I may have to get the soundscapes

gthomas

I may have to get the soundscapes
« on: 10 Jul 2010, 05:38 pm »
   I am having a very hard time talking myself out of selling my Ht3 and the HTC and getting a pair of SS12s.  I am courious as to whether I can also sell my JL audio f113 subs and just use the SS as subs.  Any thoughts on that?  What are those of you who are getting the soundscapes going to use for a center channel?

rahimlee54

Re: I may have to get the soundscapes
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2010, 06:16 pm »
I don't know if you would need a sub for HT, but 2 ch on the SS12 gives a whole lot of bass.  Shaking pictures off of walls and vibrating the floor at least 10ft away.

gthomas

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2010, 06:21 pm »
  Yes, I know I wouldn't need a sub for 2-channel.  I don't use a sub now with my HT3s and they are great with music.  I just don't know whether they would handle the LFE of movies or not.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2010, 08:19 pm »
Looking at your not-so-large room, (if you have buyitis) maybe you could upgrade your electronics instead.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2010, 01:02 am »
  Yes, I know I wouldn't need a sub for 2-channel.  I don't use a sub now with my HT3s and they are great with music.  I just don't know whether they would handle the LFE of movies or not.

I dunno bout that. I've actually heard HT-3's with a pair of subs and I liked it,, a lot.  8)  Unless you've actually tried it, I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss the idea. There's a lot to be said about having a pair of subs that are spread out within your room, away from your main loudspeakers.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

gthomas

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2010, 03:56 am »
  thanks for your suggestion charmerci, but I think I'll keep my Denon AVP A1HD and the POA A1HD.  They sound very good to my ears.  Also thank you Satfrat for suggesting that I might enjoy the subs with my HT3s.  I assure you that with a pair of JL Audio F113, I have played with many combinations.  I just prefer my 2-channel pure and without subs if the mains can handle it, and the HT3s can.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2010, 04:25 am »
  thanks for your suggestion charmerci, but I think I'll keep my Denon AVP A1HD and the POA A1HD.  They sound very good to my ears.  Also thank you Satfrat for suggesting that I might enjoy the subs with my HT3s.  I assure you that with a pair of JL Audio F113, I have played with many combinations.  I just prefer my 2-channel pure and without subs if the mains can handle it, and the HT3s can.

Okey-dokey with your "pure".  :lol:   :thumb:

srb

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2010, 05:53 am »
I would probably sell the two JL F113 and buy one JL F112 (or keep one F113 and sell one), crossed over to the HT3 (or SoundScape) at 40-60Hz.  Take the strain off of the HT3 (or SoundScape) for the really low movie effects, but still have enough for dinosaur stomps and exploding planets.

Since you don't really need multiple distributed subs for music, it seems like a bit of overkill for HT, particularly with the HT3 (or SoundScape) splitting the load.

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2010, 10:49 am »

A friend recently upgraded from your very good Denon pre-pro to the even better Classe SSP-800 (here is a very positive review:  http://www.avguide.com/review/tas-194-class-audio-ssp-800-multichannel-controller).

BTW, the HT3's are very good speakers (having owned them for a few years), but you can do better.  I am sure they Soundscapes would help move your system to a new level.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2010, 11:15 am »
A friend recently upgraded from your very good Denon pre-pro to the even better Classe SSP-800 (here is a very positive review:  http://www.avguide.com/review/tas-194-class-audio-ssp-800-multichannel-controller).

BTW, the HT3's are very good speakers (having owned them for a few years), but you can do better.  I am sure they Soundscapes would help move your system to a new level.

George

An $8,000 AV preamp that doesn't decode the latest audio formats?   I can't see buying that, even if the article touts how it's beneficial to decode these in the Bluray player.  That means the player will likely downsample and you'll not get the high resolution sound (now, whether you'd notice a difference is perhaps a different issue). And, it's not network connected, so you have to "manually" update it.  I really don't see the appeal of this unit, other than to provide a high quality preamp.  But I still think for 8K you could get an excellent preamp and so-so receiver/AV preamp and come out with something better.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2010, 01:12 pm »
An $8,000 AV preamp that doesn't decode the latest audio formats?   I can't see buying that, even if the article touts how it's beneficial to decode these in the Bluray player.  That means the player will likely downsample and you'll not get the high resolution sound (now, whether you'd notice a difference is perhaps a different issue). And, it's not network connected, so you have to "manually" update it.  I really don't see the appeal of this unit, other than to provide a high quality preamp.  But I still think for 8K you could get an excellent preamp and so-so receiver/AV preamp and come out with something better.

