Unity Gain on Insight SL+ Preamp

adydula

• Restricted
Unity Gain on Insight SL+ Preamp
« on: 3 Jul 2010, 01:35 pm »
Frank,

I found away to integrate the Insight SL + Preamp into my HT setup via the following method:

Here is a post I found that explains it but the idea is solid:

"I've done this with several different stereo preamps and been very happy with the results. Unfortunately, the AVA Preamp doesn't have an HT Bypass, so you'll have to do this the slightly harder way.

1. Turn off and unplug the power for all components
2. Connect your 2 channel sources to the AVA Preamp, including the L/R stereo outputs from the Oppo, for CD playback.
3. Connect the main L/R pre-outs from the Onkyo 805 to the AVA Preamp.
4. Connect the left and right outputs of the AVA Preamp to the Ultravalve.

When listening to 2 channel sources, don't turn on the Onkyo 805 only the AVA Preamp, and operate as a normal stereo system.

For multi-channel sources, you will need to set the volume control on the AVA Preamp to unity gain. This is usually the 12 o'clock position or the middle of the adjustment range, but you will need to experiment to find it. What you are trying to do is have the main left and right signals from the Onkyo 805 pass through the AVA Preamp without being attenuated or amplified. It doesn't have to be perfect, but you do want it to be close. Once you have found the unity gain position for the AVA Pramp volume control, mark it, so you will be able to go directly to it next time. Now re-calibrate the speaker settings on the Onkyo 805, or the Oppo, if you are using its analog outputs.

For MC playback, turn on the Onkyo 805 and the AVA Preamp. On the Onkyo 805 select the appropriate input. On the AVA Preamp select the input that the main L/R pre-outs from the Onkyo 805 are connected to and set the AVA Pramp volume control to the unity gain position you previously marked. The Onkyo 805 will be the master volume control.

As a precaution, you should always set all volume controls to minimum before powering up the system.

There are also ways to hook-up the main L/R hi-rez outputs from the Oppo to the AVA Preamp, but it can get complex and uses a lot of cables.."

My question is is there a setting on the volume control that equates to this 'Unity Gain' position?

Thanks
Alex

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Unity Gain on Insight SL+ Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2010, 04:57 pm »
While I'm sure he'll shoot you an answer, here's my experience with my combo system using an Outlaw 990/Ultra Pre/FET Valve 550/Omega 240-3. I leave the volume on the pre set to the high end of normal listening, in my case (clock analogy) 10. Then when you run the HT balance program in the Processor, it takes care of adjusting the gain on the fronts.

This eliminates the possiblity that someone might forget to set the 2 channel volume down after an HT session, as on my system it does bump up the L/R output to match the other surround channels. Not familiar with the 805, but am guessing it would work the same, since the processor controls the entire surround volume for HT use.

Hope that helps.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2010, 08:28 pm »
Thanks Arthur,

Makes sense to me, I think this will be the same with the Onkyo and with the Audessy Calibration for HT movies...

Just have to wait 3 weeks or so for the toys to show up..

All the best
Alex

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2010, 11:19 pm »
Alex,

Sweet toys they are, I'm sure you'll really enjoy them. The UltraValve is on my 'wish' list, for when work picks back up. And of course there are upgrades available for most all my AVA gear except the DACs, since the Vision is now the sole flagship.

Have fun when they arrive.  :thumb:

JD