Replacement USB Cables - Do They Make a Difference?

MorganE

Hi Vinnie,

I wondered if you had tried out any aftermarket USB cables with the Isabellina HPA?  I am considering replacing my stock cable with the Transparent Performance USB cable.

One other question, what are your thoughts on cable length for the Isabellina HPA?

Thanks,

MorganE

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Replacement USB Cables - Do They Make a Difference?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2010, 03:39 pm »
Hi MorganE,

You might find this thread either to be helpful, or confusing  :lol: :

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60877.0

There is some feedback from users who are using the Isabellina dac with different USB cables. 

One other question, what are your thoughts on cable length for the Isabellina HPA?

I used up to 15-ft cables (the stock ones that I provide also come in 15-ft length) which sound mighty fine with my Macbook and Isabellina HPA.  I didn't notice any degradation vs. 6-ft.  Still sounded superb at 15-ft!  8)

No matter what USB cable you try, I highly recommend that you purchase from someone that offers a refund policy just in case you don't hear enough of an improvement to justify the cost...

Keep us posted,

Vinnie

MorganE

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2010, 01:14 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for your prompt response, and for the thread reference.  It also included some information (from you) on 'hot swapping', etc. - which I wasn't aware of - and I will be more careful in future as a result!

If I do try a new USB cable I will be sure to post my impressions.  Just getting some pricing at this point.

Have a great 4th of July weekend!

MorganE

kaka

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2010, 11:49 pm »
They all sound different - I've got the one that came with an Isabella, another that came with a Empirical Audio Offramp and a Locus Nucleus (and I've sold a Locus Polestar).

Compared with the purpose designed Locus cables, the generic cable suppressed the dynamics and presentation markedly, and was certainly not showing what computer based playback can provide.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2010, 12:23 am »
They all sound different - I've got the one that came with an Isabella, another that came with a Empirical Audio Offramp and a Locus Nucleus (and I've sold a Locus Polestar).

Compared with the purpose designed Locus cables, the generic cable suppressed the dynamics and presentation markedly, and was certainly not showing what computer based playback can provide.

I couldn't agree more.  :thumb:  I went up the ladder, from Belden to Kimber, then the Locus Design Axis to finally the Nucleus. It's like nite to day to spotlight in what a high quality USB cable will bring out for your computer audio. I can easily recommend either the Axis or the Nucleus to anyone with the means to afford one.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

werd

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2010, 12:32 am »
I use the wireworld starlight and it made a big improvement over a generic one. The wirewold usb cables are oddly affordable considering the cost of their other cable types.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2010, 12:36 am »
I use the wireworld starlight and it made a big improvement over a generic one. The wirewold usb cables are oddly affordable considering the cost of their other cable types.

So are a lot of other "reasonably priced" USB cables. Do the comparison with the higher priced USB cables, then come back and talk.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

werd

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2010, 12:56 am »

So are a lot of other "reasonably priced" USB cables. Do the comparison with the higher priced USB cables, then come back and talk.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Actually i plan on getting a few different types of usb under my belt in the future. The wireworld is a good place to get started for sure.  I bought a 7 meter here on AC for 80 bucks.....

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2010, 01:36 am »
 :D $1150.00 for 3 feet.that Nucleus must be good...... :D

skunark

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2010, 01:43 am »
Gotta love threads like these.. bits either arrive or don't and with USB when it doesn't you lose about 1ms of data.  Sad that a $1000 USB cable makes a difference of course I plan to stay very very far away from USB.  After a few hours of research, I would probably stick with optical or coaxial outs and live with the jitter in picoseconds vs milliseconds of data loss.  Perhaps one day I will become enlightened assuming I can ignore my desires to understand the physical limitations of isochronous protocols over digital cables.

low.pfile

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2010, 02:18 am »
Gotta love threads like these.. bits either arrive or don't and with USB when it doesn't you lose about 1ms of data.  Sad that a $1000 USB cable makes a difference of course I plan to stay very very far away from USB.  After a few hours of research, I would probably stick with optical or coaxial outs and live with the jitter in picoseconds vs milliseconds of data loss.  Perhaps one day I will become enlightened assuming I can ignore my desires to understand the physical limitations of isochronous protocols over digital cables.

Context. Context. Context, people. This is a RWA Circle...MorganE's original post is related to the Isabellina DAC. Some DACs benefit from better quality USB cables than others. Any one using a Isabellina and tried different cables?
Morgan, try another cable that has a return policy. let us know what you hear.

@skunart, I've heard different output when switching USB cables on my non-RWA DAC, so it's not just millsecond timing or bit = bit. but that is another thread.

cheers

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2010, 02:33 am »
If you don't open your mind to the possibility that some USB implementations may be superior to non-USB, you are shorting yourself. Not saying categorically that USB beats all others, but some implementations of USB do offer sonic benefits. RWA happens to be an implementation that benefits from USB. Let your ears be the judge.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2010, 04:21 am »
A few years ago, after borrowing several boutique USB cables, I became convinced that USB cables made no difference that I could hear.

