I LOVE my Bryston BP-26!!!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I LOVE my Bryston BP-26!!!
« on: 6 Jul 2010, 12:02 pm »
Well I DO love my Bryston BP-26!  :drool:
I have grown to love it more as I realize just what a perfect preamp it is.
At first Iwas not certain I made the right choice for my needs. But at about six months in.. it is JUST what I needed. Thanks Bryston!!
Whoo Hoo!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: I LOVE my Bryston BP-26!!!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2010, 12:24 pm »
Well I DO love my Bryston BP-26!  :drool:
I have grown to love it more as I realize just what a perfect preamp it is.
At first Iwas not certain I made the right choice for my needs. But at about six months in.. it is JUST what I needed. Thanks Bryston!!
Whoo Hoo!!

Hi Elizabeth - thanks for the kind words. I think the BP26 is our unsung hero at Bryston. 

In overseas markets the BP 26 is very well received but in North America it has never attained the recognition it has achieved elsewhere in the world.  Maybe it's because we are known as an amplifier manufacturer in NA?

james
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2010, 06:55 pm by James Tanner »

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2010, 12:35 pm »
I think people do not realize what a transparent preamp it is. I first decided to look into it when a reviewer had it listed as hiis personal preamp. Made me think: This guy could have ANYTHING and he has a Bryston BP-26....

95Dyna

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2010, 01:17 pm »
Hi Elizabeth - thanks for the kind words. I think the BP26 is our unsung hero at Bryston. 

In overseas markets the BP 26 is very well received but in North America it has never attained the recognition it has achieved elsewhere in the world.  Maybe it's because we are know as an amplifier manufacturer in NA?

james

Hi James,

Unsung hero is a good way to put it.  Other descriptions come to mind such as underrated, best kept secret et al.  The BP26 is a victim of its own prowess as it quietly and conservatively does what a preamp is supposed to do and that is just get the signal from in to out with minimal damage.  As a result it gets overlooked especially with the SST2's, BCD-1 and BDA-1 getting all the press of late.  The BP26 doesn't get any bad reviews it just doesn't get many at all.  Having one gives me the confidence that what's coming in is exactly what's going out.  It makes tweeking and troubleshooting much easier since you can eliminate it right off the top as a variable.

And Elizabeth, thank you for starting an unpolluted thread featuring this stellar component.  It deserves to be the center of attention.

Regards,

Bill

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:33 pm »
Preamps are the most over-looked, under-appreciated components in a system IMO.  For some reason or another, they're not sexy enough for a lot of people to put enough thought into them.

Most people think they don't need one, or that they just switch sources and adjust volume.

IMO the preamp is the brain of the system, the amp is the muscle, the source is the heart, and the speakers are the soul.

Napalm

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:54 pm »
In overseas markets the BP 26 is very well received but in North America it has never attained the recognition it has achieved elsewhere in the world.  Maybe it's because we are know as an amplifier manufacturer in NA?

North America is mostly Home Theater. And the small part that isn't prefers "warm" sound. Better hurry up with the SP3.0   :wink:

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:59 pm »
IMO the preamp is the brain of the system, the amp is the muscle, the source is the heart, and the speakers are the soul.

And RIAA is the....

:oops:

Nap.

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2010, 06:35 pm »
North America is mostly Home Theater. And the small part that isn't prefers "warm" sound. Better hurry up with the SP3.0   :wink:

Nap.

Don't know if you can substantiate that claim with hard facts but assuming you're right let me register as the lone exception to that rule.  I have no interest in home theatre, am a complete 2 channel audio enthusiast. I like what comes off the source to be the same as what goes out of the speakers i.e. if I don't like what I'm hearing shame on me for buying a bad piece of software.  A preamp such as the Bryston BP26 will do nothing to disrupt that process and that is the primary reason I have one.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2010, 02:05 am »
So I take it that no one is going to “bash” the BP-26 on this thread either  :P

Be well...

dspgolf

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2010, 02:36 am »
Just bought a bp26P and 4 BSST2 combo going on a month now and I must say what an incredible combination it is!  This pre-amp lets  you hear deep into the music to reveal subtle nuances that i was shocked were in the music.  All I can say at this point is I'm really enjoying rediscovering my music collection and will be a life long Bryston owner and a very happy one at that for years and years to come.  My hats off to the folks at bryston you are great and please keep the amazing components coming!   :thumb:

werd

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2010, 03:24 am »
Just bought a bp26P and 4 BSST2 combo going on a month now and I must say what an incredible combination it is!  This pre-amp lets  you hear deep into the music to reveal subtle nuances that i was shocked were in the music.  All I can say at this point is I'm really enjoying rediscovering my music collection and will be a life long Bryston owner and a very happy one at that for years and years to come.  My hats off to the folks at bryston you are great and please keep the amazing components coming!   :thumb:

Thats an epic combo, i owned it for a year....  :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:46 am »
I think all of the Bryston preamps are underrated! And the phono stages as well! They are absolutely wonderful. Very quiet and dynamic.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2010, 06:52 pm »
Don't know if you can substantiate that claim with hard facts but assuming you're right let me register as the lone exception to that rule.  I have no interest in home theatre, am a complete 2 channel audio enthusiast. I like what comes off the source to be the same as what goes out of the speakers...

You're not the only exception.   HT does very little for me.  I don't watch stuff that is enhanced by more speakers too often.  When I hear a great HT setup with great source material, it's more of a novelty thing to me than anything else.   Everyone likes what they like, and more power to them. 

I like my music as music.  I like it as it's intended, not colored up, warm and wrapped in honey, etc.  Smooth and warm systems sound pretty good for a few minutes, then I either fall asleep, or get sick of hearing the system's interpretation rather than the artist's.   Again, everyone likes what they like.  Doesn't make me feel superior nor inferior. 

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2010, 06:03 pm »
I agree.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2010, 07:45 pm »
And RIAA is the....

:oops:

Nap.

I was going to use one with a guy with his arm in there up to his shoulder, but out of good taste I declined.

Growing up sucks.