Full Music 211Mk2 tubes

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Full Music 211Mk2 tubes
« on: 3 Jul 2010, 03:20 pm »
  Anyone had any issues with this tube ? Meaning failure. Or frying ones output trannie ? Anyone in NYC that can test a 211 ?

thanks,
charles
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2010, 02:46 pm by rollo »

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: TJ Meshplate 211
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2010, 03:34 pm »
Did you notice arcing? It sounds like the grid wire snapped and hit the filament or plate. Could have been gas too. If the grid hit something chances are that part of it vaporized or you might see a short between the grid and the filament or plate with an ohm meter.

Note: I had an 813 short out on me and the ohm meter did detect it. You could also hear the loose wire rattling around in there.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2010, 03:53 am »
The problem with testing these is IMO they should be tested under real world conditions, like with 1KV on the plate and biased up correctly. I suspect there are few, if any tube testers that will do this. Even something like the Transcendent tube analyzer, which is made for testing tubes are real operating parameters can only manage a bit over 300V.

It wouldn't be hard to build a test setup for this provided you already had a suitable high voltage power supply. Not something to mess about with tho, very lethal.

I have a pair of these but I've never even taken them out of the box. Supposed to only have about 30 hours use on them, no idea if that's accurate. I think they are the meshplate, they are definitely TJ Full Music.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:22 pm »
Then If I understand right big triodes can not be tested for power capacity, but they still can be tested for capacitances or am I wrong??

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2010, 12:12 am »
Testing for anode/grid and grid/filament capacitance would be easy enough but I'm not sure what it would tell you. As Blair mentioned, testing for a short with an ohm meter is also an easy test.

What I described above would allow you to test a real power levels but would have to be custom built, not something most folks are willing to do.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2010, 01:32 am »
Testing for anode/grid and grid/filament capacitance would be easy enough but I'm not sure what it would tell you. As Blair mentioned, testing for a short with an ohm meter is also an easy test.

What I described above would allow you to test a real power levels but would have to be custom built, not something most folks are willing to do.
Thanks Mike for inform.  I was thinking that capacitance test was useful or important.
Gustavo

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2010, 03:19 am »
Think about the various posts above I came to a conclusion:  seems all big triodes sold worldwide by factories and tube brokers are not tested for power capacity by the non-existence of a proper Tube Tester.
Some the these tubes as 211 or 845 are sold at very hi prices, even being untested in power health. :scratch:

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2010, 11:03 am »
The Chinese 211 and 845's are tested at real levels and come with a sheet showing the results. It's entirely possible some sellers have built testers specifically for power triodes. My statement was that standard testers won't do this.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2010, 04:33 pm »
Again thanks Mike for your detailed input.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:07 pm »
Again thanks Mike for your detailed input.

As always Mike your input is appreciated. thanks

charles

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2010, 05:57 pm »

Anyone in NYC that can test a 211 ?

thanks,
charles

Charles, the only person I know of that might be able to properly test these big power triodes is Andy @ Vintage Tube Services in Michigan.  Here is a link. http://vintagetubeservices.com/Default.htm

Jake

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2010, 02:59 pm »
Charles, the only person I know of that might be able to properly test these big power triodes is Andy @ Vintage Tube Services in Michigan.  Here is a link. http://vintagetubeservices.com/Default.htm

Jake

Thanks Jake.

charles

JakeJ

Re: Full Music 211Mk2 tubes
« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2010, 03:43 am »
It appears Full Music gave up their North American distibutor.  <snip>
Well then, we can give this one rest now.  Kinda disappointing, too, as I was thinking of purchasing some TJ Full Music 12AX7s.  Heard they were the bomb sonically.  Oh well.