SongTower's and bass

Mr_Superstar

SongTower's and bass
« on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:53 pm »
I posted this over at the AVA circle, during the discussion Frank proposed about HT bypass options.. I thought you guys would get a kick out of the story:

Funny story.. so I have been listening to music using my "Pure Direct" mode on my Marantz for a while and have been very satisfied with the sound. After a number of storms here over the course of the week (Kansas City weather has been crazy this year...) I decided to make sure the amplifier on my subwoofer didn't explode or anything. So while I was listening, I noticed the LED on my subwoofer was still red. I was very concerned for about 10 minutes, until I remembered that in "Pure Direct" mode, the front speakers are set to Large and the subwoofer is disabled.

So I've been listening to music for a few weeks with no subwoofer, all while thinking it was on :).

I'm not saying the SongTower's NEED a subwoofer, as mentioned above, there is plenty of bass already. However, there is plenty of time where the extra bass is welcome (I listen to a lot of metal and I want to "feel" the song).

Nuance

Re: SongTower's and bass
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2010, 10:41 pm »
Hehe, pretty cool, man.  The certainly put out considering the size of the drivers.

sfox7076

Re: SongTower's and bass
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:40 am »
I love my Salk's and sometimes listen to them with the subwoofer off (Stereo mode w/o room correction on my Anthem).  The bass is there and it is clean and refined.  However, I usually have my Rythmik subwoofer on, so the bass is always there.  I have spent the last few days listening to my Salk SongTower RTs next to Spirit-1s from Aether audio.  The bass from the Spirit-1s is really deep compared to the Salk's.  Adding in the Rythmik sub puts the SongTowers clearly ahead as the mid-range and high end on the RTs is leaps and bounds above the Spirit-1s.    So, in sum, the Spirit-1s have better stand alone bass, but you would have to pry my SongTower RTs from me to get them out of here.  Or, I guess I would have to sell them to buy HT-2TLs.  Heh. 

Shawn