A basic external audio control question-

mixsit

A basic external audio control question-
« on: 12 Jul 2010, 07:11 am »
I was all set to get my mom a little powered studio monitor to use in as an improvement over her Samsung 4000 series LCD's internal speakers.
Turns out apparently from what I can find in the manual the choice is 'speaker off' but with no option to use the remote as the volume control. I took a look at a Panasonic plasma manual, seems the same there.
This seems like it would be a fairly basic useful option (or am I missing something here?

srb

Re: A basic external audio control question-
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2010, 08:21 am »
I was all set to get my mom a little powered studio monitor to use in as an improvement over her Samsung 4000 series LCD's internal speakers.
Turns out apparently from what I can find in the manual the choice is 'speaker off' but with no option to use the remote as the volume control. I took a look at a Panasonic plasma manual, seems the same there.
This seems like it would be a fairly basic useful option (or am I missing something here?

There might be a few TVs that have an additional pair of variable analog audio outputs that can be controlled with the TV's volume control, but almost all only have fixed audio line outputs that are meant to be used with an amplifier or receiver that has it's own volume control.

If you want to get her something with remote control, but not have a separate amplifier or receiver, you could get something like the remote-controlled powered Kanto speakers, either the single cabinet stereo speaker models ZED, SYD 4 or SYD 5, or a pair of stereo speakers like the iPair 5.

http://www.kantospeakers.com/index.html

Steve

mixsit

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2010, 09:13 am »
Yeah. Except the idea was 'watch some tv, with decent sound, one remote.  :?

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2010, 06:51 pm »
Well there are certainly some TV's (or HD /cable boxes) that allow selection of audio line out as fixed or variable  ( i.e. Sony for example) but that toggle can be buried 4 or 5 levels deep in menu selection

usually it'll be included near the option to turn off internal speakers;  on the subject of which - when was the last time the onboard speakers / amps had any quality at all?  I can remember the chip amp and bolt-on (APM?) speakers on my mid 80's XBR were "OK", but they were quickly bypassed. 

My current system is an LG 42" plasma with sole source of Motorola HD/PVR (I've turned on the old school DVD only once or twice in the past 3 years), and Rotel RB850 power amp driving a single pair of DIY speakers,  so it's simple to use the cable box's remote to operate the whole rig.  While these (cable box)  remotes are not universally intuitive or user friendly, once it and the TV's remote is used to program the input default and label settings, you can pull the batteries out of the latter.   

Of course a full immersion multichannel HT rig with all flavors of input sources will be exponentially more complex control-wise. (doesn't there always seem to be at least one more remote required than the number of components in the system - you know to make it "simpler" to control?   :?

srb

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:15 pm »
Well there are certainly some TV's (or HD /cable boxes) that allow selection of audio line out as fixed or variable  ( i.e. Sony for example) but that toggle can be buried 4 or 5 levels deep in menu selection

Yes, my old JVC 32" CRT had the option, but my modern Panasonic 50" plasma does not.

Steve

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:39 pm »
An alternative is one of the Logitech Harmony remotes to control the TV and the audio from a single remote.

chrisby

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2010, 09:43 pm »
Until a few years ago, I was a big fan of Sony CRTs - had 4 different models / sizes over a 30 yr span, so just for kicks I checked their current website to confirm availability of this feature.  On at least the higher end models, it's still an option, but what really made me scratch my head was :

Featuring an advanced Intelligent Presence Sensor with Face Detection, this 3D HDTV recognizes when someone is watching the screen. Depending on where you're seated in the room, the TV will automatically optimize sound balance and picture performance, warn children if they're sitting too close, or shut off the picture completely if no one is watching. 

I'm just waiting for a feature that decides for me if I even need to watch the program at all   (that is when my wife is otherwise occupied)   :eyebrows: