL version) in ribbon

jsalk

Frank's HT2-TL (RAAL version) in ribbon
« on: 14 Jul 2010, 07:27 pm »
Frank wanted a pair of HT2-TL's and whatever Frank wants, Frank gets.  Except he asked for Brazilian cherry.  We suggested he opt for ribbon-striped mahogany and we could dye it the same color.  The mahogany would provide more sparkle (chatoyance) and a more 3-dimensional look.  Other than that, it would look about the same.

Frank said, "OK...if you think so."  We did.

Here are the results...

and a close-up...

Happy listening Frank (make sure you hook them up to some great gear)!

- Jim

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Frank's HT2-TL (RAAL version) in ribbon
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2010, 07:42 pm »
Congratulations Frank ! A lovely addition to your listening pleasure.   8)

Outstanding finish Jim (as usual).  :thumb:

Somehow I don't think he'll have any problem finding some fine gear to drive them.  :D

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2010, 10:01 pm »
Congratulations, Frank.  I don't think you'll have to worry about finding quality gear to drive those beauties. :)  I look forward to your listening impressions.

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2010, 10:23 pm »
Very nice Frank and Jim! :thumb:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2010, 01:28 pm »
Great, Jim! have they been shipped? looking forward to Frank's impression :eyebrows:

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:20 pm »
Great, Jim! have they been shipped? looking forward to Frank's impression :eyebrows:

They left yesterday (Friday).

- Jim

Opus Flatus

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2010, 06:49 pm »
Those look mighty fine :drool:. I'd also like to read Frank's impressons. He is an excellent writer for being an engineer.

Mudslide

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2010, 07:19 pm »
These are really lovely and another monument to your craft, Jim.

Hey Frank, when you finally upgrade to the SoundScapes (and you should), I'll take these off your hands!    :eyebrows:

mathgeek97

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2010, 01:44 am »
Frank,

Congrats on the new towers. Please let us know which combination(s) of AVA goodies you like best with them!

Art_Chicago

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2010, 02:51 am »
well, we all are waiting for the fedex truck to arrive.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:08 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have waited to report on my new HT2TL speakers until I had time to complete an experiment with them that Jim Salk suggested.

Jim sent me the speakers with a slight high frequency rise designed into the crossover to provide more of the "air" normal with the previous generation ribbon tweeters (mine have the new RAAL ribbons). Jim was concerned that the new ribbons might sound too bland for some listeners.

I was not enthused about this crossover modification.  I heard a bit of glare and grain that I have tried so hard to design out of our electronics.

The "standard" crossover parts arrived today and I installed them.  All that changed was replacing two 12 ohm resistors with two 10 ohm resistors, one per speaker.

This really brought the "magic" back to my speakers.  Bland?  Not at all, just amazingly transparent and musical.  The glare and grain is gone, the lower end of the midrange warmed up a bit, and the sound now is truly involving and natural.

My 35W/ch Ultravalve tube amp has plenty of power for the HT2s, and the match is as much "made in audio heaven" as reported in the current issue of The Absolute Sound) as with the Songtowers, but with an even better sound stage and bass extension.

After a few more days of listening in the sound lab the new HT2s are going into my AV system.  No surround sound equipment there, just the Salk speaker pair, an Ultravalve amp, Vision DAC, AvaStar preamp, all conneced to my OPPO blue ray player digital out and directly to my cable box analog outputs for TV sound, with a Sony 40" XBR flat screen for the picture.

The KISS theory (keep it simple, stupid) works for me for my audio system, and if I am missing the bombs going off behind me in the kitchen on War of the Worlds movies, I simply don't care.  I can understand all the words.  :)

The HT2TL speakers, set for flat response, are great.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2010, 01:12 am »
Happy to hear AVA is Happy.  I never got to hear the 12 ohm version.  I was happy with the 10 ohm, but I can understand why Jim might have been a little nervous about reactions to the RAAL, since it definitely has less intense sound in the 8- 10k region.  As I mentioned to you, the change wasn't really to give more "air".  The RAAL has that in spades.  It was to give the highs a little more sizzle. 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:12 am »
Hi Folks,

I have waited to report on my new HT2TL speakers until I had time to complete an experiment with them that Jim Salk suggested.

Jim sent me the speakers with a slight high frequency rise designed into the crossover to provide more of the "air" normal with the previous generation ribbon tweeters (mine have the new RAAL ribbons). Jim was concerned that the new ribbons might sound too bland for some listeners.

