Mass loading taken to ridiculous lengths

nathanm

« on: 19 Feb 2004, 03:53 pm »
Here's a general question which is slightly idiotic and whose answer should be self-evident, but I'm asking anyway for the heck of it.

Would it be structurally sound to take a VMPS New Larger subwoofer, put a chunk of foam, rubber or board or something on the top and then on top of that set a 187 lbs. speaker?  I am contemplating the purchase of a very ginormous pair of monitors and since I already have one VMPS sub I figure with two of them they'd make swell stands and save me a bit 'o DIY stand-making effort.  That and the height is probably just right.

So is that a bearable load for ye olde MDF footer doohickey or am I crazy?

maxwalrath

« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2004, 03:59 pm »
I REALLY want to see a picture of a 187 lb. monitor. Got one nathan?

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:08 pm »
i have a marble top on my large that goes about 80lbs(2 sheets 1" mdf and 12x12 marble cut to fit  edges trimed with oak), and put a 60lb speaker on top of that-no problems-well one problem -when you crank a bass track the speaker walks-

i would at least use some 3/4 mdf on top to help spread the weight of th speaker so the cabinet doesnt cup in the middle from the weight of the speaker-maybe contact the new wood guy and have a solid maple top made :mrgreen:

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:14 pm »
Tannoy System 215 DMT IIs.  Normally seen soffit-mounted in control rooms, but that of course won't be possible in my case.

specs: http://www.tannoyna.com/professional/product_System215DMTII.html

I figure this bad boy crossed over way low to the largers will be mighty ass-kickin' but hell who knows they might not even need a sub.  Mainly I am just concerned with the weight factor.

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:22 pm »
better hope you get speaker placement right the first time if you use a large for bass and base :lol: thats a lot of friggin weight

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:23 pm »
btw you going to let them use the ac logo on t shirts :?:

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:28 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
 :scratch: Not sure what this is in reference to.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:34 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Quote from: rosconey
 :scratch: Not sure what this is in reference to.

Nathan, see this thread.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8321&highlight=

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2004, 04:39 pm »
:o do i have the wrong nathan :?:

John Casler

Re: Mass loading taken to ridiculous lengths
« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2004, 05:39 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Here's a general question which is slightly idiotic and whose answer should be self-evident, but I'm asking anyway for the heck of it.

Would it be structurally sound to take a VMPS New Larger subwoofer, put a chunk of foam, rubber or board or something on the top and then on top of that set a 187 lbs. speaker?  I am contemplating the purchase of a very ginormous pair of monitors and since I already have one VMPS sub I figure with two of them they'd make swell stands and save me a bit 'o DIY stand- ...

I have 2  95# Dumbbells (total 190#) sitting atop my Larger with no problem and have been advocating such for some time now.

Talk about tight, musical bass.... :lol:

I have it mated to my 626Rs and sloped in with the new NHT X-2 crossover I have been slobering about, with excellent integration and "super" BASS exactly in the sweet seat. :mrgreen:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
weights
« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:07 pm »
Weighting your woofer cabinets is highly efficacious, the more the better.  A sub can handle about 500 lbs of added weight.

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2004, 06:12 pm »
Thanks Brian!  That is good to know.  The only bummer thing about this idea is that I'd be covering up the nice glossy black finish! :)