More recently I had a friend who was trying to convince me on how a properly designed "audio" USB cable sounds so much better than a generic one.  So I told him I acquired a  specialty USB cable, but didn't tell him what brand or model.  I invited him over for an audition, and switched between the generic cable and the "specialty" cable while he listened.  He wasn't blind to the test - I let him know which one he was listening to.  I switched them in and out, back and forth a half dozen times.

Each time he became more convinced that the specialty cable "removed a veil" and had "better separation of instruments".  He felt it also had a "larger soundstage" and definitely a "blacker background".

I then revealed that they were both the same $1.49 USB cable from the same manufacturer.  One was beige and the other was black.

The human mind is a wondrous thing.

Steve

Well Steve, I've always respected your opinion and have considered you to be a straight shooter but I simply couldn't disagree with you more than with this "it's all in your mind" explanation.

Guess I can't agree with you every time around.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

sporter

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2010, 06:13 am »
Hello,

Not to say some people don't hear differences with their USB cables or their lengths, but for me I've been using a 15 foot cable with the RWA Isabella, it is either a Belkin or Monster (I can't even remember now), from Fry's... it was the only cable they had at the max length of 15 feet.

I couldn't be happier, the system sounds great -- detailed, full, deep, all the adjectives.  For a little while I was worried that the longer cable (or a "non-audiophile" USB cable), would introduce more "jitter" or something, given all the postings from other people on various sites...   I dunno, I don't think I am hearing it...  but then I'm probably deaf...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2010, 02:09 pm »
Context. Context. Context, people. This is a RWA Circle...MorganE's original post is related to the Isabellina DAC. Some DACs benefit from better quality USB cables than others. Any one using a Isabellina and tried different cables?
Morgan, try another cable that has a return policy. let us know what you hear.

I agree 100% with low.pfile - Please help keep this thread on topic with MorganE's original post.

I do not wish this to become a dispute or flame-war about if USB cables make a difference.  This should be about discussion of those who tried different USB cables with their Isabellina, and what they found the results to be. 

I don't want to have to lock the thread or move it to an area about general disputes about USB cables making a difference, etc. (if there is even a section for this on Audiocircle). 

Thanks for your understanding.

Vinnie

rediazvh

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2010, 12:20 pm »
hi guys. newbie here

next week im planning to purchase RWA isabellina in australia, as a live there. i have simple yet a very important question for me. i read from many forums and thread that  most people hook up their isabellina DAC to mac, mac air, or other apple stuff. while i'm using toshiba laptop & 1terabyte HardDisc as my music server, i just wondering do i will have the same sonic quality by using non-mac laptop compare to if i'm using mac (via usb) ?
how significance the difference then...

thx. any answer appreciated!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2010, 01:12 pm »
hi guys. newbie here

next week im planning to purchase RWA isabellina in australia, as a live there. i have simple yet a very important question for me. i read from many forums and thread that  most people hook up their isabellina DAC to mac, mac air, or other apple stuff. while i'm using toshiba laptop & 1terabyte HardDisc as my music server, i just wondering do i will have the same sonic quality by using non-mac laptop compare to if i'm using mac (via usb) ?
how significance the difference then...

thx. any answer appreciated!

Hi rediazvh,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA Forum!

I just responded to the emails that you have sent to me this weekend and answered all your questions.

I would like to keep this thread on-topic about  "Replacement USB Cables" for the Isabellina dac.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Vinnie

texendo

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jul 2010, 09:16 pm »
I've posted about this before.  I have used the Polestar USB for over a year now between my iTunes/MacBookPro and the Isabella.  The improvement in sound was readily apparent.  Musical presentation is noticeably "meatier" with more weight in the bass and has a noticeably more separated, three dimensional sound.  Even before I got the audiophile grade Polestar I played around with a couple different USB cables I had lying around my computer.  I could discern minute differences between them.  I too was once ready to dismiss the idea of USB cables making a difference since "they are just transmitting 1's and 0's."  Clearly, that is an oversimplified concept of what is actually happening.  I just placed my order for the Nucleus USB and will post my impressions.

Eadron

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2010, 07:21 am »
  I just placed my order for the Nucleus USB and will post my impressions.

Hi all,

good USB cable definitely makes a difference. I have been using Locus Axis for a over a year and a half now and occasionally swap it to standard USB..there is no question about it which sounds best to my ears  :thumb:..

Can't wait to hear your impressions about Nucleus  :drool:..

Jouni

texendo

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jul 2010, 01:44 am »
I've run the Nucleus USB cable (6ft) from Locus Design for a couple days now to replace the Polestar USB from the same company.  No surprises.  It sounds palpably better.  Much more individual voice separation, deeper frequency response, but the best thing is that is sounds more analog/smoother/relaxed/whathaveyou.  Cons?  The blinged out cable covering brings to mind a rapstar's grill (which seems to usually sell in these circles).  I think it actually has something to do with shielding, but it could still use a simple piece of black techflex (or cashmere at the price).  Price/diminishing returns apply.  The difference between the Nuclues and the Polestar is maybe half the difference between stock and Polestar.  The Polestar will make you feel foolish you didn't get it earlier, the Nucleus will make you grateful you could afford the upgrade.  Cobalt anyone?