I was not enthused about this crossover modification.  I heard a bit of glare and grain that I have tried so hard to design out of our electronics.

The "standard" crossover parts arrived today and I installed them.  All that changed was replacing two 12 ohm resistors with two 10 ohm resistors, one per speaker.

This really brought the "magic" back to my speakers.  Bland?  Not at all, just amazingly transparent and musical.  The glare and grain is gone, the lower end of the midrange warmed up a bit, and the sound now is truly involving and natural.

My 35W/ch Ultravalve tube amp has plenty of power for the HT2s, and the match is as much "made in audio heaven" as reported in the current issue of The Absolute Sound) as with the Songtowers, but with an even better sound stage and bass extension.

After a few more days of listening in the sound lab the new HT2s are going into my AV system.  No surround sound equipment there, just the Salk speaker pair, an Ultravalve amp, Vision DAC, AvaStar preamp, all conneced to my OPPO blue ray player digital out and directly to my cable box analog outputs for TV sound, with a Sony 40" XBR flat screen for the picture.

The KISS theory (keep it simple, stupid) works for me for my audio system, and if I am missing the bombs going off behind me in the kitchen on War of the Worlds movies, I simply don't care.  I can understand all the words.  :)

The HT2TL speakers, set for flat response, are great.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Frank, I am with you on the KISS theory, it is a good one!  :lol: Thank you for the opinion about HT2-TL, it matters!

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:20 am »
Happy to hear AVA is Happy.  I never got to hear the 12 ohm version.  I was happy with the 10 ohm, but I can understand why Jim might have been a little nervous about reactions to the RAAL, since it definitely has less intense sound in the 8- 10k region.  As I mentioned to you, the change wasn't really to give more "air".  The RAAL has that in spades.  It was to give the highs a little more sizzle.

I wasn't aware there was more than one crossover version.  So which version would I receive if I ordered a pair of HT2-TLs? :?

I assume that the HT2-TL (and the SoundScape for that matter) that I heard at your place weren't modified to give the highs "a little more sizzle"?  I liked the RAAL tweeter as I heard it so wouldn't be sure that I would like "more sizzle" (although based on Franks description I guess it would be simple to change if I wanted).

I appreciate any clarification. :)

PS - My appologies if this is too far off topic. :oops:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:25 am »
Hi   You heard the 10 ohm version, which is the only one I've tried.   I assume that will be the standard, but Jim would have to confirm that.  In case anyone is confused about why a 10 ohm resistor would sound less bright than a 12 ohm, it's the parallel resistor in the tweeter L-pad.  For a ground connection like that, the lower the resistor value, the less the output.  A zero ohm resistor to ground would completely short the tweeter out.  An infinitely high value would have absolutely no effect on the tweeter output. 

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:29 am »
Hi   You heard the 10 ohm version, which is the only one I've tried.   I assume that will be the standard, but Jim would have to confirm that.  In case anyone is confused about why a 10 ohm resistor would sound less bright than a 12 ohm, it's the parallel resistor in the tweeter L-pad.  For a ground connection like that, the lower the resistor value, the less the output.  A zero ohm resistor to ground would completely short the tweeter out.  An infinitely high value would have absolutely no effect on the tweeter output.

Thanks.  I sent a PM to Jim.

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jul 2010, 11:54 am »
Just so there is no confusion, there are not multiple versions of this crossover.  Since we have a close working relationship with Frank and his listening skills are excellent, we were simply conducting an experiment.  HT2-TL's will be shipped with the standard tweeter padding.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:53 pm »
Just so there is no confusion, there are not multiple versions of this crossover.  Since we have a close working relationship with Frank and his listening skills are excellent, we were simply conducting an experiment.  HT2-TL's will be shipped with the standard tweeter padding.

- Jim

Thanks Jim. :)

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jul 2010, 03:34 pm »
Frank,

Thanks for sharing your impressions.  I am very happy to hear that you're loving your new speakers.  AVA + Salk = sonic bliss.  Enjoy!

hertz

« Reply #19 on: 6 Aug 2010, 11:21 am »

Very interesting.

A loudspeaker should just produce whatever is there in the recording. Nothing should be added or taken away. I sometimes feel the most remarkable loudspeaker is the one which is remarkable for not adding anything.
The RAAL has found a good home. Frank has a remarkable ear !

Is the RAAL in Frank's speaker the same one used in the soundscape models ?
I have been talking to Jim about the prospects of buying an HT1 or the HT1-TL with the soundscape RAAL tweeter versions.