Htc long lost younger brother, :)

ricardojoa

Htc long lost younger brother, :)
« on: 7 Jul 2010, 02:47 pm »
I was browsing audiocircle and found that selahaudio carry some moniotors that looks very much like the veracity HTc. They also use seas midwoofer and raal ribbontweenter combination, which make them very comparable. www.selahaudio.com/id188.html

and this
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm by ricardojoa »

Nuance

Re: Htc long lost younger brother, :)
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2010, 10:50 pm »
They do look very similar.  Good find.

Edit: posted edited because I meant no offense.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2010, 12:45 am by Nuance »

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2010, 11:09 pm »
Bad form posting this in the Salk circle IMHO.

Best,
Ed

ricardojoa

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2010, 11:30 pm »
Bad form posting this in the Salk circle IMHO.

Best,
Ed
Only if you have a negative thought. I dont see anything wrong, although they arent salk, they use the same brand drivers, probably around the same level and it makes them very comparable. Each will have its own dis and adv.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2010, 11:55 pm »
I don't really understand the intent of your post.  You haven't asked any questions and haven't made any statements, other than to say that they are "comparable".

Since using similar drivers doesn't mean the speakers will sound at all similar, please tell us how the construction, interior details and bracing, and most importantly the crossover design, differs or compares.

Steve

coke

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2010, 12:12 am »
I don't see anything wrong with it  :scratch:  Seeing different companies use the same products just helps support their value and performance.

It's like different race car teams using the same suspension, brakes, motor, etc...., but if the car isn't properly tuned or put together (Jim and Dennis), then it won't amount to much.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:19 am »
The drivers if they are indeed the same ones Salk uses are definitley high quality, but just putting drivers in a box doesnt tell the whole story, the overall design, porting, shape, crossover circuitry, box volume, baffles, bracing, etc...In the end to tell if these are really as good as SALKS where is the frequency plots, on and off axis, and in the end its the ear that will tell the truth how good these are etc...

Dont really know how close to Salks they really are just because they have similar or same drivers...doesnt make it so.

There are a few other DIY kits that use like drivers but arent that great in their final product.

All the best
Alex

Note: I am about 15  miles from this vendor!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:30 am »
I personally don't see any problem with someone letting you know that others are offering speakers with similar drivers.  I've know Rick Craig for over 10 years and have always enjoyed hearing his offerings.  He held the first Do-it-Yourself Crossover contest that got me started in this avocation.  I haven't heard the designs at issue,  so I can't comment.  But even if the crossovers match or exceed my efforts, I'm pretty darn sure the cabinets won't match Jim's standards.

kip_

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:41 pm »
I personally don't see any problem with someone letting you know that others are offering speakers with similar drivers.  I've know Rick Craig for over 10 years and have always enjoyed hearing his offerings.  He held the first Do-it-Yourself Crossover contest that got me started in this avocation.  I haven't heard the designs at issue,  so I can't comment.  But even if the crossovers match or exceed my efforts, I'm pretty darn sure the cabinets won't match Jim's standards.

I own two of Rick's designs and the cabinets for his monitors are largely sourced from Parts Express or Madisound. They are solidly constructed, fairly attractive and non-resonant but nowhere near as fancy as Salk. Naturally they are less expensive, too. His floorstanders and line arrays, on the other hand are built by his cabinetmaker. He also sells a great deal of diy kits which consist of an assembled crossover, drivers, wiring, port tubes, etc, and you build the cabinet.

kip_

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:44 pm »
The drivers if they are indeed the same ones Salk uses are definitley high quality, but just putting drivers in a box doesnt tell the whole story, the overall design, porting, shape, crossover circuitry, box volume, baffles, bracing, etc...In the end to tell if these are really as good as SALKS where is the frequency plots, on and off axis, and in the end its the ear that will tell the truth how good these are etc...

Alex - full frequency plots of the Prestigio are posted here at the bottom of the page

http://www.selahaudio.com/id188.html

The floorstander has the same internal volume so should have a similar frequency response.

ricardojoa

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:55 pm »
I posted this because i wanted to share, i did  not have any intention, nor interested in argue whether they are comparable to salk. I thought they look similar to the salk and uses seas and raal drives was quiet a coincidence specially in MTM form. I mean, is not something you see everyday. Also, is only valid after salk has changed to using raal tweeter. 

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2010, 12:46 am »
No worries, ricardojoa; it was a good find. 

Kris

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2010, 02:26 am »
Rick wanted to do an Audio Circle speaker shootout, but i don't think he got many makers (if any) interested. I would like to see a shootout in the future, but i also understand the risks and controversy it can pose to the manufacturers.

Sparks

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:06 am »
While it may not be considered poor form, cross-posting speaker designs within the same forum is hardly archeology.

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2010, 06:56 pm »
Rick wanted to do an Audio Circle speaker shootout, but i don't think he got many makers (if any) interested. I would like to see a shootout in the future, but i also understand the risks and controversy it can pose to the manufacturers.

It's risky when any manufacturer puts his/her product up against competition...especially in such a subjective environment as acoustic perception.  A lot of companies won't do it.  But the other side of the coin is the possibility of great marketing potential in this age of the internet, and the long tendrils of word-of-mouth preferences.  Sometimes confidence and risk are rewarded. 

In September, we're running a comparison of ID speakers, a couple of which are AC members.  But we are trying to use unique protocols that attempt to avoid the "winner"/"loser" reporting.  We'll attempt, in fact, to expose biases in some ways, and treat the auditions as less of a "shootout", and more as a public service...to simply report our individual experiences of various loudspeakers.  We'll try to avoid the controversy of the usual A/B blind testing and admit up-front that the perfect comparative test does NOT exist (even at Harman).  (That said, we will be doing some A/B/X testing, though.  As well, we'll be doing in-room measurements.)  To some extent, you'll be able to see the individual biases right alongside the auditioner's experience with the various speakers.  The event should be fun as well as enlightening.   :D 

Rocket

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2010, 02:41 am »
Hi,

I've often wondered about Rick's speaker designs.  They do use very good quality components and some of the speakers look pretty good.

I guess considering that I live in Australia and I already have a pair of salk sound ht2's my next speakers will probably be from Jim again.  Its a risk living in a different company and I now know the level of quality and sound of his designs. 

Good post though.

Regards

Rod