AVA Amp questions

Bigload

AVA Amp questions
« on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:46 pm »
I have 3 different Insight+ amps around my house and enjoy them all very much.  I am always contemplating ways to improve and I had a few questions I was hoping to clear up though.

1.  On my Double 240/3, is there anything wrong with running different impedance speakers?  (a single 4ohm speaker and 2 8ohm speakers at the same time)

2.  Would it be ill advised to run a Fet Valve hybrid amp and Insight+ SS amp to power different speakers in the same 5.1 surround system? 

3.  My Salk HT1TL 8ohm, 85dB sensitivity speakers seem somewhat more difficult to drive and require a pretty high gain setting to balance with the rest of my system.  Is there anything necessarily wrong with just cranking these way up to level out with my other speakers?  I currently run these as surround speakers off my Double 240/3+ along with my center channel and often listen at theater like volume levels.  I then also run a set of HT2TL's as fronts and power them from a Double 260+. 

Thanks.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: AVA Amp questions
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:54 pm »
Can't speak to 1 & 3, but as for 2 - I'm running my 2 channel/HT fronts with a FetValve 550, and the center/surrounds with a 240/3, without any problems. Speakers are all Song Tower QWT w/domes. Surrounds are SS Is.

I'm sure there's enough in the know to address 1 & 3 more than adequately. Hope this helps a little.

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2010, 07:31 pm »
No problem with running different impedance speakers at the same time from the Insight+ Double 240/3 amplifier.

You certainly can run both our hybrid and solid state amps in a surround system, many of our clients do this.

No problem cranking the levels up on the HT1TLs as long as you don't start blowing speaker fuses often.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Bigload

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2010, 12:11 am »
That answers my questions.  Thanks very much.

turkey

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:06 pm »
3.  My Salk HT1TL 8ohm, 85dB sensitivity speakers seem somewhat more difficult to drive and require a pretty high gain setting to balance with the rest of my system.  Is there anything necessarily wrong with just cranking these way up to level out with my other speakers?  I currently run these as surround speakers off my Double 240/3+ along with my center channel and often listen at theater like volume levels.  I then also run a set of HT2TL's as fronts and power them from a Double 260+. 

If possible, you might want to try popping in a DVD and setting the volume up for the overall listening levels you'd like. Then cut the volume to your HT2TLs and center channel and listen to just the HT1TL speakers. That way you'll be able to hear if they're sounding strained or like they're getting into trouble.

If they sound fine and, like Frank mentioned, you're not blowing speaker fuses, then you're probably good to go.