Great meal, great host, great speakers (amp & preamp too

byteme

I got a chance last night to meet Captain Humble and ate dinner at his restaurant - Dodie's Seafood Cafe II - http://www.dodiesseafood.com/ .  Dallas' north side seems to be the epicenter of restaurants - noone around here must cook at home ever because you can't fall over without landing on at least 2 or 3 restaurants.  How they can all remain a going concern is beyond me.  For my money though, Captain doens't need to worry!  All I can say is, if you're even close to Dallas' north side you have to stop for the Oyster's Dotie.  DAMN!  Everything else was excellent as well, blackened tuna (medium rare of course) w/ Jambalya was outstanding and the Oysters on the half shell were the best I've ever had.  Everyone was very friendly and I would go out of my way to stop again!

OK, but noone in this forum is here for a restaurant review.  Right?  Jeff graciously hosted me at his house so I could hear his Lorelei's, driven by a Stratos dual mono and Tempest.  The first thing that struck me is that the 8545 driver seems a lot smaller in person than in the pictures I've seen on 6Moons.  The speakers themselves are also a touch smaller than I anticipated, however, Jeff has them in a big (Texas sized) room flanking a HUGE wall unit which I'm sure contributed to my impression.  The next thing that struck me once we put on a disc I brought along was how big the soundstage is - again, Texas sized, but not unnaturally big.  Then I noticed how at once they had more detail, punch, weight, while at the same time having more emotion, "you are there" and realism to them.  Finally! a stand up bass sounded like a stand up bass, voices were more believable, the depth of the soundstage was also very impressive.  

The one thing I continued to notice as we sat and listened and talked for a couple hours was, even when the music was only on at low volume in the background I was constantly distracted away from what we were talking about by what was coming out of the Lorelei's.  All the detail and realism remains.  Based on what I heard last night I'm confident that I'll be a happy camper when they arrive - which SHOULD BE (hear that Klaus?  :wink: ) waiting for me in the garage when I get home Friday!!  :mrgreen:

I'm sure I'll have more to say about my own Lorelei's but, like the Oyster's Dotie, this experience with Jeff's Lorelei's has whet my appetite and got me really excited for the main course!

Thanks again Jeff!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:32 am »
Told ya so! :mrgreen: Regards, Robin

Captain Humble

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2004, 03:43 pm »
byteme,
Thanks for the glowing review of my restaurant.

It was a pleasure meeting you and I quite enjoyed the music you brought along.  You validated my opinion of the Lorelies with your smile.  It's one thing to hear friends rave about the best system they've ever heard.  It's quite another to hear someone that's just shelled out 2.7K, for the same speakers, say they that the Lors are exactly what they were looking for and they can't wait to get home and uncrate theirs.  

Klaus, you've got two very happy customers here.  :dance:

The disc you liked is David Arkenstone, RETURN OF THE GUARDIANS.  It's one of my favorite CDs but it may not be his best work.  I found two titles by Arkenstone when shopping for music with a buddy.  We both slightly preferred the other disk.  Forgot the title.  I lost the coin toss and Rocky bought it.

Brian, I look forward to your next visit, at which time, you must try my tweeked and modded Oysters Dodie.  Last night I gave the chefs cryo treated, solid silver oyster knives with a bybee filter stuck around each knife handle.  I then glued Panda Feet to the bottom of their tennis shoes.  These tweaks have greatly reduced the noise and vibration of the knife prying open the oyster shells which translates to happier oysters and surley better taste.  Stay tunned, shoot out tonight.  :wink:

Happy Mardi Gras!
Jeff

byteme

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:33 pm »
I then glued Panda Feet to the bottom of their tennis shoes.

Good thing you didn't try that with Audioprism isobearings - that would have been a lawsuit waiting to happen.  Too wiggly for walking on a slippery floor!

I can't wait to try the Bybee'd knife opened oysters.  I think we all know it starts at the source so as you said, happier, less resonant oysters will taste better.  You may want to think about cryo'd outlets and a BTP power filter for powering the Fryers and grill!  Much blacker blackening, quieter chefs - it's as if the food arrives out of nowhere!!

By the way, Jeff.  I found the Akerstone CDs.  Got the Guardian one and also In the Wake of the Wind.  Got them "used" on Amazon for about $6 each.  Apparently Wind is the first and Return is the last in a Trilogy of CDs.  These were reported to be his best two CDs.

Again, thanks for everything!

KJ

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:01 am »
Had a chance to hear Captain Humble's fine system today while visiting family in Fort Worth.  Ditto on byteme's comments of Dodie's Seafood Cafe II.  Truly outstanding cuisine.  I intend to make a repeat visit next time I'm in town.  Hats off to the Captain!  :thumb:

Not knowing what to expect, the Lorelei's were a pleasant treat to sample.  Coming from my system (monitors), I'm amazed at just how low these moderately sized speakers can go.  The drivers do appear smaller in person, but they manage to get the job done regardless.  Detail is abundant and the width of the listening area is substantial.  They certainly have me re-evaluating my future upgrade plans.

Questions that come to mind:
  a) Are other Lorelei owners supplementing their system with a sub?
  b) If so, with what?
  c) What crossover frequency do you use?

Cap'n H. managed to seemlessly integrate his sub into the system.  However, I don't believe there is an Odyysey sub to complement the rest of the line.   Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

-KJ

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:25 am »
KJ,

I think based solely on room interaction the difference between what I heard at Jeff's house and my Lorelei's is got me in a position where I don't know why I'd want a sub with these.  Jeff's room is much larger than mine, and I think he's got them further into the room than I do as well.  I've got mine about 2 1/2 - 3 feet into the room.  

I see you're in Mequon, if'd you'd like a listen to the Lorelei's agian, you're welcome over here.  I can't set you up with any close to Dodie's type food, but I can provide a listen!

Brian.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2004, 04:25 am »
I use a Velodyne sub and have the crossover set at 40hz. Regards, Robin

KJ

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2004, 05:45 am »
Byteme,

Thanks again for the offer.  I might take you up on it after I've sampled some additional speakers for comparison.  The journey never ends.

My listening room is rather large in comparison (~20' x 30' with 12' cathedral ceilings), so I believe a sub will be a requirement for moderately sized floor standers (unless I trade my wedding band for some monolithic speakers with huge woofers).  I currently have a Paradigm PW-2200 which I believe might fit in better when kept to the lower end of the bass range.  It seems that most people tend to keep the crossover at 80Hz or less, but I'd like to have the front channels providing as much bass as posisble.

-KJ

Captain Humble

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2004, 11:52 am »
KJ,
I truly enjoyed meeting you and your bother.

If you and byteme ever decide to start a regional circle up in WI, I'd like honorary member status. :beer:

My Loreleis sit 37 inches from the back wall.

The sub was an ACI Titan IILE and it does integrate seemlessly with the Loreleis. I suspect it will do the same with most speakers. They've dropped the IILE from the name so for your purposes it's just a Titan.  That could become a bit confusing if you buy a used one because the older model was called a Titan II.  Audio Concepts Inc. (ACI) is located right in WI.  Here's a link and and address.
http://www.audioc.com/

ACI division of Audio Concepts, Inc.
901 S. 4th Street La Crosse, WI 54601

Enjoy the rest of your stay in the Metroplex.
Jeff

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2004, 05:55 am »
With subs,  it's a hit and miss,  more depending on the room, and of course,  the x-over points more than anything else.  Personally,  I wouldn't mate the Loreleis with a sub,  but then again,  that's also a very personal choice as well.

Late,

Klaus