n00bish question...

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
n00bish question...
« on: 13 Jul 2010, 03:02 pm »
Do amplifiers 'Multiply', or 'Add To', the signal they are fed?

Or, would an amplifier with more gain sound more dynamic or just louder for a given input signal?

Thanks for your input, Barry  :thumb:

JohnR

Re: n00bish question...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2010, 03:58 pm »
They multiply - just louder with more gain. "More dynamic" is more likely to be a more complex combination of factors which is not going to be easy to characterize but probably includes peak SPL capability relative to average level, distortion vs SPL vs frequency, bandwidth, settling time, and noise floor.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:13 pm »
Well I would imagine a larger multiplier will be more dynamic sounding, lets just toss some numbers into an equation...

Amp X offers a gain of 26 so when fed .1 watts it produces 2.6 and when fed 1 watt it will produce 26 a difference of 23.4

Amp Y offers a gain of 30 so when fed .1 watts it produces 3.0 and when fed 1 watt it will produce 30 a difference of 27.0

I would imagine that having a greater difference between the quiet and loud portions of a signal would equate to a more dynamic sound... No(?)

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:43 pm »
OK, but again, it's multiplication that counts, not differences (in linear values). Think of it in terms of decibels, for which the formula is 20 log V1/V0 (for voltage) or 10 log P1/P0 (for power). It makes no difference how much gain the amp has, as long as it is operating in its linear region, multiplying the input signal by 10 will multiply the output signal by 10. (And I assume you probably meant Volts not watts.)

Barry_NJ

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:51 pm »
(And I assume you probably meant Volts not watts.)

Thanks for the responses John! (And possibly. I am pretty n00bish when it come to some of the technicalities of our hobby ;) )

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:09 pm »
Sure, no worries. I'm not really sure if it helped with your inquiry. It's certainly possible that there are other factors at play - for example two amps that are otherwise identical could have differing amounts of feedback, thereby changing not just gain but also the distortion profile and damping factor, which could well be audible.