How long does meat (beef) last in a freezer?

ctviggen

How long does meat (beef) last in a freezer?
« on: 1 Jul 2010, 03:52 pm »
So, I'm thinking of trying to buy some grass-fed, locally raised beef:

http://www.eatwild.com/products/connecticut.html

(This is for CT, but other states are on the main page.)

The problem is that many of these places sell half a side of beef, which is anywhere between 200-300 pounds.  Even if I split this with one to three other people, that' be 50-100+ pounds of beef.  It's going to take a while to eat that. 

So, how long does beef last in a freezer (that is, a true freezer that needs to be defrosted, not a frost-free freezer)?  And how does one make it last?

sts9fan

Re: How long does meat (beef) last in a freezer?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2010, 04:02 pm »
I am a memeber of a meat CSA here in MA.  The nice thing is you pick up every month so this is not an issue.  I bet you could find one locally.  Either way its not going to go bad like in gonna kill ya.  It will get frezzer burn and dry out.  If its vacuum sealed like mine I think it will last over a year. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2010, 05:54 pm »
It will last for several years if properly wrapped to avoid freezer burn.  Even freezer burned meat is ok to eat- essentially freeze dried beef... works in stews and chili. I've bought beef quarters for years with no issues.   Supposedly in Siberia they used to eat mammoths found in glaciers- 10 000 years in ice.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2010, 05:57 pm »
Great, thanks.  I'll still have to have someone go in with me, as 200-300 pounds is a lot of meat.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2010, 07:18 pm »
I bought a half of a steer 2 years ago and finish the last of it about mid march. Everything was fine. However, I think there are some things to consider. The meat should be wrapped in butchers paper. The freezer should average in temperature around -10 degrees. I done this for years and have had no problems. It is important to "rotate the product" so as you don't find something 3 years old. I think pork freezer burns easier then beef, because it's a drier meat to begin with.

On the other hand, a half of a beef is really too much meat for a couple, and we usually do get a mixed quarter. That seems to last about 9-10 months which is what I feel is better anyway.

It's the better way to buy beef. Pay a little more for high grade hamburger and way less for those delicious 1.25 lb T-bones.

Wayner