Question regarding Panasonic XR series amplifiers

eggman51

« on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:21 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks for the great information in these forums regarding the Panasonic digital amplifiers.

I tried to get an XR45, but was unable to locate one. I have considered an XR25, but... it seems as though the XR50 is going to come to market soon, so I may as well wait for that.

I would be using the amplifier in an HTPC environment for DVD, high bitrate WMA and MP3 files and TV / PVR viewing (stereo only due to limitations in the way the PVR cards work). The connection from the PC is through SPDIF from a Chaintech AV-710 sound card. I don't think I'd bother to use an analog connection, though I might consider it to experiment with DVDA or SACD. I have a fairly decent mid range set of 5 Paradigm speakers with a 12" Inifinity Sub and currently have a 6 year old Kenwood VR2090 (which I have come to hate).

Fo me the HTPC is about having a very good system that is integrated and easy to use and becomes the "media center" in the home. I won't dare say I am an "audiophile" but I do want to get the best sound quality for my money. And I like it when the house vibrates during LOTR =)

Some questions I have about the XR series I am hoping some folks here can answer:

1. Is anyone using the multi source re-mastering?

- this is not on the XR25 or 50 (afaik)
- this sounds like potentially useful processing for an HTPC application
- I am concerned that this really won't do much for me... but given the current pricing differential between the models, does this (along with other upgrades in the higher end model) make it worth waiting for the 70?

2. Does anyone have an idea when the XR70 is coming to market?

- XR50 is late March early April and is supposed to actually have *very* agressive pricing (according to a reliable source I have)
- If XR70 is same time frame I might consider that, although if the price delta is large I may consider the XR50 (my source will not be stocking the XR70 and as a result doesn't have a lot fo details on it)
- note that I can likely get a *great* price on the 50 when it becomes avaialble (about $225 USD)

3. Given that the "known" differences between the XR50 and XR70 that are *possibly* applicable to me are HDMI, similarly upgraded circuitry as applies to the 25 vs 45 and the re-mastering, does the XR70 really make sense?

- note that I have committed to NOT buy any more components and live with the capabilities and limitations of my HTPC environment (meaning if HDMI is required for SACD & DVD A, I'd require an HDMI sound card .. don't see any of those on the horizon)
- are there any other relavant differences between the 25 / 45 & 50 / 70 that are relavant to my application?

4. What do you folks mean by "burn in" period?

- not sure I understand what is being burned in and what the best way to do this is

5. Any tips, comments, general feedback for someone considering one of these amplifiers?

THANKS for any guidance you can provide.

Eamonn

OBF

« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2004, 09:28 pm »
Eamonn,

I can't really answer your question as I don't yet own one of these, but a couple comments:  I think an HTPC modded XR70 combo would be awesome as that's supposedly the lowest jitter source available so the Equibit amps can perform at their best.  And, the new XR70 can (I believe) decode DVD-A via the HDMI input, but Panasonic has said they will never support SACD.