Bob,

Why do you believe that you have to downsample when using a player via analog outputs?  That is definitely not the case.

I used to think that all the decoding had to be done in the processor, but I am starting to rethink that.  A high quality and affordable source such as Oppo BDP-83SE (stock or modified) really has changed how I look at things.

George

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2010, 01:44 pm »
The Classe' in both it's iterations (SSP-800 and CT-SSP) now decodes the the HD formats.  There was a DSP upgrade a while back.  There is a good review by Kal in the latest Stereophile.

kingdeezie

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2010, 01:47 pm »

George

That's a beautiful processor, but...

The whole HDMI spec is a revolving door, and with the advent of 3D TV and eventually 3D projectors; this thing in a reference HT becomes obsolete very quickly.

Unless you are rich, spending 8K every two-three years constantly upgrading the HT side of your processor becomes financially irresponsible.

The other day I was thinking about how great it would be to have ONE thing that can do it all well; and while this may look like it, kinda touch to slam down that cash and need to upgrade in a year or two.

gthomas

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2010, 02:35 pm »
   Lets don't argue about the Pre-Pro guys.  the AVP A1HD is a very fine unit.  It had all of the codecs and they worked a year before the others had theirs.  I sold my Anthem D1 to get the Denon.  As for Kal, He a great reviewer, but he is never going to "stoop" to the level of a Denon.  He might like it.  I started this thread with a couple of questions regarding the subs and the center channel.  Why don't we just stop the thread.

K Shep

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2010, 02:51 pm »
   I am having a very hard time talking myself out of selling my Ht3 and the HTC and getting a pair of SS12s.  I am courious as to whether I can also sell my JL audio f113 subs and just use the SS as subs.  Any thoughts on that?  What are those of you who are getting the soundscapes going to use for a center channel?

Reading thru this thread it reads as though you've made up your mind regarding sub(s).  I am using a f112 in a 2 channel only system, along with an external x-over, PEQ unit.  My system has never sounded so good.  I was skeptical adding a sub for 2 channel but I took the time and tried a few different approaches to integrate the f112.  YMMV

srb

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2010, 03:06 pm »
I was skeptical adding a sub for 2 channel but I took the time and tried a few different approaches to integrate the f112.  YMMV

gthomas' mileage will vary.  You have smaller monitors.  He has full range speakers, and possibly even fuller-range ones in the future.

Steve

kingdeezie

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2010, 04:40 pm »
I apologize I jacked the thread.

If you want an honest opinion on your dilemma, if you really want the SS12s, sell your HT3 and your subs if you must but don't get rid of the center channel if you watch movies with the same system.

I tried to go phantom center once, and anything that uses Dolby TrueHD gets significantly compressed in the downmixing of the center channel to the mains.

I noticed this immediately when watching The Dark Knight on Bluray.

K Shep

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2010, 04:48 pm »

gthomas' mileage will vary.  You have smaller monitors.  He has full range speakers, and possibly even fuller-range ones in the future.

Steve

Thank you for your .02... :scratch: I think.
I understand that Steve, is it ok if I participate in this thread?

srb

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2010, 05:37 pm »
Thank you for your .02... :scratch: I think.
I understand that Steve, is it ok if I participate in this thread?

I don't mind at all.  $.02 is $.02.  Mine is no more or less valid than yours.

Steve

K Shep

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2010, 07:44 pm »

I don't mind at all.  $.02 is $.02.  Mine is no more or less valid than yours.

Steve

Good.  IMO when adding a sub to a 2 channel system it is critical to utilize an external x-over or some sort of EQ to roll the low freq to the sub.